Seventh Son of a Seventh Son: Full Concept Album?

A

Anonymous

We all know about Seventh Son of a Seventh son being a story of someone born with such gifts. I have reaosn to believe it is all part of one story:

Moonchild:

In the Commentary it is mentioned it is about a knowledge ceremony. I believe it is about Satan coming to a woman about to have her seventh son. He tells her that this child should be killed because he has forseen horrors the child will commit.

"I am he the bornless one
The fallen angel watching you
Babylon the scarlet whore
I'll infiltrate your gratitude
Don't you dare to save your son
Kill him now and save the young ones
Be the mother of a birth strangled babe
Be the devils own Lucifers my name"

I assume the mother says she'd rather kill herself and save her son but Satan is furious and tries to explain further what this child means to the world.

"I count the heads of those unborn
The accursed ones I'll find them all"

He then threatens her if she kills herself.

"If you die by your own hand
As a suicide you shall be damned"

He then pulls on the Satan part by telling her that if she runs to the light he will have her cursed.

"And if you try to save your soul
I will torment you - You shall not grow old
With every second and passing breath
You'll be so alone your soul will bleed to death"

He then sees what is happening, the future holds that this child will cause a war between heavena nd hell if he is to have seven sons.

"The twind they are exhausted seven is the night
Gemini is rising as the red lips kiss to bite
Seven angels seven demons battle for his soul"

He says she will not have to face penance for her sin of murder.

"When Gabriel lies sleeping this child was born to die"

He leaves and we are left with the result. She ultimatly cant bring to murder her son and he enters the world. The mother also kills herself.

"One more dies one more lives
One baby cries one mother grieves
For all the sins you will commit
You'll beg forgiveness and none I'll give
A web of fear shall be your coat
To clothe you in the night
A lucky escape for now young man
But I'll see you damned in endless night"

Infinite Dreams:

The first Seventh son is born and this song is him contemplating the dreams he has. This is basically self explanitory.

Can I Play with Madness:

The Seventh Son comes looking for an answer to his dreams and goes to a Prophet who sees everything and tells him not to have his sons but he doesnt listen. The Prophet says he is too ignorant to understand.

The Evil that Men do:

The child goes off and its obvious he gets a girlfriend. They screw alright.

"Slept in the dust with his daughter
her eyes red with
The slaughter of innocence"

He was obviously caught and his parents are furious and he proffesses how much he loved her and how evil a world is that won't allow him to love.

Afterwards they run away together and have the sons. Starting witht the Seventh son of a Seventh Son being born in Seventh Son of a Seventh son that takes place years later.

In the commentary it says that Only the good Die Young is not directly Related.

Only the Good Die Young:

The Seventh Son of a seventh Son after choosing his path to be good in The ClairVoyant, He is ultimatly killed by his powers.

well, it's a good idea, because the word "seventh" apears in many of the songs!!
Such as in "The evil that men do" - "the seventh lamb slayed, the book of life opens before me...."

but we can be pretty sure about seventh son, the prophecy and the clairvoyant is about the same story.

The album is based on a book series. I read them all and I can't definetly tell you that The Evil that men do and Can I play with madness have nothing to do with it. The 7th son didn't killed himself either but the song is indeed related to the books. I agree with Moonchild however, but Satan is called the destroyer in the books.

my theory (although i completely see where your interpretation of moonchild comes from and i think i agree more with it)

Moonchild: The 7th son is born. Lucifer, knowing of his powers, through threats to his parents is trying to win over the 7th so as to control his powers.

Infinite Dreams: The young boy is seeing increasingly frightening dreams, which are the result of the dawning of his powers, which he does not know of yet. The nature of the dreams fills the 7th son with worries and unanswered questions.

Can I Play With Madness: The accumulating questions as well as the increasing fear drive the 7th son to ask a prophet in search of answers. The prophet understands the young boy's nature and his ignorance of his powers. Thinking of the harms they could cause if the boy were won over to the "left side", he avoids answering and tries to scare the boy away from finding any answers, threatening him that his soul would "burn in a lake of fire".

The Evil That Men Do: At this point, Satan again tries to win the 7th son to his side. He sends his virgin daughter to him as bait to lure him over. The 7th son sleeps with the virgin which leeds to "the slaughter of innocence". His awarness has become more acute and he is very close to discovering what he is.

Sevent Son Of A Seventh Son: The spiritual rebirth of the 7th son takes place. He realises his powers and the only thing remaining is to see if he will use them for good or for evel, "which path will he take".

