Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Been digesting for a week now, am I the only one who thinks the title track is the weakest song? DOFP was my original weakest but it has grown on me, Senjutsu is my least fave and will be a poor concert opener if they go their usual route with that.

WOTW and Stratego, i liked when released, but are even better within the context of the album. LIALW and TTM have been growers which i both thoroughly enjoy but the last 4 songs are all absolute bona fide masterpieces. TDH has an incredible chorus and glorious solos, the mid section of Celts is wonderful and The Parchment and HOE are just phenomenal top to toe.

I've a lot of love for the title track, and could see myself singing along to that chorus live.

A full ranking is difficult but Senjutsu would be close to the the; the only song I definitely would put above it is Darkest Hour.

One week after the release of the album I finally have my copy of the limited boxset thanks to the dreadful distribution to independent retailers.

The album has some great things and some not so great stuff too. It is better than DOD and TFF and miles better than the 90s albums; not far from TBOS and BNW but nowhere near AMOLAD (top 5 Maiden album for me).

The boxset, albeit overpriced (I have paid £95.99 for it), it is very well made and, based on the horror stories I have read online, much better value for money than the FC one!

Now I just have to wait until I get the correct booklet for the Senjutsu album…

Last edited:
One week after the release of the album I finally have my copy of the limited boxset thanks to the dreadful distribution to independent retailers.

The album has some great things and some not so great stuff too. It is better than DOD and TFF and miles better than the 90s albums; not far from TBOS and BNW but nowhere near AMOLADtop 5 Maiden album for me).

The boxset, albeit overpriced (I have paid £95.99 for it), it is very well made and, based on the horror stories I have read online, much better value for money than the FC one!

Now I just have to wait until I get the correct booklet for the Senjutsu album…
I think the album is better than The Book of Souls. TBOS has a couple of weaker songs, Senjutsu's weakest moments are still quite good.

Just spinning my vinyl now for the first time, as my turntable was out of action, sounds great, better than the CD

EDIT: Intro of Lost in a Lost World sounds particularly good, picking up a guitar track I hadn't registered before
I know what you mean. I never registered that extra guitar on the CD. Personally with LIALW I would have loved for the whole song to have been the Floydesque intro.

Been digesting for a week now, am I the only one who thinks the title track is the weakest song? DOFP was my original weakest but it has grown on me, Senjutsu is my least fave and will be a poor concert opener if they go their usual route with that.
The beginning of the album is amazing imo, I totally can see them open the concert with, it's made for it, isn't it?? The song has many great parts after the beginning. The verse is partly what some compared to Tool, with its modal, repetitive mood. The first chorus is simpler, but quite cinematic, could well be a soundtrack (for example to a film about piracy, with Johnny Depp). It's not my favorite part, but I quite like the other part that resembles it later in the song (bridge? Don't know right now)

It sounds to me like the whole first part (before the shanty melody) is acoustic bass?
Can anyone who has more knowledge confirm or deny this?

Back