Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Some people cant stand that Maiden sometimes want to have some fun and not take themselfs so serious. Climb like a monkey is cringe but on purpose.
And having fun after his cancer scare. It was good to have him back singing. Hell he could have sing the entire set dressed as Mr Blobby and I would have been happy.

I remember having teary eyes during the title track on the BOTS tour. It was so good to hear him singing with power and range after a scary couple of years.

Mother of mercy, particularly Bruce’s’ performance, is a highlight of the entire reunion era to me. I love that song.
Bruce shows incredible range and diversity in this tune. I’m surprised M.O.M isn’t more of a fan favorite.

The verses and the bridge are vocally SO intense.
And not to mention Adrian's solo. Possibly my favourite guitar solo of the album, and one of my top 5 solos of the whole new era. There's a lot of Hendrix, in there. And I've been getting the chills for 11 years, now. Every listen blows me away like the first time. Adrian is spot on, there. Less than 20 seconds, yet there's a world of good taste and influences in it.

Some facts about Senjutsu:

the first album title in a foreign language.
the album was written and recorded in 2019.
the sixth album produced by Kevin Shirley.
the album is released 6 years after the previous one - the longest gap between studio albums.
the third album recorded in Paris (after BNW and TBOS).
the second album to be released on September, 3rd (like Powerslave).
this is their second double album (TBOS is the other).
overall, this is the second longest album of Maiden (81:53).
The album is shorter than TBOS, but has more long songs.
the first album without a Dave song since The X Factor.
the first album with 4 solely written songs by Steve since Virtual XI.
the first album to have 3 songs written by Smith/Dickinson combo.
the second title track written by Smith/Harris combo (after S15... TFF).
''Darkest Hour'' is the longest song written by Smith/Dickinson combo.
The debut single from the album is the third shortest song in it.
''The Parchment'' is the 4th longest song of Maiden (after EOTC, ROTM and TRATB ) and the first song to be 12 minutes long.
''Days Of Future Past'' is the shortest song written by the band since ''Different World'' back in 2006.
Adrian wrote lyrics again for the first time since 1986.
the reunion album with the least short songs.
the reunion album with the most epics (shares the 1st place with TFF).
the album ends with 5 long songs in a row (just like TFF).
the first album to end with 3 songs over 10 minutes in a row.
7 out 10 songs are long.
Mark Wilkinson did the album cover (his second for the band).
second album cover in a row with dark background.
the Samurai Eddie (from the album cover) is the first Eddie to be debuted in a video for a single - ''The Writing On The Wall'' single.

Last edited:
Mother of mercy, particularly Bruce’s’ performance, is a highlight of the entire reunion era to me. I love that song.
Bruce shows incredible range and diversity in this tune. I’m surprised M.O.M isn’t more of a fan favorite.
I have a really hard time with the chorus.
That being said, I think most of the other singing on the track is fine.

Maybe im getting old but I think that we should do things that make us happy as long as they dont hurt others. If band like using bananas and audience like to climb like a monkey - that's fine enough with me. We need more moments like this - sily stuff done just for sake of being silly.

The lyric is "unsexy", not silly per se. It originates from a serious historic quote. And I don't mind (that much) Bruce's gesture. A silent gesture would be fair play and somehow elegant.
But I seriously dislike his exhortation to the crowd to do the same. Like if he was trying to prove to Steve (or Rob) that this lyric is not so bad and the fans will actually like it.

I don't think anyone did.
Respectfully, it doesn't matter that you think nobody liked it when you can very easily load up a live version of the song on YouTube and check that people did.

The real prize is the USA #1. They haven’t had one yet.
I very much hope that isn't Iron Maiden's goal.

USA are very patriotic, they will generally pick USA bands over others.
USA also has its own thing, glam metal, hair metal, thrash and grung.
British music is quite different, I don't see why a british band would strive to be American.

I have a really hard time with the chorus.
That being said, I think most of the other singing on the track is fine.
Bruce's voice is very strained and yet they insist on repeatedly having a stab at that high note. Otherwise I'm very fond of this song, I find it in the same vein as A Matter of Life and Death. And Great Unknown for that matter.

Back