Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

If I were to nitpick after multiple listens-
The only issue i have is Janick following Bruce in the verse. Because his voice is already low in the mix, it is a little distracting for me. Also, that underlying melody could have been played as a rhythm rather than in a single lead note the way he did.
I think you nailed it about
Janick following Bruce in the verse, causing him to sound even lower in the mix. There was something disturbing me in the song and I think that's it. It's weird, because it never bothered me on TRATB. I actually love it on TRATB, because Bruce doesn't sound low in the mix to my ears.

Anyway, let's see if the song grows on me.

Surprisingly enough, I can hear some André Matos-feel melodies in Bruce's delivery ("I hear you calling my name / Come to claim my life again").
1629399420214.png

I do think he nailed it with the solo. I do hear that his solos are pretty much similar to his past stuff but it actually synchs in well with the mood and melody of the track. It is a bit of a dark song and I think his solos actually fit these dark mood songs well. His solo sounds very similar to that of ghost of the navigator.
THANK YOU!

His solo is outstanding. Really rips it up, follows his trademark unusual lines, but his shredding sounds a lot more on point than it sometimes does, especially the final run.

Awesome work.

The mix really needs good equipment to come to full glory. I’ve played on my phone through Tidal and a pair of Supra earplugs, sounds good, but a little muffled and Bruce is a tad low in the mix. Played through my main rig through Tidal and high res streamer, quality studio monitors and sub - clean and clear as a whistle. No mush and no low vocals. Kev and Steve seem to have mixed this album to sound great on good equipment and not mixed it to sound good through a phone and a pair of cheap-ish headphones. That takes some balls in this day and age :)

If I were to nitpick after multiple listens-
The only issue i have is Janick following Bruce in the verse. Because his voice is already low in the mix, it is a little distracting for me.
^ This is the only thing which I don't like in the whole song.

One thing I appreciate a lot about Stratego's chorus: the lyrics are pretty varied. Often we either have the same phrase or the title repeated ad nauseam or at least parts of it are repeated. Even TWOTW has a rather limited chorus with a totally unnecessary second line and some weird, by themselves incomplete, third and fourth lines. Stratego on the other hand has a long chorus and no repetitions. The more I hear it, the more I love it.

Bruce's performance in this takes me right back to Brave New World days, he sounds younger.
Didn’t he say he already had the tumor when they were recoding TBOS? I remember him saying he wanted to finish the recording and not having it looked at because he was afraid they wouldn’t let him finish.

After spending some more time with the track I take back what I said about the solo. It fits quite well and is not that weak, though could be better :D. I just prefer H's solos.
Thing with modern Maiden albums is they are not easy to dive into. Every time you listen it gets better :bigsmile:It's a journey and one that I love.

But now after we have two songs... THIS IS GOING TO BE EPIC ALBUM \m/

Edit: that chorus is addicting.

Last edited:
Back