Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

I'm not a fan of this kind of videos. TWOTW one was better. The animation of Eddie at the end is pretty cool - they should have made a video with this kind of animation (it would have been similar to the ''Wildest Dreams'' and ''Different World'' videos). Btw, at the end Eddie was playing the Stratego board game, right?
That was not the Stratego game I know.

Wooow, this video is amazing. Very tasteful - I dig all the imagery and visual style. TWotW video is super cheesy in comparison (but I still like it). Honestly, I think it's probably the best they've ever had. Slightly depressing with the bad (?) guy winning, haha. I guess it would be nice if there was more Eddie in it, but it's not a deal breaker.

I actually enjoyed the artstyle (except the human warrior) a lot :D and the final shot is certainly badass.

I have to admit I am a tad disappointed they didn't keep the tradition of naming a song after a Bruce song, and didnt keep the streak of adding "The".

I was really hoping for The Accident of Birth, or The Killing Floor lol
“The The Magician” or “The The Tower” would be good. “The I Will Not Accept The Truth” or “The I’m In A Band With An Italian Drummer” would also be acceptable. Not so sure about “The Lickin’ The Gun”, though…

Curious - did anyone buy the iTunes version?

If you did, is Stratego noticeably quieter than the other songs? I noticed this on my first few listens as standing out to me. The song should hit and it’s really tamed down.

I ripped a CD version to the same 256 kbps that the iTunes store sells and that ripped version is friggen perfect and noticeably punchier and louder. NONE of the other songs are like this.

I know this is an “Apple Master” but I have plenty of those and have never noticed such a disparity in sound quality between tracks. Surely this can’t be correct, right?

Some of maidens decisions regarding videos- smh.
It’s not bad by any means but for all their theatrics it’s like the videos are an afterthought.

Someone clearly just wanted to animate a dragon flying around, lol. But overall the video is pretty good :ok:
Based on my brief search, I think the video is based on the Japanese game of Shogi, which is similar to chess but more complicated. It seems like here, White is the humans team and Black is Eddie’s.

First, White captures Black’s Rook. In Shogi, in contrast to chess, you can “drop” a piece you had previously captured as your own piece, which is what White does and gets that Japanese guy. You can also “promote” pieces when they get into enemy territory, and a Rook gets promoted to a Dragon, which is what White does. But then Black captures White’s Dragon and drops it as his own Dragon, who then checkmates White King, which is what we see in the last shot (Eddie capturing the White King with his Dragon, although I don’t think that would actually happen in a real game).

I loved the video and personally wish they had dropped this one before WOTW. The animation reminded me a lot of Metalocalypse (another Adult Swim classic) and wouldn't be surprised if Brendon Small was involved.

Speaking of which I can't wait for the new Metalocalypse movie.

I loved the video and personally wish they had dropped this one before WOTW.
That's what I thought too. I like TWotW video, but this one is actually better and I can only imagine how excited I would be if this was released on July 15. Even that little glimpse of Eddie at the end could serve as a nice teaser before revealing him on the album cover.

As for the meaning of the video... Honestly? I don't think I care. It's a bunch of cool, imaginative visuals and I'm fine with that. It's definitely not mindless, there's a story there, but it's not the most important to me.

Back