The Prophecy: The son has chosen the good side. Lucifer again tries to win him over, this time through other means. Lucifer prepares a disaster to the village, knowing that the 7th son will foresee it and try to warn the others. Lucifer is depending on the nature of mankind, as the villagers disbelieve the 7th son and mock him. The people now turn against the 7th son acusing him that he "brought down a curse" with his false predictions. Lucifer hopes that this ungreatfulness will push the 7th son to rethink about the side he has chosen. Disaster comes, as predicted.

The Clairvoyant: Human ungreatfulness and the futility of trying to use his powers for good have taken a great toll on the 7th son's heart. As his courage is diminishing and his powers grow stronger each day, the young boy has started to be scared of them once again. he is scared that he will no longer be able to be in control of them. he prepairs to "meet his maker".

Only The Good Die Young: The Seventh Son, in his dying moments, spits at humanity's hypocrisy, foretells the doom of all and questions the purpose of his own being.

gor read my mind! but i linked the clairvoyant and only the good die young by the line in the clairvoyant "for all his power he couldn't forsee his own demise" and the title and pretty much theme of the next song makes me link them together, because Only The Good Die Young sounds like something you wouldn't expect,...and according to tristian's theory, since the seventh son chose to be good, he died young, where being evil he would've probably lived to cause great terror. excuse me if it sounds stupid but i can barely see [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Maybe side 1 is about the parents before the birth (ETMD is about the conception, CIPWM is about the father getting warnings about his son, ID is him dreaming and Moonchild is an intro to the story. On the track SSOASS the Seventh Son is born and from there it's the story of his life.

Something I just thought of.

thats what my thoughts have always been Ancient Mariner ill go with you side 1 before birth and side 2 when SSOSS is the birth up to his death ill go with you ancient one

Yeah I never really thought of it before now. In Seventh Son it says 'Today is born the Seventh One...' which might indicate that's the moment it's born.

[!--QuoteBegin-The Ancient Mariner+Jan 24 2004, 04:35 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The Ancient Mariner @ Jan 24 2004, 04:35 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] In Seventh Son it says 'Today is born the Seventh One...' which might indicate that's the moment it's born. [/quote]
Your powers of deduction amaze me! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I've always been told deduction's my strong point [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-gor+Nov 14 2003, 08:52 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(gor @ Nov 14 2003, 08:52 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] my theory (although i completely see where your interpretation of moonchild comes from and i think i agree more with it)

Moonchild: The 7th son is born. Lucifer, knowing of his powers, through threats to his parents is trying to win over the 7th so as to control his powers.

Infinite Dreams: The young boy is seeing increasingly frightening dreams, which are the result of the dawning of his powers, which he does not know of yet. The nature of the dreams fills the 7th son with worries and unanswered questions.

Can I Play With Madness: The accumulating questions as well as the increasing fear drive the 7th son to ask a prophet in search of answers. The prophet understands the young boy's nature and his ignorance of his powers. Thinking of the harms they could cause if the boy were won over to the "left side", he avoids answering and tries to scare the boy away from finding any answers, threatening him that his soul would "burn in a lake of fire".

The Evil That Men Do: At this point, Satan again tries to win the 7th son to his side. He sends his virgin daughter to him as bait to lure him over. The 7th son sleeps with the virgin which leeds to "the slaughter of innocence". His awarness has become more acute and he is very close to discovering what he is.

Sevent Son Of A Seventh Son: The spiritual rebirth of the 7th son takes place. He realises his powers and the only thing remaining is to see if he will use them for good or for evel, "which path will he take".

The Prophecy: The son has chosen the good side. Lucifer again tries to win him over, this time through other means. Lucifer prepares a disaster to the village, knowing that the 7th son will foresee it and try to warn the others. Lucifer is depending on the nature of mankind, as the villagers disbelieve the 7th son and mock him. The people now turn against the 7th son acusing him that he "brought down a curse" with his false predictions. Lucifer hopes that this ungreatfulness will push the 7th son to rethink about the side he has chosen. Disaster comes, as predicted.

The Clairvoyant: Human ungreatfulness and the futility of trying to use his powers for good have taken a great toll on the 7th son's heart. As his courage is diminishing and his powers grow stronger each day, the young boy has started to be scared of them once again. he is scared that he will no longer be able to be in control of them. he prepairs to "meet his maker".

