Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

That's what I thought too. I like TWotW video, but this one is actually better and I can only imagine how excited I would be if this was released on July 15. Even that little glimpse of Eddie at the end could serve as a nice teaser before revealing him on the album cover.

As for the meaning of the video... Honestly? I don't think I care. It's a bunch of cool, imaginative visuals and I'm fine with that. It's definitely not mindless, there's a story there, but it's not the most important to me.

A friend prefers the video of Stratego to the one of TWOTW as well, because "more interesting in style and more exciting".

The Book of Souls was a really good album, but knowing now what they are capable of at this stage in their career, that album pales in comparison. I’m not sure where Senjutsu ranks against the whole discography yet (I’ll need a year at least), but I could easily see it being a top 5 contender at least. Amazing piece of work that captures just about everything I love about the band since the mid 90s.

I seriously want to know what the fuck Blaze was yelling at the camera during the instrumental break. So. Cringe.

What bothers me most is the camera movement. To me, this video is a good sum of Blaze era: Music was more or less ok, lyrics even better than with Bruce, but Maiden (imo) looked like a small band, not convincing, dare I say like a band whose audience were kids.

Dear Lord, thinking about it now, I might have gone through a depression stage when I heard and saw the video for Virus. It has to be even worse that the music on TXF. Maiden tirned (IMO) into laughing stock at this stage....could not believe it then, it makes me facepalm today

You wanted a Priest-type of song from Maiden -> Senjutsu
You wanted a short rocker in the classic style of Maiden from the 80's -> Stratego
You wanted a song with different and new things for the band's sound -> The Writing On The Wall
You wanted a The X Factor song with Bruce and Adrian -> Lost In A Lost World
You wanted a Maiden song with a vibe from Bruce's solo albums (AOB/TCW) -> Days Of Future Past
You wanted a song with a vibe from the early reunion days -> The Time Machine
You wanted a proper ballad from Maiden -> Darkest Hour
You wanted a Virtual XI song with Bruce and Adrian -> Death Of The Celts (also the culmination of the ''Celtic'' melodies)
You wanted an instrumental (sort of) with a lot of melodies and (6!) solos -> The Parchment
You wanted a classic Maiden epic -> Hell On Earth

Only one song with IM/Killers and NPFTD/FOTD vibe is missing. The album is quite ''rich'' though.

You wanted a Priest-type of song from Maiden -> Senjutsu
You wanted a short rocker in the classic style of Maiden from the 80's -> Stratego
You wanted a song with different and new things for the band's sound -> The Writing On The Wall
You wanted a The X Factor song with Bruce and Adrian -> Lost In A Lost World
You wanted a Maiden song with a vibe from Bruce's solo albums (AOB/TCW) -> Days Of Future Past
You wanted a song with a vibe from the early reunion days -> The Time Machine
You wanted a proper ballad from Maiden -> Darkest Hour
You wanted a Virtual XI song with Bruce and Adrian -> Death Of The Celts (also the culmination of the ''Celtic'' melodies)
You wanted an instrumental (sort of) with a lot of melodies and (6!) solos -> The Parchment
You wanted a classic Maiden epic -> Hell On Earth

Only one song with IM/Killers and NPFTD/FOTD vibe is missing. The album is quite ''rich'' though.
DOTC has some NPFTD moments. The Pakrement is very Nomad-ish by the way.

Dear Lord, thinking about it now, I might have gone through a depression stage when I heard and saw the video for Virus. It has to be even worse that the music on TXF. Maiden tirned (IMO) into laughing stock at this stage....could not believe it then, it makes me facepalm today
I maintain that the video for Virus was Maiden at rock bottom. Their absolute career low point. Ground zero for everything that went wrong for them in the 90's. And yes, it did make them a laughing stock.

Imagine one of the biggest metal bands of all time reduced to a zero budget video shot on a mate's camcorder. They all look embarrassed to be there. Except Steve, he probably thought it was amazing.

But yeah, if you seriously watched the professionally done, skillfully animated and fully narrative video for Stratego and thought "I'd much rather be watching crash-zooms of an embarrassed looking Maiden in a poorly lit cellar" then you need your nugget examined.

Back