Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

You remembered how heavily they were promoting SBIT tour, with Bruce as pilot, they were on every news in all around the world, they were in a lot of interviews and at some point most popular in the world for sure, and they eveng got that Brit award.

But all because of promotion and marketing that tour was turning point for Maiden and after that they are selling out big arenas without any promotion, but what after that? Lets put our money for marketing only beers, West Ham and video game.

I am not happy as a fan that we dont have more Maiden stuff like before, I dont care about beer, West Ham kits or that stupid game. I just want new part of History doc. or more interviews, or some behind scene from tour or studio, and social media is perfect for that kind of content.
That's a fair argument. Maybe they just realize at this point of their lives they don't feel the need to be so gung ho about it.

Just wait a little bit more for the next days and we will see a countdown of 7 days in their site, which is going to lead us to their new single (Stratego).

In the next week we will all be shitting our pants when Bruce sings
"Teach me the art of war"
, followed by a 10/10 Adrian's solo.

There's so much hype waiting for us, guys. We can't even imagine.

Yeah it could be great to see more ARCHIVAL stuff from them to be published anyway.
Why would they release archival stuff now when the focus is on the new album? -> they can release such things for History tours/DVD's, breaks between tours or after they retire.

Reactions: jcv
Just wait a little bit more for the next days and we will see a countdown of 7 days in their site, which is going to lead us to their new single (Stratego).

In the next week we will all be shitting our pants when Bruce sings
"Teach me the art of war"
, followed by a 10/10 Adrian's solo.

There's so much hype waiting for us, guys. We can't even imagine.
Can't wait for everyone to now blame the band when this doesn't happen.

I think that if H was not able to do some solo work and Bruce do his button thing, they would have left Maiden. It is necessary to have this huge machine working. This way they can do their thing and not come in opposition with Steve. This is what keeps everyone happy .Steve can do 30 minute songs with the production he likes. Jan and Dave have always been somehting like Yesmen for Steve and most probably do not really care about the details. Maybe this is oversimplifying things but....I think more or less this is the truth.
As for the promotion...it was clearly Bruce's idea to lead up to his - noone cares about- shows. And that's that!

Maiden is a business. They'd release material if they deemed it worthy and if it made financial sense to do so. As fans we should be thankful they actually do release new material, it would be really reaaaaaaally easy for them just to tour and not release anything new.

Sort of true. Consider that what for other bands needs to be an investment for Maiden it's already done. Every single gig has been recorded from soundboard to digital since the Dance of Death days. It would take, I don't know, several thousand euro for some studio to patch it up for release. Consider that B-sides that were done the same way in the mid-late 90s and year 2000, sound a lot better than latest actual official Maiden live release.

When Gilmour was asked why he disapproves of TV broadcasts, he said it's not the real sound that people hear live and on postproduced live releases, and it's not a good product and he does not wish Floyd gets associated with it. Frankly Maiden like Metallica was never a hi fidelity sort of a band so I don't understand why they keep a locked vault of live performances indefinitely?

In 2030s the way we're heading music will cost even less than it costs today. There will be no financial construct of selling 2007 or 2010 new live releases. If they make an expensive box-set of rare live stuff, it'll just get pirated, and eventually end up on streaming for peanuts.

They need to create a multitask approach in the marketing, people are not fish, they can keep track of several things at a same time. They start a lot of small social media projects then when something real starts happening in the background, everything gets stopped. Instead of just lying low between releases they could have a spare team working on polishing and releasing bootlegs on the web, perpetually, like Metallica does it. If they released media bits they preserved year per month, so start with 1977 or so and then move next month to 78, they'd have 4 years of running program and we'd have a tresure trove of material to explore...regardless of 90% of it being already seen, it would seem like the band reaches out and provides content. Imagine running it in parallel, release media bits and bobs, and then next month the best polished bootleg of that year, then move to next year's media and so on. There would be recurring programming for this for the rest of the decade.

