Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Peter Collins produced Counterparts. Shirley might have been an engineer.

Yes, sound engineer on that one...
That was to say how good he was in capturing those sounds (imo), especially Neil's iconic drum sound. I think Kevin is a master, when it comes to that. He did good things with Peart, Portnoy and McBrain.

Last edited:
The studio video was kind of a let down for me. Bruce and Steve seemed low energy. Gave the usual spiel, "This is the best album!". Wish they would've sampled a new song or something. Writing On the Wall was just decent.

The studio video was kind of a let down for me. Bruce and Steve seemed low energy. Gave the usual spiel, "This is the best album!". Wish they would've sampled a new song or something. Writing On the Wall was just decent.
Bruce recorded this album on crutches with a ruptured Achilles. Steve did the bulk of the writing and co-produced the record. I'm sure he was a bit knackered. They are in their 60's. Give them a break.....

Last edited:
I wouldn't read too much into it. Steve uses the acoustic for figuring out songs and lyrics and whatnot in the studio, as seen in the AMOLAD studio footage where he's working out The Legacy with Janick.
I know. But still - why not dream a little.

The release of this studio video created hype again... and given the short time I think a second single is unlikely - maybe after the release of the album.

Kevin said that it's the hardest album he has ever made
Is that because he had to do lots of fixups? Where the guitars out of tune, the drumming off time?

I would have thought if really good professionals come prepared into the studio then the recording process would be easy.

About the solos in the album:

I wonder if some of the Harris epics will have more than three solos - like in TRATB and TBOS.
- or will have more acoustic parts in them - like in ''The Clansman'', ''Fortunes Of War''. Maybe bass intro again?
- one of the epics probably will have Dave's trademark slow melodic intro (given that he didn't write a song for the album).

I think ''Stratego'' will have only one solo (from Janick) - like ''The Alchemist'', ''The Pilgrim'', ''Gates Of Tomorrow''.

The guitarist with the most solos will be Adrian imo (like for TBOS album).

I hope one song will have a long solo or will end with a long solo (the latter was never done in a Maiden song, if I'm not mistaken).

Is that because he had to do lots of fixups? Where the guitars out of tune, the drumming off time?

I would have thought if really good professionals come prepared into the studio then the recording process would be easy.
I think it's because of the way the guys have approached it. They've talked about jamming ideas out, recording rehearsals etc. So there's probably been a lot of cutting in and out of different takes for different sections and trying to make sure it flows and sounds natural. If the songs are really complex then that's hard work.

Back