Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

How good is Seventh Son of a Seventh Son on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'seventh Son Of A Seventh Son'

Seventh Son is most definitely the best song on the album. To me, it's the perfect climax for the album. It also has what is IMO the best instrumental section ever.

Stranger's definitive rating: 5 stars!

The drum-work in seventh son is simply amazing. Especially nearing the end of the song. Nicko's just giving it everything. He really did well on that song. Probably one of his best drumming tracks.

I like the part where you can hear a guitar playing one string, then it echoing, and then it comes again with more strings, and again, etc. That part really makes me picture Adrian playing out in the enviroment on the Cover Design. Him on the ice, while the land of Ice and snow echos his notes. I love it.

Very awesome track, but it's not quite perfect. 4.5 stars.

Easily the best song on the album and blessed with a great instrumental section. The way it slowly builds up to a climax is simply awesome. I really dig the live versions of this song where the sound is a bit more raw.

4 out of 5 from me! Must have been one of my best live experiences... back in '88. The (first AND last) Dutch Monsters Of Rock gig in Tilburg, NL had Maiden headlining over KISS, another all-time favourite of mine. KISS SUCKED, trying to set a new the world record for playing as many songs possible in one fifty-minute set. They really let me down that day... Then came... MAIDEN! Ultimately kicking every arse present at that venue their overwhelming performance worked the attending crowd like none of the (sometimes mediocre) bands I watched before that day did!

Off course I already owned a copy of 7th Son months before the M.O.R. gig, giving me lots of time to memorize every lick, lyric and drumfill on the album. So I came prepared and made sure I was absolutely front-row during the Maiden show! Needless to say they played incredibly. By the time the band broke into "7th Son" my two hands automatically started playing the (air)synthesizer, accompanying the guitars during the intro, much to the amusement of Davey, who even gave me a "thumbs-up" during Adrian's first lead-break (wich I off course mimed on air-guitar).

The following year saw the release of "Maiden England". The N.E.C. gig featuring virtually the same set as they played in Holland brought back the spine-tingling experience I hadn't felt since I saw them play the song live. The original recording, like so many of Maiden's studio work, truly pales in comparison to their live rendition of the song!

So for me it might not be the best song recorded on the album (I actually think that, in terms of creativity, it would be "The Prophecy", an odd choice perhaps, and "Only The Good...") I really feel "7th Son" has to be one of my all-time best live experiences! So still 4 out of 5!!!!

OMG... I actually posted a something serious. Must....take....pills..... [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

A great song! Along with "Infinite Dreams" one of the two best songs on the album and probably at top-10 Maiden song of all time. 4.5/5

The only reason I didn't give this song a 5/5 is because the middle spoken section has a really over-the-top Spinal tap feel. I get images of dwarves dancing around a miniature stonehenge whenever I hear that part. (Am I alone on this?)

Daily Song: Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

This song is universally recognized as a masterpiece. I do like it, but I find it to be a bit too long and very synth-heavy. I enjoy it, but I can't say I love it. I am just as happy to not listen to it as I am to listen to it, but I never mind listening to it.

It should be noted that I feel very similarly towards this song as I do towards Infinite Dreams, The Clairvoyant, and The Prophecy. I am really not the biggest fan of Seventh Son as an album, so...I am strange.

Anyway, 8/10.

Re: Daily Song: Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

In my opinion, I find this to be the weakest track on the album. Not that it isn't a good track, it's not bad at all - and the instrumental bit is the best part of it. I can't really justify giving this more than 7 when "The Evil that Men Do" only gets 8 from me.

10. One of Maiden's all-time finest pieces, I think it's perfect from start to finish.
The begginign is very mystifying and gets you in the mood tto the birth of the son, and then you're thrown all over the place as the battle between good and evil erupts with a non stoping barrage of solos, right to the end.

So yeah, it's a great song.