Also, worth pointing out that -
2000 - 2010 - money made from record/DVD sales
2011 - now - no money made from record/DVD sales

Maiden is a business. They'd release material if they deemed it worthy and if it made financial sense to do so. As fans we should be thankful they actually do release new material, it would be really reaaaaaaally easy for them just to tour and not release anything new.

Fans aren't entitled to anything really, it's not our band.
I agree but I think the business of releasing expensive boxsets full to the rafters has taken off recently, that is: in the past decade (cf Def Leppard, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Whitesnake, Pink Floyd, even Scorpions with one dedicated to "Wind of Change" only...) and I'm looking forward to Maiden following this trend one day or another... even though Maiden has never had as big "hits" as the other bands mentioned, at least in the days before digital formats.
Although they have released two series of vinyls (plus the singles), it feels that they are still sitting on a lot of archive material.

EDIT : as I had just finished typing this post, this is what I came across, as if to illustrate my point : https://blabbermouth.net/news/black...d-outtakes-alternative-mixes-and-live-tracks/

Last edited:
I think that if H was not able to do some solo work and Bruce do his button thing, they would have left Maiden. It is necessary to have this huge machine working. This way they can do their thing and not come in opposition with Steve. This is what keeps everyone happy .Steve can do 30 minute songs with the production he likes. Jan and Dave have always been somehting like Yesmen for Steve and most probably do not really care about the details. Maybe this is oversimplifying things but....I think more or less this is the truth.
As for the promotion...it was clearly Bruce's idea to lead up to his - noone cares about- shows. And that's that!
They did. Then they came back, and it's been glorious ever since.

I agree & I sort of don't.

Maiden has managed to keep the value of their new releases HIGH. I repeat, how many bands of this vintage can make longtime fans as excited as this? Even if you're not one of those people subscribing to the idea this band has produced their best material since the reunion and might still turn out another masterpiece, you're still here reading this post. That says a lot.

What's behind that? Quality of releases but also scarcity. Anything-fatigue is real. Take Hollywood at the moment. Interesting times indeed. You've got some major franchises releasing stuff more frequently than anyone could have dreamed of just 10 years back. Marvel, Star Wars, Fast & Furious. Some have (before something called Covid 19) met diminishing returns & others just kept on going like berserkers way past sequel numbers anyone would have though possible before. (F9 - Seriously?) Meanwhile Star Wars is failing badly with the hopes turned to TV-series escapades. Explanation? Keep fans excited - or else.

Simple equation, hard execution.

In the end, I think there is not one simple explanation to all of this. Even then, I would certainly have liked to have full "Making of" documentaries to all their later albums. I don't agree about "maintaining the mystique" which is the frequent argument from their camp (Steve Harris on British Lion for example). No one believes a rockstar is a superhuman anymore, and it's not a bad thing.

Folks tend to slow down as they get older, develop other interests and want to do them before it's too late. I was lucky to be a fan when they were releasing an album and touring every year. Remember they are senior citizens now. What the hell you want them to do? Yes we are Maiden nerds and want more but let's drop the entitlement, shall we? 17 albums now. They still tour almost every year (fuck you, Covid). And I don't think they're quite done. I am sure at some point they will empty the vaults and we will get as much of the stuff we are clamoring for as they have (except for SIT Tour :()

You do not care does not equal no one cares. Personally, I wish Bruce would have done these in the states

Well... To keep the hype they could at least do a "Talking music with Adrian: The Writing On The Wall", where he plays through the song and talks about musical ideas.
Yea I loved his Gangland run through. Really would love more of those. And so simple to do....no real planning. Just sit down for 6 or 7 mins and play along with the track...boom. Super happy fans. I always look forward to the reviews and big articles b4 and around the new album. and must have watched making of DOD and AMOLAD dozens of times each. TFF interviews were a little grouchy. Wonder Rod didn't step in and go....FFS lads....have a coffee and smile a little. Anyways, a month to go....."CONAN...what is best in life?...To Crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and to hear the lamentations of the 'play classics' crowd'

Back