Only The Good Die Young: The Seventh Son, in his dying moments, spits at humanity's hypocrisy, foretells the doom of all and questions the purpose of his own being. [/quote]
Great commentary! I always thought that Seventh Son is a full concept album, and I must agree with everything you said. However, I also think there's more to this topic. Seventh Son is not just a concept album about the story, if you look closer, you may notice that a lot of songs have a secondary meaning behind the story. What I mean is, that most of the songs (Infinite Dreams, The Evil That Men Do, The Clairvoyant, Only The Good Die Young) are questioning the meaning of life, and asking questions about the afterlife. I know this element was pointed out in Mavs commentary, but think we should look at both aspects of the album. However, I think there can be other aspects as well, but I haven't paid too much attention to them.

i dont really understand the line seventh lamb slayed the book of life opens before me­ if gor's theory is right what is the meaning of that it has no common sense with gor's one
thank you

I didn't read the whole topic, because english is quite hard for me, young french, but here are two of my ideas about the question :
- Moonchild : I think this song tells us the creation of the second seventh son's soul. The sentence "I am he, the bornless one" makes me understand that this being haven't got a body, and is waiting for his hour, the hour of his physical born.
- I don't think that is a coincidence if a love song like "the evil that men do" is situated just before the born of a child.
- But I don't reach to join Infinite Dream and Can I play to the story [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I hope that the english is not too bad, and see you soon comrades !

[!--QuoteBegin-chewwwi+Feb 27 2004, 03:27 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(chewwwi @ Feb 27 2004, 03:27 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] i dont really understand the line seventh lamb slayed the book of life opens before me­  if gor's theory is right what is the meaning of that it has no common sense with gor's one
thank you [/quote]
the slaying of of the seventh lamb... revelations, chapter 5, verse 6

symbolises sacrifice of sth sacred in order for a plan to be fulfilled, just like the virginity of the devil's daughter... she is the seventh lamb that is sacrificed for the devil to win control of the seventh son!

whoever it was who said it was based on some books is semi-correct. There may be a series of books, but the original story is in fact from the Bible. That doesn't really have much t do with the significance and meaning of the album though.

i saw an article on the "seventh son" song on www.songmeanings.com which triggered my thoughts. for the first time i am led to believe that the songs are indeed one story, but their order is not a linear narration of the story. Seventh Son should be the second song, and it's lyrics are describing again, but in more detail l what has already happened in moonchild - the birth.

on the evil that men do, the son's self awareness happens in the end of the evil that men do, the seventh lamb (the innocence of the seventh son) is slain, and the book of life (self awareness) opens before him!.

other than these adjustments, i still stick to my story. after all, one can interpret the songs as one likes! [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Well i agree mainly with gor, but one questions comes to mind. Does the Seventh son dies or kill himself?
I don't really know what to think because the line "but for all his power he could not foresee his own demise" makes me think that the seventh son is now aware of when he's going to die, BUT on the other hand, always in the clairvoyants, he reckon he's going to meet the maker.
And above all, in "Only the good die young", while expressing his feelings towards humanity, he says "so I think I'll leave you, with your bishops and your guilt....etc." which means he knows he's going to die. And is this what really makes me wonder: is he killing himself or he's just aware he's dying?
My theory is that he commits suicide, in order because he's too unsatisfied, and in anger with humans and life and because he wants to go beyond to learn the truth and so find out the reason for life and what there is beyond it (which as many of you have said it's the parallel story to the album, the discovery of what life is and if there's anything after that!). [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

This is my interpretation of the story:

Moonchild: The seventh son's soul or future is created.
Infinite Dreams: The one destined to be his father is having visions. Maybe. On the other hand, this could simply be a very obscure description of his craving for love, a meaning to his life.
Can I Play With Madness: This one's very hard to put into the storyline. It could be about a forbidden love between the Seventh Son's father and his future wife
The Evil That Men Do: Quite easy this one, it could be about the parents of the Seventh Son. Maybe the mother died at his birth.
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son: The Seventh Son is born
The Prophecy: The Seventh Son's powers unfold
The Clairvoyant: The all-deciding vision
Only The Good Die Young: The Seventh Son's death.

There is another possibility. Maybe the story is told in flashbacks. This could explain the lack of an understandable chronological storyline.

Moonchild: This song may actually be about the Seventh Son's death.
Infinite Dreams: Somebody who is in some way unknowingly connected to the Seventh Son (maybe he is one himself) is having these odd dreams, and he has no idea what they're about.
Can I Play With Madness: This person seeks spiritual help. He talks to the "prophet", who is unable to find anything extraordinary with this person. He can be convinced to tell the story, beginning with "The Evil That Men Do".

Back