Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

How good is Seventh Son of a Seventh Son on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Not my favorite from SSOASS, but not far away. Doesn't deserve a ten, but surely a nine.

8/10, Nice melody, love the slow part (kinda reminiscent of Rime) and the way the crescendo builds and then the soloing starts... powerful stuff.

10- lots of 10's on this album.  What an amazing song, so haunting and cinematic.  I think the slow midsection here is a bit more interesting than Rime even though they are similar.  Amazing song.

Such a majestically track! No soft beginning as the usual epics, no, this one starts with a thunderous riff (makes me think of The Legacy-riff by some reason).
Bruce sings on the top of his lungs, and even delivers the tongue - twisting chorus with bombast. The spoken verse that follows leads us into the second part of the song. The quiet break slowly builds and unleashes maybe the best Maiden solos of the decade. The last minute pumps out epic harmonies and we're done.

The song is even better live, it it was easily my favorite song of the evening when I saw them on the Maiden England tour 2013. This one has to be my favorite versions recorded, and yes it's better now then it was '88. Love the harmonies the third guitar ads at the end.

10/10

Last edited:
Yeah, they're playing at a slower tempo than on Maiden England and it sounds much better, and Bruce isn't struggling with the chorus.

Geez, is Michael Kenney wearing face paint and vampire teeth? :D It's at 7:48 and 9:07.

Yeah, they're playing at a slower tempo than on Maiden England and it sounds much better, and Bruce isn't struggling with the chorus.

Geez, is Michael Kenney wearing face paint and vampire teeth? :D It's at 7:48 and 9:07.

Yes, he's him! :D

Although, easy 10, no question needed.

Such a majestically track! No soft beginning as the usual epics, no, this one starts with a thunderous riff (makes me think of The Legacy-riff by some reason).
Bruce sings on the top of his lungs, and even delivers the tongue - twisting chorus with bombast. The spoken verse that follows leads us into the second part of the song. The quiet break slowly builds and unleashes maybe the best Maiden solos of the decade. The last minute pumps out epic harmonies and we're done.

The song is even better live, it it was easily my favorite song of the evening when I saw them on the Maiden England tour 2013. This one has to be my favorite versions recorded, and yes it's better now then it was '88. Love the harmonies the third guitar ads at the end.

10/10
But they do repeat the same line in the chorus 8 times in a row. :p

Doesn't deserve anything other than a 10/10. Masterpiece. One of the best things they've ever done, IMO. One of my favourite choruses. Atmospheric spoken word mid-section. And the last two minutes, with the guitar duels, are some of my favourite two minutes of their entire discography. Incredible soloing

7/10. The chunking slow gallop through the verses gets a bit monotonous, and the chorus is meh. Once it hits the instrumental, it rocks, but it just takes too long to get interesting.

10/10

One of their best. The last 3-4 minutes of the song might be the best ever written. Was amazing to witness this one live in 2013 and 14.

10, easily, and what a way to finish off what I consider the strongest 4 song run in the entire Maiden discography. Every part of this song is wonderful and I would rate this song as a firm member of my top 5 Maiden songs ever.

My only real qualm with the song is where it is placed in the album as it confuses the hell out of me. I personally listen to this between Moonchild and Infinite Dreams and it just seems to make more sense to me in terms of storyline.

Rankings:

Previous Albums:

Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

Killers - 5.91

6 - The Ides Of March
6 - Wrathchild
6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
5 - Another Life
5 - Genghis Khan
5 - Innocent Exile
8 - Killers
5 - Prodigal Son
8 - Purgatory
6 - Twilight Zone
5 - Drifter

The Number Of The Beast - 7.56

6 - Invaders
7 - Children Of The Damned
8 - The Prisoner
7 - 22 Acacia Avenue
9 - The Number Of The Beast
10 - Run To The Hills
6 - Gangland
5 - Total Eclipse
10 - Hallowed Be Thy Name

Piece Of Mind - 7.44

8 - Where Eagles Dare
9 - Revelations
9 - Flight Of Icarus
7 - Die With Your Boots On
8 - The Trooper
7 - Still Life
6 - Quest For Fire
6 - Sun And Steel
7 - To Tame A Land

Powerslave - 6.75

8 - Aces High
7 - 2 Minutes To Midnight
3 - Loss Fer Words
7 - Flash Of The Blade
5 - The Duellists
6 - Back In The Village
9 - Powerslave
9 - Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

Somewhere In Time - 8.00

8 - Caught Somewhere In Time
9 - Wasted Years
8 - Sea Of Madness
8 - Heaven Can Wait
8 - The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
7 - Stranger In A Strange Land
8 - Deja Vu
8 - Alexander The Great

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

7 - Moonchild
9 - Infinite Dreams
9 - Can I Play With Madness
9 - The Evil That Men Do
10 - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

7/10. The chunking slow gallop through the verses gets a bit monotonous, and the chorus is meh. Once it hits the instrumental, it rocks, but it just takes too long to get interesting.

I second this opinion. A good song overall, but not more than that.
7/10

Back