Senjutsu - 20 Months Later

There´s no filler in SIT and SSOASS to me.
I mean 'fillers' : the songs the band never play Live on the proper tour because maybe they think these songs are less stronger than the other ones.
I really love and enjoy all the albums with 'fillers' quest for fire, sun and steel, back in the village, flash of the blade, the duelist, deja vu, Alexander the Great, loneliness of the long distance runner, only the good die young, the prophecy… But since the 90's the fillers were more presence in their albums

I listen to disc 2 much more than disc 1.

On disc 1 I mostly just want to hear The Writing on the Wall and The Time Machine. I like them all to some degree, but no longer go out of my way to hear them.

I mean 'fillers' : the songs the band never play Live on the proper tour because maybe they think these songs are less stronger than the other ones.

That's an interesting take on the term. So, by that, Iron Maiden and AMOLAD are the only albums not to contain any fillers?

Deep down in my heart I know that there is some merit to what he says.

Last edited:
And “The Parchment” is total filler, apparently.

Yeah, that take makes less sense to me the more I think about it. Thin Line Between Love and Hate, Parchment, Darkest Hour, Starblind, Empire of the Clouds, etc, all filler because they weren't played live? I'm not getting it.

Deep down in my heart I know that there's some truth to his words

I much prefer later Death and Maiden. He also seems to have some personal issue against prog music.

There's a certain feel in common, but had the lyrics been different, you wouldn't write this. Those songs are not that close.

I agree. I'm always surprised when people say “Death of the Celts” was a “The Clansman” copy.

"Senjutsu" has no filler. I just don't like the lyrics of "Darkest Hour."

Come on, the acoustic bass intro from Celts is total Clansman stuff and then it just goes from there. It’s like when you paste something into Chatbot and tell it to rewrite it.

Bruce’s melody is totally aping the driving rhythm of The Clansman vocal as well. I can’t fathom how some of you guys don’t hear it.

The lyrics could be about cheese on toast and I’d still pick up on the similarities of the music. Same as how Book of Souls aped parts of Powerslave. Which maybe you didn’t notice either :)

Last edited:
I think ''fillers'' (and some albums don't have imo) are always the short/er songs and it doesn't matter if they're played live or not. I mean, more thought goes into the longer songs. The singles are also not fillers. An album like FOTD has fillers, Steve implied that, if only because Maiden don't usually put 12 songs on their albums. In an album of 8 songs is difficult to point out songs as fillers, regardless if they're strong or ''weak'', athough Invaders/Gangland for example feels as such (Sun And Steel too). Also, a song with acoustic parts (or different parts) and a lot of tempo changes can't be a filler for me. I think maybe Losfer Words can be viewed as a filler, to give an example. The writing quality is so good (especially since 2000) that I don't think Maiden writes fillers. When you usually write albums with 10 songs on them, I don't think you're writing fillers, you're just trying to write 10 strong songs.
Another example - some of the songs on Killers can't be fillers because some of them were written in the 70's.

SJ has no fillers imo. TBOS could have 1 filler, a shorter song to compensate the longer material. Idk, but none of the songs are that simple for that. Or The Alchemist for TFF album because Janick wrote it specifically for that.
Come on, the acoustic bass intro from Celts is total Clansman stuff and then it just goes from there. It’s like when you paste something into Chatbot and tell it to rewrite it.

Bruce’s melody is totally aping the driving rhythm of The Clansman vocal as well. I can’t fathom how some of you guys don’t hear it.

The lyrics could be about cheese on toast and I’d still pick up on the similarities of the music. Same as how Book of Souls aped parts of Powerslave. Which maybe you didn’t notice either :)
The Book Of Souls has an ancient feel to it, but I don't think it's that close to Powerslave. Celts and Clansman are a better example, and yet they have different feels imo.
But he is also right about many bands. Maiden
Why Maiden should write songs like in the 80's? They moved on. The current style is their/Steve's favorite style. The short rockers are for Adrian, Bruce and Janick. I think instead of 2 short songs per album, they should put 3/4 and we have a great balance. Besides, Maiden have never been a band that fills their albums with short songs (excluding some albums, ofc). They are more talented than that. The catchiness is always there.

Back