Senjutsu - 20 Months Later

If you like the melody, it doesn't need to repeat 1822 times. If you want to hear the vocal expression of one of your favourite vocalists, you want them up-front and not behind a scratchy high pitch Janick guitar. If you want to jump from a quiet part into a blasting one, you just don't do that suddenly (Hell On Earth).

Majority of Senjutsu songs has great ideas, but are executed poorly.

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, for example is a music arrangement masterclass.
I see the different from SSOASS and senjutsu,but it see that lazyness since The final frontier,its like they dont like to spend much time at studio.

What a bargain! I paid nearly £100 for the same item back when it was released. Massively overpriced if you ask me.
It arrived today. I am glad to have it in the collection. It would have been to have had the album on 5.1 and his-res audio. That could have easily gone on the blu-Ray. You think they would have also thrown in the booklet version of the album!

It arrived today. I am glad to have it in the collection. It would have been to have had the album on 5.1 and his-res audio. That could have easily gone on the blu-Ray. You think they would have also thrown in the booklet version of the album!

You are missing the booklet of the album as a result of a cock-up from Parlophone. There was a link on the official website that could be used to request a copy of the booklet (I got one that way).

I see the different from SSOASS and senjutsu,but it see that lazyness since The final frontier,its like they dont like to spend much time at studio.
And I think that TFF experience steered them off from polishing arrangements (things like Starblind and Isle). I could see how.

A good example is the 2nd part of The Legacy. Those are some great innovative guitar arrangements without getting in the way of vocals. Possibly one of the last great examples by Maiden how to use 3 guitars and a voice on top.
Hell On Earth? Agreed about the 2nd part of The Legacy.
The Parchment for example, could have easily been an instrumental. And nothing would've been lost.
Please, no.
Since the DOD album, actually. I don't think it's laziness, that's just their (Steve's) preferred writing style. Deadline pressure. The songs have been getting longer and longer since TFF album. Plus they're not like other bands who take breaks of a year or two to write an album. Maiden tour all the time.

Senjutsu is still their best reunion album for me and stands toe-to-toe with 7th Son as possibly their best album ever.
Somewhere In Time for me with Seventh Son as a close second and Senjutsu 3d. I never could imagine in my infinite wildest dreams they could release such a great album at this point in their career. So this tour is really special.

I think The Book of Souls is better than Senjutsu. The band has a bit more of a spark on it, a little more energy, and it has a great balance of light and dark, faster tracks and moodier ones. It feels like the band were having fun in the studio. Senjutsu is stuck in second gear for most of its runtime whereas TBOS often branches out in third.

That being said, Senjutsu was actually right behind it in the last album rankings I did (coming in fifth while TBOS was fourth, beaten by Powerslave (1st), Brave New World (2nd), and Somewhere in Time (3rd)). The album has been living rent-free in my head. I like every song, the quality is very consistent, the production is a step up from TBOS, and “The Parchment” has even overtaken “Empire of the Clouds” as my favorite post-reunion Maiden song. Maybe after the tour commences things will die down but I suppose actually being part of the release and not watching from afar like I did with TBOS in 2015 endeared me to it a lot more. It’s not without flaws but it has held up shockingly well and some songs have grown on me even more with time.

I will say though that it’s interesting to see how TBOS has fallen a bit in the forum’s overall estimations after Senjutsu’s release. It’s like people have started to sleep on it now. Should Maiden do another album in the future (past), I’m curious to see how this album holds up. I don’t think it’s the be-all, end-all album like some say, it’s just got a deep quality of excellent songs. TFF was overshadowed by TBOS, and TBOS is now overshadowed by SJ, and I’m curious to see if SJ too will be overshadowed by the next album Maiden put out. Will the people calling it their favorites still say that when there’s new music over the horizons? Interesting thought.

The band has a bit more of a spark on it, a little more energy, and it has a great balance of light and dark, faster tracks and moodier ones.
Although I think the album is perfect as it as, another fast paced shorter song was also needed, in a way. For the balance. It's doubtful, but it could have been a weaker song.
TFF was overshadowed by TBOS, and TBOS is now overshadowed by SJ, and I’m curious to see if SJ too will be overshadowed by the next album Maiden put out.
Maybe this shows the quality of Maiden's new material. TBOS and SJ are both great albums imo. I think TFF was overshadowed by AMOLAD. I'm really curious about Maiden's next album. More than ever.

I think The Book of Souls is better than Senjutsu. The band has a bit more of a spark on it, a little more energy, and it has a great balance of light and dark, faster tracks and moodier ones.

I'm not sure which album I consider better - probably Senjutsu - but I agree about the general vibe on The Book of Souls. It's got some rough things and I think Senjutsu has, altogether, more refined songs (whatever that is saying about the standards of their studio work is another thing! :D) but structurally and speaking of the sheer energy that the album resonates, The Book of Souls does have some edge. Soundwise, it's most definitely not Piece of Mind, or even Brave New World, but it manages to sound a lot more lively than The Final Frontier, which I consider as a very good, but ehm... sonically somewhat unenthusiastic and dusty, as much as I love most of the songs there.

It's got some rough things and I think Senjutsu has, altogether, more refined songs
And see, I actually disagree with this. I think that Senjutsu, as much as I like it, feels more rushed and less hashed-out than TBOS did. Take, for instance, "Days of Future Past", which almost feels like it's missing a solo, or "Lost in a Lost World", which feels a bit randomly assembled. Even "Hell on Earth" which feels like it deserved a bit more exploration, or "Death of the Celts" which is missing something more epic in the instrumental section. Even though I like the songs it took a bit of time to really get fully into them because of this. The songs on TBOS all feel very complete to me.

Soundwise, it's most definitely not Piece of Mind, or even Brave New World, but it manages to sound a lot more lively than The Final Frontier
I don't dislike the production, it's a bit amateurish but the thunderous drums have a great old-world vibe that fully brings you into the scope of the record.

Brave New World is probably my least favorite reunion album. It's a fantastic album and the production is stellar, but for me it's still "Virtual XI 2.0" and while I also love Virtual XI, neither album is anywhere near as good to me as the last three reunion album. In fact, I tend to rank the reunion albums as newer->better. I just feel they keep going from strength to strength.

Brave New World is probably my least favorite reunion album. It's a fantastic album and the production is stellar, but for me it's still "Virtual XI 2.0" and while I also love Virtual XI, neither album is anywhere near as good to me as the last three reunion album. In fact, I tend to rank the reunion albums as newer->better. I just feel they keep going from strength to strength.
Just a big NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE

Wicker man
ghost of the navigator
Brave new word

those 3 songs are 9,5/10.

Back