Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

That one verse/chorus can only do so much heavy lifting...
The instrumental part is more than the vocals (like in most of the album), but it's not about that - it's just that they are so good, the melodies too. The song indeed has only one verse/pre-chorus/chorus (maybe the only Maiden epic with such stats?), but it also has the calm part with vocals and the ''Love in anger, life in danger'' part, while a song like TTAL for example has only two verses and a pre-chorus.

The song is in my Top 10.

Edit: Senjutsu is probably the Maiden album with the most instrumental passages.

Last edited:
The instrumental part is more than the vocals (like in most of the album), but it's not about that - it's just that they are so good, the melodies too. The song indeed has only one verse/pre-chorus/chorus (maybe the only Maiden epic with such stats?), but it also has the calm part with vocals and the ''Love in anger, life in danger'' part, while a song like TTAL for example has only two verses and a pre-chorus.
I should clarify that my issue with the song isn't that it only has 1 verse and 1 chorus. My issue is that I don't think the rest of the song is very good.

There is a section around 4.5 minutes long starting when the song kicks in around 2:15 that's some of the best work the band has ever done. If I rated the song on that alone it would easily be my favourite on the album. Unfortunately, those 4.5 minutes is not even half of the song, and the other half loses the plot for me.

Mine eventually arrived today!

Shipped from Lithuania

Mine still didn't arrive and I've received mail on December 23rd that it was shipped.
Yesterday I found out that the submissions are closed so I replied to the mail but I suppose that I'll never get the response :/

Has anyone gotten their corrected booklet for the boxset yet? Last I saw was an email in, I think, December, saying they were shipping soon.

Has anyone gotten their corrected booklet for the boxset yet? Last I saw was an email in, I think, December, saying they were shipping soon.

I received one from EMP almost immediately after the release date.

I ordered one from the Warner website as well to be on the safe side. That arrived on Tuesday.

Question to people like @Gk1 and @Magnus who mostly dislike modern Maiden but do like Senjutsu: why is that? The more I play the album the more I feel like if you don’t care for the previous five records you shouldn’t dig this one either. I’m very interested if there’s something specific about how they did this album or if it just clicks for you where the others don’t.
That is easy. As @hennkris said, the great and non-repetitive choruses are a huge step in the right direction.

Indeed Stratego and Days of Future Past are songs that were missing in the previous albums.

I feel that most of the songs have real meat on their bones and the structures of Senjutsu, Hell on Earth, Death of the Celts even The Parchment move away from the normal "intro-verse-bridge-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus" structure.

The instrumental parts are long and interesting. The solos I think are the best they have done in ages.

Bruce is ot straining his voice as much. He is in a vocal region where he sound confident and energetic.

But mostly what makes this album so much better for me is that is sounds more focused and with real sentiment for the lack of a better word.

The album is our for more than 5 months now and even the muddy sound -although annoying- is not enough to steer me away from this album.

It is the only album for over 27 years where I honestly thought most songs on each album were fillers. I think just one falls in this category IMO, and even that one (Lost in a lost world) has some good parts.

Of course the album is far from perfect, but it's got some really high "highs".

Question to people like @Gk1 and @Magnus who mostly dislike modern Maiden but do like Senjutsu: why is that? The more I play the album the more I feel like if you don’t care for the previous five records you shouldn’t dig this one either. I’m very interested if there’s something specific about how they did this album or if it just clicks for you where the others don’t.
Dunno Diesel, there's something in it that previous stuff lacked for me. Maybe it's because once again there are songs that flow instead of hiccuping, or there's some music interesting enough to keep my attention without going into rubbish unbearable all of a sudden, no idea really. There's enough of what you call modern Maiden to still make me like it less than the other seven albums but there are also parts that make my brain, hands and feet respond in a way long forgotten. And parts that make me cringe in a way too familiar as well. Perhaps you're right I shouldn't dig it but it is the way it is you know.

Every song in Senjutsu starts with an intro - this is a quite common feature on most Maiden albums (even in the short songs).

Other Maiden albums with such a feature IMO are:

The Book Of Souls (not sure about DOG and TOAC?)
The Final Frontier (not sure about The Alchemist?)
A Matter Of Life And Death (not sure about Different World?)
Dance Of Death (not sure about Wildest Dreams and Rainmaker?)
The X Factor
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
(not sure about OTGDY?)
Somewhere In Time
The Number Of The Beast
Killers
Iron Maiden

Edit: my definition of an intro is when a song has at least 30 seconds of instrumental introduction/or plus vocals before it really starts.

Last edited:
Back