Senjutsu charts position

Maiden failing to beat him in the charts as a sign of their diminishing popularity is frankly ridiculous.

I would be willing to put money that any of the Maiden albums that did get to number one in the UK were not going head to head with a big name artist also releasing an album in the same week. So it's nothing new.

Probably naive by Maiden not to have scheduled their release a week earlier, but maybe there was also a big name with an album out last week too.

I'm talking about box office attraction. Maiden averages prob 15-25k per show, right? nobody but Metallica on your list does that kind of business on the road. their competition in terms of gate attendance is much greater than even the heavyweights of metal/hard rock. only Metallica and AC/DC compare. i won't include GnR bc they tour too infrequently. Maiden's competition in touring revenue is almost entirely within the pop heavyweights.
Metallica and AC/DC are a level above Maiden in terms of box office pull.

Maiden can't do worldwide stadium tours to 60k every night. They tend to mix it up. Arenas in the States and parts of Europe/Aus, Stadium's in South America. They generally compete on the level of Def Leppard, Nightwish, Slipknot, Motley Crue, Whitesnake, Judas Priest etc.

Metallica or AC/DC have the same box office pull with The Stones, U2, Springsteen etc. The top tier. Maiden couldn't do a sold-out stadium tour of the states.

Maiden can't do worldwide stadium tours to 60k every night. They tend to mix it up. Arenas in the States and parts of Europe/Aus, Stadium's in South America. They generally compete on the level of Def Leppard, Nightwish, Slipknot, Motley Crue, Whitesnake, Judas Priest etc.

Metallica or AC/DC have the same box office pull with The Stones, U2, Springsteen etc. The top tier. Maiden couldn't do a sold-out stadium tour of the states.
Iron Maiden are way above all the groups that you mention as being in the same tier . Nightwish ? Judas Priest ? Whitesnake ? Seriously ?

I would be willing to put money that any of the Maiden albums that did get to number one in the UK were not going head to head with a big name artist also releasing an album in the same week. So it's nothing new.

Probably naive by Maiden not to have scheduled their release a week earlier, but maybe there was also a big name with an album out last week too.
Similar sales numbers to TBOS would have easily given Iron Maiden the n.1 in the U.K versus drake. TBOS had phenomenal first week numbers in the U.K, not many albums reach over 60k in one week there.

Iron Maiden are way above all the groups that you mention as being in the same tier . Nightwish ? Judas Priest ? Whitesnake ? Seriously ?
Yes. I suggest you look at the size of their most recent tours and then compare them to Maiden's most recent tours.

Yes. I suggest you look at the size of their most recent tours and then compare them to Maiden's most recent tours.
Again are you serious ? Even talking strictly about the U.S (cause worldwide the difference is bigger than gigantic), WTH are you talking about ? The bands you mention barely draw more than 5k in one of their concerts. I guess Slipknot draw big in the U.S, the retro bands (which make no new music and only tour) like Motley Crue, Def Leppard e.t.c can draw big in special events (like all touring together ) as a nostalgia act. Bands like Priest, Nightwish e.t.c are just a cut above club bands.

Last edited:
Maiden's streaming figures aren't too bad when compared with Foo Fighters. Maiden having 3,000 equivalent units to Foo Fighter's 6,000. I would have expected Foo Fighters to smash Maiden in those metrics, but really both bands streaming figures are tiny.

Again are you serious ? Even talking strictly about the U.S (cause worldwide the difference is bigger than gigantic), WTH are you talking about ? The bands you mention barely draw more than 5k in one of their concerts. I guess Slipknot draw big in the U.S, the retro bands (which make no new music and only tour) like Motley Crue, Def Leppard e.t.c can draw big in special events (like all touring together ) as a nostalgia act. Bands like Priest, Nightwish e.t.c are just a cut above club bands.
All of those bands are arena/festival headliners. Heck, Slipknot even have their very own festival in the states. Maybe if you don't narrow your view to America only you'd know this.

But if you stick to America only, Leppard are at least the equal of Maiden there. They're sold many times the albums that Maiden have. That translates into concert tickets.

All of those bands are arena/festival headliners. Heck, Slipknot even have their very own festival in the states. Maybe if you don't narrow your view to America only you'd know this.

But if you stick to America only, Leppard are at least the equal of Maiden there. They're sold many times the albums that Maiden have. That translates into concert tickets.
Don’t narrow my views to America ? I am not even from America and I am saying the exact opposite, that the U.S is the weakest territory for Maiden. None of these bands are arena bands (esp. OUTSIDE the U.S) , how are Judas Priest, Whitesnake, Nightwish e.t.c arena bands ? Slipknot are mostly popular in the U.S. Def Leppard sold more albums in the U.S......35 years ago. Today they are a nostalgia act that doesn’t make new albums (the one they made 10 years ago flopped) and is only relevant in the U.S.

2 day festival in my country in 2018, first day Judas Priest +Accept+Saxon around 12k, next day Maiden around 40k.

I'm genuinely surprised at how many here haven't even heard of Drake considering he's been the biggest pop star in the world for the past 5 years or more.

But to echo some of those above, Maiden failing to beat him in the charts as a sign of their diminishing popularity is frankly ridiculous. Chart positioning has never been a priority for the band, not even in the 80's nor a sign of how big they were. None of their 80's album made the top 10 in the US but they still embarked on sold-out arena tours.

When Maiden hit the road they are consistently one of the top 10 touring acts that year. That's always where their strength has been and to claim it's all over because they only made it to #3 in the states (highest ever positioning) is simply doom mongering.
exactly. and the only reason that Maiden has fared higher in the charts is that they aren't "radio friendly". they never made a conscious effort to release a chart single like every other hard rock band outside of Metallica (up until Black album that is). chicks didn't go out and buy Maiden albums in the 80's because they were never played on radio (in US at least) and their boyfriends already owned them!

I'm not saying Maiden is equal to Metallica and AC/DC but they, like those two acts, are in the top 1% of touring acts regardless of genre. Metallica and AC/DC are the two biggest rock/metal bands of all time. They are clearly the two top dogs.

None of these bands are arena bands (esp. OUTSIDE the U.S) , how are Judas

I've picked the most recent tours for all bands pre-Covid. Arena, arena, arena, festival headliner, arena etc....

Back