Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

YouTube the song “Stones From the Sky” by Neurosis. Don’t expect it to sound like Maiden. It doesn’t. The way the song builds and builds layers on itself is very similar to The Parchment.
You weren't wrong at all! That song was enough of an adventure that I see and understand why those parallels were drawn. Many thanks for the tip!

Can I return the favour by mentioning MONO - Hold Infinity in the Palm of Your Hand?

Accolades:

The album has many awards for Album Of The Year and is near the top in other rankings. One of the best albums of 2021 (Loudwire).

''The Writing On The Wall'' was listed among Best Metal Songs Of 2021 by Loudwire, Ultimate Classic Rock, Consequence Of Sound and Greek Metal Hammer/Finnish Tuonela (at #14, #13, #2 and #1, respectively), while ''Darkest Hour'' was listed among for the same award by Audio Ink Radio.
''Stratego'' made the Top 10 Best Guitar Riffs Of 2021 (at #8) by Guitar World.
''Hell On Earth'' was listed among Best Songs Of 2021 (at #4) by Ultimate Guitars.
''The Parchment'' was listed among Top Songs Of The Year (at #4) by Aftonbladet.
The videos for ''The Writing On The Wall'' and ''Stratego'' were listed among Best Music Videos Of 2021 by Promonews TV.

Last edited:
You weren't wrong at all! That song was enough of an adventure that I see and understand why those parallels were drawn. Many thanks for the tip!

Can I return the favour by mentioning MONO - Hold Infinity in the Palm of Your Hand?
Can do, I'll give it a listen, thanks! Glad you liked the Neurosis rec!

Edit: Sounds like a mix of Godspeed You Black Emperor! and black metal. I like it!

Last edited:
... However, I think The Parchment and Hell on Earth are a step above of anything they have made on TBOS. It's like "maiden next level" for me. I can't decide which one is my favorite.

I agree. In their 17th studio album, after 41 years, Maiden develops innovative song arrangements and coherently constructed ones, too.
That bothers me with some progressive bands that have sections in their songs which have nothing to do with each other. They don't connect them or give them a common element. Iron Maiden does that perfectly in Hell on Earth and The Parchment. I am impressed.

I agree. In their 17th studio album, after 41 years, Maiden develops innovative song arrangements and coherently constructed ones, too.
That bothers me with some progressive bands that have sections in their songs which have nothing to do with each other. They don't connect them or give them a common element. Iron Maiden does that perfectly in Hell on Earth and The Parchment. I am impressed.
I agree they are amazing songs. Even thought the sections blend really well on those songs the opposite could be said for ‘The Time Machine’. That song is a mess structurally.

I have a question regarding the Senjutsu vinyl. Not sure if here's the best place for it but here goes: does anyone know what the vinyl weight is? I know the remasters are 180 gram, which is awesome and they sound great, but I have the red vinyl of Senjutsu and it just feels super thick and heavy. Is there such a thing as 190 or 200 gram vinyl? Has anyone else noticed this? Am I a lizard?

There is 200 gram vinyl, I don’t know if Senjutsu is. I definitely haven’t read anything to that effect.

I have a question regarding the Senjutsu vinyl. Not sure if here's the best place for it but here goes: does anyone know what the vinyl weight is? I know the remasters are 180 gram, which is awesome and they sound great, but I have the red vinyl of Senjutsu and it just feels super thick and heavy. Is there such a thing as 190 or 200 gram vinyl? Has anyone else noticed this? Am I a lizard?

According to Maiden.com it's all 180g vinyl.

My review of this album (not too detailed)

After having a few months with the album, I hate to say it but I'm not a fan of it much at all. It's like The Final Frontier all over... 1 or 2 really good songs then the rest is just meh to me... They should have stopped at TBOS. It was a fantastic album and had a fantastic tour to follow it. If this is their final album, it's a sour way to go out IMO. I realize I may be against the grain of many fans who like everything they do but I'm not one of those. They are my favorite band and have been since 1997 when I bought SIT on cassette out of the blue on random then went back and bought 4 other 80s cassettes from that same Tower Records of Maiden. Senjutsu just doesn't do it. The Eddie doesn't look good, I can't imagine them selling a lot of merch with it but who knows. I will always support them, go to every tour I can which has been a lot over the years by my sig.. lol I really hope they don't do a full album tour with Senjutsu where they play it in its entirety. I think that'd be a bad move.

Everyone has their opinion and this was mine. If you love it, I'm happy for you. Enjoy it. That's your opinion and I respect that.

After having a few months with the album, I hate to say it but I'm not a fan of it much at all. It's like The Final Frontier all over... 1 or 2 really good songs then the rest is just meh to me... They should have stopped at TBOS. It was a fantastic album and had a fantastic tour to follow it. If this is their final album, it's a sour way to go out IMO. I realize I may be against the grain of many fans who like everything they do but I'm not one of those. They are my favorite band and have been since 1997 when I bought SIT on cassette out of the blue on random then went back and bought 4 other 80s cassettes from that same Tower Records of Maiden. Senjutsu just doesn't do it. The Eddie doesn't look good, I can't imagine them selling a lot of merch with it but who knows. I will always support them, go to every tour I can which has been a lot over the years by my sig.. lol I really hope they don't do a full album tour with Senjutsu where they play it in its entirety. I think that'd be a bad move.

Everyone has their opinion and this was mine. If you love it, I'm happy for you. Enjoy it. That's your opinion and I respect that.
It's a shame to hear but it is what it is. I'm curious about the details though; what are the one or two songs you are fond of? What aspect of the others put you off the rest of the album?

Whilst I like Senjutsu, I agree that TBOS would have been a stronger final studio album.

I disagree about the artwork though. Fantastic cover by Mark Wilkinson. Shame it will apparently be his last one for the band.

Whilst I like Senjutsu, I agree that TBOS would have been a stronger final studio album.

I disagree about the artwork though. Fantastic cover by Mark Wilkinson. Shame it will apparently be his last one for the band.
I’m out of the loop on that. Could you explain?

Regardless of quality -I happen to think Senjutsu is far superior to Book of Souls- I like the idea of Maiden’s swan song ending with three Harris epics than an experimental bloated melodrama about an aircraft by Bruce. I like Empire of the Clouds, but it’s a weird note to end on.

Back