Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Here's a thought.. With all the delays and cancelations, I've got the feeling, next Maiden album will be angrier and faster. More on 'social commentary' side. Imagine, first song in the vein of Be Quick or Be Dead.
My bet is, now Steve is not very happy. Golden, yet Twilight years of the band, flushed down the drain. I guess, he and Janick is writing like a madmen.
Ignorant antivaxxers dripping with filth.. :ninja: :oops:

Last edited:
I see. Well for me it's a fact, though one place below than yours. After a thorough and detailed ranking process, verdict is that: Senjutsu is no5's no6.

@chaosapiant nerd alarm, I thought you might be interested :D
I'm slightly upset you didn't include enough B-Sides to hit 170 songs so that you could share the points equally. :ninja:

For me Senjutsu is probably #5. It's good all the way through but I'm not sure it has a 10/10 song. TWOTW is the most likely contender.

I'm slightly upset you didn't include enough B-Sides to hit 170 songs so that you could share the points equally. :ninja:

I wanted to keep it simple. If it were just 8 B-Sides I would have done it, but there are more. Right out of the top of my head:

Sanctuary
Twilight Zone
Women in Uniform
Total Eclipse
The Sherriff of Huddersfield
Reach *fucking* Out
Black Bart Blues
This nice blues song with piano in vinyl version of the Be Quick or Be Dead
Another one from the same single
I live my way
Virus
More Tea Vicar
Pass the jam

I'm sure I forget at least 2 now.

For me Senjutsu´s few lows are higher than TBOS lows. And the highs are much higher than TBOS highs too. So yeah, I definitely prefer it to TBOS.
I agree the Senjutsu lows are higher than TBOS lows but the highs on TBOS are way better. Title track, IESF, EOTC, TRATB. Theres no songs that touch that on Senjutsu imo.

I wanted to keep it simple. If it were just 8 B-Sides I would have done it, but there are more. Right out of the top of my head:

Sanctuary
Twilight Zone
Women in Uniform
Total Eclipse
Reach *fucking* Out
Black Bart Blues
I live my way
Virus
More Tea Vicar
Pass the jam

You haven't included Burning Ambition, Invasion, Total Eclipse, That Girl, Judgement Day, and Justice Of The Peace. I tend to cut out the less serious b-sides and/or covers as I don't listen to them anyway.

In light of the ongoing comparisons between The Book Of Souls and Senjutsu, I've ranked all of the tracks from both albums:

1 - Empire of the Clouds
2 - Shadows of the Valley
3 - The Book Of Souls
4 - The Writing On The Wall
5 - The Parchment

6 - Tears Of A Clown
7 - Darkest Hour
8 - Stratego

9 - Death Or Glory
10 - The Red And The Black
11 - Hell On Earth
12 - If Eternity Should Fail
13 - Senjutsu
14 - Days Of Future Past

15 - When The River Runs Deep
16 - Speed Of Light
17 - The Time Machine
18 - The Great Unknown
19 - Lost In A Lost World
20 - The Man Of Sorrows
21 - Death Of The Celts

Senjutsu is a great album - none of the tracks are bad - but it does not reach the same highs for me.

1. The Book of Souls
2. Empire of the Clouds
3. If Eternity Should Fail
4. Senjutsu
5. The Red and the Black
6. Hell on Earth
. Days of Future Past
8. Writing on the Wall

9. Tears of a Clown
10. The Time Machine
11. Speed of Light
12. Darkest Hour
13. The Great Unknown
14. Stratego
15. Man of Sorrows
16. Death of the Celts
17. When the River Runs Deep
18. Lost in a Lost World
19. Death or Glory
20. Shadows of the Valley
21. The Parchment

Sanctuary
Twilight Zone
Women in Uniform
Total Eclipse
Reach *fucking* Out
Black Bart Blues
I live my way
Virus
More Tea Vicar
Pass the jam

I was with you until I Live My Way which I consider to be the worst Maiden song by a country mile.

I Live My Way? Never heard of it, must be a medley...

I live my way
And not in a shy way
It’s now or never
I ain’t gonna live forever
So stop bugging me, stop forcing me
Stop fighting me, stop yelling me:
I live my way.

You haven't included Burning Ambition, Invasion, Total Eclipse, That Girl, Judgement Day, and Justice Of The Peace. I tend to cut out the less serious b-sides and/or covers as I don't listen to them anyway.

Total Eclipse is there, look.

Yes, we need no covers.
If by less serious you mean Pass the Jam & No Tea Vicar, I like them both. A lot! The moment where Bruce says "Don't stop, I'll scream, I'll do.... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah...... I warned you" is brilliant! Good ol' Bruce!

but the highs on TBOS are way better. Title track, IESF, EOTC, TRATB. Theres no songs that touch that on Senjutsu imo.
There is - Hell On Earth, The Parchment, Stratego, the title track. Both albums are truly amazing.

My ranking of all the songs from The Book Of Souls and Senjutsu:

10/10 - Hell On Earth, The Parchment, Stratego, Senjutsu, Darkest Hour, Empire Of The Clouds, The Book Of Souls, The Red And The Black, Shadows Of The Valley, Death Or Glory

9/10 - Death Of The Celts, The Writing On The Wall (could be higher), Days Of Future Past, If Eternity Should Fail, Speed Of Light (could be higher)

8/10 - Lost In A Lost World, The Time Machine (could be higher), The Great Unknown, When The River Runs Deep, Tears Of A Clown

7/10 - The Man Of Sorrows

My ranking of all the songs from The Book Of Souls and Senjutsu:
--

10/10 - Hell On Earth, The Parchment, Stratego

9/10
- Senjutsu, The Writing On The Wall , If Eternity Should Fail

8/10 - Death Of The Celts, The Time Machine ,Days Of Future Past ,Death Or Glory, The Book Of Souls, The Red And The Black,

7/10 - Darkest Hour,The Man Of Sorrows, Empire Of The Clouds, The Great Unknown

6/10 - Lost In A Lost World, When The River Runs Deep,Shadows Of The Valley

5/10 - Speed Of Light, Tears Of A Clown

Last edited:
Back