The part from where Bruce finishes talking onwards is one of Maidens finest moments. Before I explain why that's awesome I should clarify that the first part of the song would also get a 10/10 for me without the second part. The intro sets the tone for the epicness and I love the lyrics about the SSoaSS which are very cool. Bruce is great, and his mystical voice fits perfectly into the song. The first part also maintains the epic scale set by the intro.

"So it shall be written, so it shall be done" cues one of Maidens greatest moments. Initially in the calmer part I find that Nicko's steadily increasing in volume drum, kind of hypnotises me. Then, later, H and Davey unleash fabulous solos. The melodies later on are awesome and the song also ends really well, which is also important.

My third favourite Maiden song and a definite 10/10.

Another epic! It basically destroys everything else on the album! Especially the vocal part!

10/10.

Add this to what Jonszat said: 7th Son, contains one of the finest solos in Maiden history. With total running time 1:32" is the catalog's longest solo ,played in one time. An orgasmic crescendo in four parts, something that has been never done before, or after.

Check this out:

07:04" -07:24" Dave's guitar opens the moment, with an incredible tone that fits awesomely with Nicko's insane drumming and Adrian's rhythm behind. And only this could be one of my favorites, but it's just the start. A short bridge follows, to prepare us for the next step.

07:38" -07:48" Higher: Dave's guitar now screaming. A scream which will lead to another bridge.

07:57" -08:17" Higher: Adrian does one of the most extra-ordinary entrance with a holding accord and continues in a lunatic way. Check what he's doing at 08:08" And continues continues for ten more seconds...A mortal listener should be exhausted to this point. Mighty Maiden show mercy and decide to give us a rest; they proceed with a third -and final- bridge.

08:27" -08:36" And Higher: Adrian take us to heaven (or if you like hell) with his magic fingers and his screaming tone. Notice the low passage 08:31"-08:33" and how he gets immediately after to higher notes and ends his solo.

This sonic experience, is part of Maiden most legendary solo moments, along with Powerslave, Stranger in a Strange Land, Prodigal Son & No Prayer for The Dying.
Also to add that I love the fact, that there's no vocal once the instrumental part takes off.
10/10

8/10 - I tend to agree with the first two posters, it is a good song, but it feels a bit forced, like there needed to be an epic song on this album at any cost. Don't get me wrong, it's got some nice moments, but it's also a bit over-synthed, and the quiet mid-section is basically a copy (atmosphere-wise) of ROTAM's mid-section.

It's a solid epic, but IMO Maiden have done several better ones.  I know most people absolutely worship it, but for me it's never caught on quite as much.  It's still in the top three of the album, along with TETMD and Infinite Dreams, and possibly the best of those three.  I give it a solid 9.

______no5 said:
A mortal listener ...

...  This sonic experience, is part of Maiden most legendary solo moments ...

That was a nice read! Have a praise!
:ok:

Good song, and it has many different nice parts (I especially like the rhythm behind the opening verses, and the slow build-up in the middle), but it just doesn't excite me enough to give more than: 7/10.

This mighty title track is renowned for its threatening character. The heavy riffs during the couplets are spellbinding. Where ___no5 enlightens us when he talks about the solos in the second half, I prefer the first half the most. These haunting melodies by Dave in the pre-chorus and the at least as spirited melodies of Adrian in the "post"-chorus evoke the innermost feelings from my soul.

Of course there is the sublime midpiece, which is one of the most atmospherical parts of the whole Maiden catalogue. During this lengthy part Nicko's hi-hat work should not be underestimated. The lyrics (and the way they are sung by sorcerer Bruce) are intruiging. And when Bruce stops, he is not missed at all. The music takes over and enlarges our vision into second sight. ;)

Last but not least: This keyboards have a very important role, and the song would not be the same without them.
A top 10 Maiden song, easily.

10. So shall it be written, and so it shall be done.

Since I'm a wee bit drunk, I'm thankful to Foro for describing pretty much the very reasons for why I'll give this song a 10. Maybe I will put a bit more emphasis on the 2nd half of the song than Foro, but I alslo love the rest of the song.

10, so it shall be voted.

Back