Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

I want to get a point of reference for these reviews. What were reviewers saying about The Red and the Black, The Book of Souls, and Empire of the Clouds prior to the release of The Book of Souls?
This is from the first review of TBOS:

''The Red And The Black'' - TRATB is Harris’ only sole composition here, but it’s one of the most exhilarating and fluid things he has ever written; nearly 14 minutes of interwoven rhythms and riffs, a brief nod to the dramatic thud of ''Flight Of Icarus'' here, a dewy-eyed salute to Thin Lizzy there and a healthy slab of mob-friendly backing vocals that must surely mean that this will become an immediate live favourite when Maiden take The Book Of Souls out on the road.

''The Book Of Souls'' - The same goes for the title track, an almost ludicrously grandiose and theatrical affair that crams more smart ideas into its ten-and-a-half minutes than any band this enduring should have left in the tank at this point.

''Empire Of The Clouds'' - The longest song the band have ever recorded, EOTC is essentially an 18-minute heavy metal opera, replete with Dickinson on piano for the first time and sumptuous orchestral flourishes that add hugely to the song’s cinematic feel. A detailed but poetic account of the R101 airship disaster of 1930, it’s a stunning piece of work and clearly a labour of love for Dickinson, the song’s author, in particular.

Really excited about the opening as well, but I'm wondering what those two reviewers was actually trying to reference, because I have a hard time combining Tool to industrial. You think he was referring to the small interludes between proper Tool songs, you know, the ones we always skip?
I'm expecting something with "uneven" rhythm throughout, maybe Schism-like

Really excited about the opening as well, but I'm wondering what those two reviewers was actually trying to reference, because I have a hard time combining Tool to industrial. You think he was referring to the small interludes between proper Tool songs, you know, the ones we always skip?
I'm expecting something with "uneven" rhythm throughout, maybe Schism-like

To quote the Loudwire review (the source of the Tool comparison):
A lot of people will probably say this sounds a lot like Tool. The drumming makes the comparison easy, but that’s about the extent of that nation [sic].
So the Tool comparisions are mostly due to Nicko rolling around the drum kit.

Also (just for fun):
All doom, all the time. There’s a sort of despondency here that is uncomfortable, mainly from that marauding groove. It's there from start to finish. No quarter.
Now tell me: what famous rock song is doomy and despondent with a marauding groove?

If Iron Maiden manage to top that one, I'll be seriously impressed.

To quote the Loudwire review (the source of the Tool comparison):

So the Tool comparisions are mostly due to Nicko rolling around the drum kit.

Also (just for fun):

Now tell me: what famous rock song is doomy and despondent with a marauding groove?

If Iron Maiden manage to top that one, I'll be seriously impressed.
Also interesting as Tool do a very well known cover of that song.

Imagine how crazy it would have been if the album leaked in 2019? No album announcement, no advance singles, no advance reviews....just suddenly there would have been a new album to listen to.

Back