Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Not having a go at you per se Niall, since you explicitly mention in your post that the build up in songs is to lead to a pay off, so obviously you understand what's being attempted by Steve you just think he hasn't succeeded.

My post was more a facetious jibe at some of the comments on here ( and elsewhere) that seem to miss the point of all manner of things regarding the build up of songs, the matching of the mood of sections to what is happening in the narrative of the lyrics and things like that.

Not sure why I brought age into it, that was out of order, and not accurate.
I think we're the same age ish anyway :D

I'm 42, I think you're a bit younger than that. not young enough to be up on a high horse though!

Maiden’s epics are like ordering a footlong from subway instead of a 6’’. If it’s so damn good, why cut it down? The longer the better. :ph34r:

Maiden’s epics are like ordering a footlong from subway instead of a 6’’. If it’s so damn good, why cut it down? The longer the better. :ph34r:
Yeah but once you get to the end of that footlong you're beginning to feel a bit stuffed, a bit tired and wishing you had ate the 6" instead.

Yeah but once you get to the end of that footlong you're beginning to feel a bit stuffed, a bit tired and wishing you had ate the 6" instead.
I kinda wish the experience had gone on for longer, stuffed as I may be. The more new Maiden music I get, the happier I am, because I like having a massive amount of their material to digest and I can be certain that the quality will never be outright bad. Maybe a clunker or two, but the highs always make it worth it. These past two records (and their whole career, really) have been incredibly consistent and as it among my favorites from their entire discography.

Fixed that for you! :D
I don’t know that I’d call Steve the best songwriter ever because he does have his Steve-isms, but he’s certainly up there. The fact that his band also includes Bruce and Adrian, Janick and the occasional gem of Murray, is why I can say that Iron Maiden is the best band ever. What I love about them so much is that even though Steve is the leader and by far the biggest songwriter of the group, he does not dominate the material. It’s not like Nightwish where everything is Tuomas bar a couple inputs from Marko, or Iced Earth where Schaffer writes every song with occasional additions by others who pass through — that kind of thing. Everyone brings something to the table* and Steve is just the binding glue that keeps everything firmly Iron Maiden. A really great dynamic which is how they’ve managed to keep putting out killer fucking records forty one years since they first dropped their debut.

*Nicko only has “New Frontier”, but hey, it’s fun!

Back