Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Now that it's all sunk in, this is a more cohesive album than BOS. I think it flows from one track to the next much better. I always felt BOS was top heavy with the best songs being on disc one and Empire being the only thing worthwhile in disc two. Senjutsu seems more even to me.

This is probably going to be a controversial post. Let me first say that Lost In A Lost World is a great song that took a couple listens to click, but after it did... wow. I love Bruce’s vocal flourish during the verses. That said, the rest of Steve’s songs are a big swing and miss for me. Hell On Earth is decent, but I don’t find many redeeming qualities to either DOTC or The Parchment. They just plod along pointlessly. They’re just there.

There are three vastly superior songwriters in the band right now: Bruce, Adrian, and Janick. Jan is a tough call cause his songs are usually (always?) co-written, but they’re better and more to-the-point than Steve’s solo writes, so I’d say the core songs are by Jan.

For me, this album is spectacular up until DOTC hits. I find myself bored for the last thirty odd minutes of music. But then Hell On Earth has the best Maiden moment since perhaps the 80s when Bruce sings “Love in anger, life in danger”. Incredible. Perfect. Genius. So Steve is capable of greatness, he’s just a lot like another Steve. Stephen King suffers from pointless verbosity that a good editor would correct. Steve Harris suffers from the same problem. Nobody can or will tell him no, or worse, they have but he refuses to listen.

Now that it's all sunk in, this is a more cohesive album than BOS. I think it flows from one track to the next much better. I always felt BOS was top heavy with the best songs being on disc one and Empire being the only thing worthwhile in disc two. Senjutsu seems more even to me.
Every song on CD2 of TBOS (except TMOS, in my opinion) is top notch.

Last edited:
For me BOS had good first two songs and 3 last ones. Then I would add Death or Glory and there is my perfect LP.

Anybody mentioned "error" drum sound on DOTC around 4:46?

It sounds like drums came straight from St.Anger album

Anybody mentioned "error" drum sound on DOTC around 4:46?

It sounds like drums came straight from St.Anger album
There are too many parts that sound off in the album. You are right about this one. And even by getting the labum on 2GB FLAC files, it still sounds muddy,lol!

Maiden are just too lazy to care about a really good sound, I think. It's a shame because they are not a garage Band. Anyway senjutsu Sounds much better than DoD, TFF and BOS

At least there was a band playing and that's what I'm really missing in theire videos since 2010. They can add band playing in some spaceship or so in TFF and it'll be as great as TWM or RM, but anyway(

Dunno, I think it's a good call. If they try to include the band in the video setting as you suggest, it will inevitably be cheesy and it's really hard to do in good taste. Rainmaker was the odd one out, but other than that it's just not a good idea.

Regarding the album "It never ventures out of mid tempo!" On stage the band always tends to play songs faster, so a live versions of Senjutsu album songs may sound even better :applause:

Regarding the album "It never ventures out of mid tempo!" On stage the band always tends to play songs faster, so a live versions of Senjutsu album songs may sound even better :applause:
But I thought the "live in studio" approach of recording already delivered live versions :dancinggeek::ninja:

I'm just kidding of course :p

No worries, I was just joking :D

If Eternity Should Fail is a great example where the live version is much faster and more energetic compared to the studio version.

No worries, I was just joking :D

If Eternity Should Fail is a great example where the live version is much faster and more energetic compared to the studio version.
I guess the real live feeling is captured...well, LIVE!!!!!!

I love this album... better tha book? mmmm
Senjutsu is great, but The Book Of Souls is a special album for me. Part of that is the top end (and indeed, I think Empire Of The Clouds and The Book Of Souls are better than anything on the new album) but to a greater extent it's the rest of the tracks. I love all of the ones people complain about - I think Shadows Of The Valley is a top 20 Maiden song, for example - which gives it a consistency a lot of people feel it lacks.

Back