Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Runner-ups: Days of Future Past, Stratego, The Time Machine, and Death of the Celts.

That’s about it.

Not bad, but not on par with the best reunion albums. There might be a reason why Steve only had a single writing credit (with no co-writers) on those.

Top 3 is hard. Can I do a top 5 of Senjutsu, Stratego, The Writing On The Wall, Darkest Hour and The Parchment in some order?

Back at release I'd have definitely included Hell On Earth instead of The Parchment, but the former hasn't blown my mind like it did first listen for a while whereas the latter has progressively grown in my estimation.

Hell on Earth, Senjutsu, and The Writing on the Wall are the top 3 tracks for me.
Top 3 is really hard to tell. At the moment I would say: ''Hell On Earth'' (always will be #1), ''Stratego'' and ''Senjutsu''.

Runners-up: ''The Parchment'', ''Death Of The Celts''... and ''Lost In A Lost World''.

Death of the Celts, The Parchment and Hell on Earth in a threeway tie.

Bottom 3: Days of Future Past, Lost in a Lost World, Senjutsu.

Days of Future Past is a solid enough track that loses marks for the breakdown section at the end, which I'm almost certain has space left for a solo or some sort of overdub that hasn't been added.
Lost in a Lost World needs tighter arrangement in the middle, but has otherwise grown on me, great intro and outros.
Senjutsu is the disappointing one for me, it's great up until the end of the first "Hear them coming - Ready now we wait" section. Then it just kind of meanders for the rest of the track with no real development, and the end of it just sounds like they are trailing off.

Last edited:
It’s kind of in the vein of “The Wicker Man” (the backing music is kinda similar too I think) and it hits only slightly less hard.
Now that you mention ''The Wicker Man'', the echo in the chorus of ''Lost In A Lost World'' reminds me a little bit of the extra lines in the chorus of the former for the Radio Version.

My top three would be Senjutsu, Writing on the Wall and Hell on Earth. Flawless songs. Runners up would be Parchment, Time Machine and Darkest Hour. Also flawless :lol:

Senjutsu is the disappointing one for me, it's great up until the end of the first "Hear them coming - Ready now we wait" section. Then it just kind of meanders for the rest of the track with no real development, and the end of it just sounds like they are trailing off.
The outro of the title track is one of my favorite endings of a Maiden song - best outro in the album for me.

personally on this album , i experienced something i have never did with an Iron Maiden album. although i like the album overall, there's two songs that i cant make myself hear them! Death of the celts and time machine....never thought i'd say that in my life but thats how it is for me .of course this is my opinion, to others these two songs might be their favourites.

Lost in a Lost World needs tighter arrangement in the middle, but has otherwise grown on me, great intro and outros.

I think the middle part is mediocre, with poor vocal melody lines and very odd phrasing. Bruce sounds either incredibly strained (The people worshipping the sun... verse) or bored (Feel the spirits of the old ones standing proud upon their race... verse; he does not sound as bored as on The Daily Mail Song but it is quite close).

The outro is OK and the intro is brilliant.

Last edited:
There might be a reason why Steve only had a single writing credit (with no co-writers) on those.
Certainly. He introduced his songs to the others, and they told him they weren't good enough to make it to the records. But they let him put one single song on each album, because they didn't want to be rude.
Seriously, your affirmation makes no sense given how this band works.

I view the classic era and reunion era as two different bands now as there is that much difference. I admire that they can make music they want to make these days that still resonates with most of their fans as opposed to some bands who seem like they record music they feel like they should make to appease their fans. Not going to name any names...

I think the middle part is mediocre, with poor vocal melody lines and very odd phrasing. Bruce sounds either incredibly strained (The people worshipping the sun... verse) or bored (Feel the spirits of the old ones standing proud upon their race... verse; he does not sound as bored as on The Daily Mail Song but it is quite close).

The outro is OK and the intro is brilliant.
'The Daily Mail Song' - Age of Innocence by chance? :lol:

'The Daily Mail Song' - Age of Innocence by chance? :lol:

giphy.gif

Back