Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

He wasn't involved. He would have loved to, but wasn't allowed. I think it's normal that one guy is in charge. And what Smith does with his stuff outside Maiden does not speak in favour of his sonic choices.

I beg to differ. It might be a matter of taste, but I think Adrian Smith is a far more accomplished producer than Steve Harris. I know that is setting the bar pretty low, but the difference in sonic quality between Primal Rock Rebellion and the first British Lion album Is abysmal (the former soinding great and the latter sounding awful, just in case someone might be tempted to find some ambiguity in my words).

That being said, I would not favour a too polished sound for Maiden and I do not have any massive concerns with the Kevin Shirley-produced Maiden albums (Dance of Death mastering aside).

Maybe this has been already discussed, but I was quite surprised by Bruce's reference to Rammstein's Deutschland video as an inspiration for Maiden's. I don't really see common points, apart from a desire to tell a story. I love Rammstein's song, its lyrics, the fact that the video version is different from the album version, but I think the video is absolute bad taste.
Bruce's self content with this video is childish, as has already been said. A few years ago, he kept telling again and again how he wrote his grand oeuvre on a little piano; I guess this time, he will talk about his little rock opera.

I think the only link with Rammstein is having an ambitious video with a narrative. Rammstein have chosen being provocative their raison d’être and I do not think Maiden are following that route.

No matter what Bruce says about the video, I would argue the people who should be taking credit for it are those who made it. It is not as if Bruce did it all himself, is it?

I think the only link with Rammstein is having an ambitious video with a narrative. Rammstein have chosen being provocative their raison d’être and I do not think Maiden are following that route.

No matter what Bruce says about the video, I would argue the people who should be taking credit for it are those who made it. It is not as if Bruce did it all himself, is it?
Sure, and they all get their credit in the video. But the idea and story was Bruce’s baby. Without him there is no video and those folks would not have had that work to do.

Sure, and they all get their credit in the video. But the idea and story was Bruce’s baby. Without him there is no video and those folks would not have had that work to do.

I think that should read “without Maiden’s financial muscle”…

We are talking about Mark Andrews (an Academy Award winner) among others here.

I'm sure he was very much involved in the creative process all along the way (meetings, brainstorming, approvals, etc.), more than you may want to give him credit for.

He is more than capable to give himself credit for what he’s done. Anyway, to use your own words, he gets his credit in the video (like all the other people involved).

Hugh Syme might be a great artist (I really like his work with Rush and Dream Theater to name just a couple of bands he has done some great artwork for), but his work for Maiden is mediocre at best. A bit like the album if you ask me.
I think this artwork wasn't created for an album cover but Maiden used it anyways. Also TXF is an awesome album

W
it's also amazing in the way it was done compared to all other Maiden covers before and after. Hugh Syme created a small miniature model that he then photographed for the album cover. Very cool if you ask me.

modeleddie.jpg

images
Wow, never knew that fact, thanx. Need to find more photos.

I can understand that they wanted to do something different. However history showed that it was a failure thus never have we seen such a cover again. I also got their need to do something different in TXF music wise. However IMO that was a completely failed attempt and in all levels. I can understand that lots of people like it. Fine by me, I just see that I never ever managed to listen to more than half a song off this album after repeated attempts.
Well the cover art was good, but the music was awful, just doom and gloom, it was a very dark and depressing album. I've deleted it from my ipod, i really don't feel the desire to listen to it.

I think the cover is great.
It's not one of my favorite covers, tbh. Maybe because it looks so realistic and brutal. Not a bad cover, by any means. I guess they wanted something different, but abandoned this way of creating an album cover pretty quickly.

It's curious why Melvyn Grant was not asked again to do the cover (FOTD has an amazing album cover) - he made the VXI cover too. But after NPFTD album the band began accepting contributions from other artists (not only Riggs) and wanted Eddie to be different for the 90's (I think Rod had said that).
- for FOTD album, I think Bruce had said that the band has offered three different artists to make a cover for the album, one of which will be chosen. I wish we could see those covers...

Back