Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Personally I think neither TBOS not Senjutsu nailed the perfect ending, and they'd best have another crack at it!

I'm not going to try compare the two - TBOS will win because it was my first concert and that kind of nostalgia is difficult to shake. What I would say is that, for me, TBOS -> Senjutsu is the best pair of back to back albums since at least SIT -> SSOASS.

I’m out of the loop on that. Could you explain?

Regardless of quality -I happen to think Senjutsu is far superior to Book of Souls- I like the idea of Maiden’s swan song ending with three Harris epics than an experimental bloated melodrama about an aircraft by Bruce. I like Empire of the Clouds, but it’s a weird note to end on.

We’ll have to agree to disagree.

I agree with the rest of you..For all this time I've felt that if this really becomes the last album from Iron Maiden, they nailed it and so "Hell On Earth" is perfect ending and way out to this story.
Every time, I mean every time I listen to, I just wish that it could last little longer..
Hope to see Maiden still release album #18 but if not, then Senjutsu was the perfect gift for us.

It's a shame to hear but it is what it is. I'm curious about the details though; what are the one or two songs you are fond of? What aspect of the others put you off the rest of the album?

I hate to be that guy but I feel it sounds more like a classic rock album than metal. Not in an Eagles or Floyd kinda way though. Certainly heavier. I don't feel much energy in the songs like I have in past reunion albums and that may be due to the production. Shirley has not been my cup of tea. Nearly every song on BNW sounded better live than the studio version. I get that Maiden have a way of doing that and certainly loads of old material worked well live too but it at least sounded great on record as well. The Book of Souls was one of those albums where the live versions rocked! I loved every live song they did on that album and I had a secret fantasy they would do the whole album like AMOLAD, which by the way was another well rounded awesome album where every song was worth playing live IMO.

When I first heard "The Writing on the Wall", I was pretty disappointed. I thought to myself, "really? This is the first song they release? I hope this isn't the height of the album." I still don't care much for it. Then again, the singles the band have chosen or more likely the record label have chosen have been on and off since the beginning of their career so I don't hold anything against anyone for that in regards to this album.

As for the 2 songs I really like, that would be "Stratego" and "Lost in a Lost World"

I, of course, will be going to see this show and hope the live versions do what they did on TBOS. If so, my views will change and likely for the better. Maiden have that special way of taking mellowed down studio tracks and making them vibrant in a live setting.

I’d be down for this. I’m in the FC but have not received my magazine yet. I wonder if he finds them as difficult to work with as Riggs did.
I think that it's more difficult to work with Rod Smallwood than with Steve Harris or the other band members. Rod is the business-guy that chooses all the artworks, all the strategies to develop Maiden's career...

I hate to be that guy but I feel it sounds more like a classic rock album than metal. Not in an Eagles or Floyd kinda way though. Certainly heavier. I don't feel much energy in the songs like I have in past reunion albums and that may be due to the production.
More rock than metal... maybe only DOFP and TWOTW, but in general, I do not agree.

The fast songs are not as many as in the previous reunion albums, but the energy is still there - the two short rockers, the ending of The Parchment, the galloping verses of Hell On Earth or the instrumental sections of DOTC and TTM.
I think that it's more difficult to work with Rod Smallwood than with Steve Harris or the other band members. Rod is the business-guy that chooses all the artworks, all the strategies to develop Maiden's career...
Rod definitely has some contribution, but I think the final choice/decision is the one of the whole band and in particular of Steve. The idea for the cover of Senjutsu was Steve's.

I hate to be that guy but I feel it sounds more like a classic rock album than metal. Not in an Eagles or Floyd kinda way though. Certainly heavier.
I can sort of see that in a lot of the reunion albums, actually, though I've never minded.
When I first heard "The Writing on the Wall", I was pretty disappointed. I thought to myself, "really? This is the first song they release? I hope this isn't the height of the album." I still don't care much for it.
I actually think it is the height of the album! :p I really love the solo and the style.
Then again, the singles the band have chosen or more likely the record label have chosen have been on and off since the beginning of their career so I don't hold anything against anyone for that in regards to this album.

As for the 2 songs I really like, that would be "Stratego" and "Lost in a Lost World"
Slightly ironic that Stratego was a single, but it's a great song.
I, of course, will be going to see this show and hope the live versions do what they did on TBOS. If so, my views will change and likely for the better. Maiden have that special way of taking mellowed down studio tracks and making them vibrant in a live setting.
I'm hopeful too, but as of right now the only UK date is Download, and I don't really want to go to a festival again.

Yea, I asked the question about Mark and then today got my magazine in the mail. So I read the interview and he gives no reason whatsoever other than some standard/generic/boiler-plate "It's time for others to come in and do their thing" basically. Good interview though! Looks like a LOT of work went into the Senjtusu cover and inside art work.

Back