Sea of Madness

How good is Sea of Madness on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Percussive crashes introduce a busy, driving riff that settles into a nice groove with the bass. This underpins a strong verse and a great rising pre-chorus that leads into an excellent chorus. Great interplay between the instruments throughout.

Another round of verse through chorus and we break into a bright interlude and a fantastic solo that gives way to a great softer bridge with some high "oohs" from Bruce and some variations on the title lyric. Awesome guitar atmospherics and bass work here.

A return to the opening riff carries us through another round of verse through chorus, before a series of excellent variations on the final chorus line carry us to the end along with some great soloing and a long final vocal note.

Such an excellent song. If the verse had been a little stronger this could have garnered another perfect score, but as it stands it's still a robust 9/10.

Another gem on Somewhere in time. Chorus is great and the second half of this song is really beautiful. 9

At one point in time, this was a Top 5 Maiden song for me, but it's falling quite a lot since then. A great chorus and beautiful mid-section hold it up well, but I dislike Bruce's singing on the verses and as a whole it doesn't stand out enough among the band's discography to remain a favorite. Strong, but not the best. 7

Probably one of the heaviest songs from Maiden in the 80's. Great bombastic start of the song. Steve shines with his bass playing. The verses are ok and the chorus is not bad. The highlight of the song is the amazing solo from Adrian (he is full of them on the SIT album). And of course the calm middle part is great - I wanted after it the song to continue to be calm (or with a long solo through the end). The riff is great. Heavy repetition of the phrase ''of madness'' at the end of the song, but Adrian does good short guitar fills/solo (like the ones in IESF) under it. It's not one of my favorite songs and I think it's the weakest song from the album (the album is still flawless). I think it's a little bit overrated. 7/10

It's not one of my favorite songs and I think it's the weakest song from the album (the album is still flawless). I think it's a little bit overrated. 7/10
How can an album be flawless, but still have an overrated 7/10 song on it...? :huh:

I like the bridge, the chorus and the instrumental part a lot. The problem is that it takes going through a riff and a verse that I find much less interesting to reach them.

How can an album be flawless, but still have an overrated 7/10 song on it...? :huh:

It's not like I rated the song 2, right? Actually, without any problems could jump to 8. The song is good (that's why I said a little bit overrated IMO) and like I said, it is not one of my favorites, but that no means it is a bad song.... (how a song rated 7/8 can be bad?). As a part of the whole album is great and the album is flawless!

Wouldn’t every song on the album be a 10/10 if the album were truly flawless...?
That is one way to define a flawless album. However in my opinion "flawless" doesn't automatically mean 10/10. I think that instead of counting the flaws in something, the better way to determine the rating is to count how many great or amazing elements the song has. I absolutely understand the idea of rewarding a flawless song with a 10/10 rating, but the flaws can also be balanced by the truly great elememts.

For me a flawless albums is when there is not a single bad song on it.
So in your mind an album that was full of completely mediocre, but not bad, songs would be “flawless”? I don’t think that word means what you think it means...

So in your mind an album that was full of completely mediocre, but not bad, songs would be “flawless”? I don’t think that word means what you think it means...
I wanted to say something about A Matter of Life and Death being flawless, then I remembered we are not in the blasphemy thread [off to count on how many levels this sentence can function]. :D

Mediocre song is when you rate it 3 or 4/10. I don't have a rating below 7 for my ratings of SIT songs.

Read the comment of @KidInTheDark666 above - he perfectly described my thoughts about the matter.

Mediocre song is when you rate it 3 or 4/10.
Mediocre would be more like a 5/10, as it’s not bad, so it’s not in the lower end of the scale.
I don't have a rating below 7 for my ratings of SIT songs.
What you’re describing is an album that’s consistently good — one that doesn’t have any overall bad songs on it. This is very different from a flawless album, which by definition would have no imperfections whatsoever.

I understand your meaning, but you’re using the wrong word for it.

Hi, I've reopened this song for voting, after resetting the votes.

Please add your vote for this song and consider the following tips:

• Try to be consistent across the Iron Maiden catalogue. Don't vote based on the place on the album, but the place in the overall catalogue.
  • 1 should be the worst Iron Maiden songs, 10 should be the best. You can have lots of 10s and 1s as you see fit.
  • Don't vote based on other people's votes. IE, if you think a song is overrated, don't give it a 1 or 2 just because you think it's getting "too high" of votes.

Problem with this song is I don't like the intro/verse-section at all. Especially not the guitar-riff. The chorus is great, the solo is top 5 and the mid section has Steve's best bassline... But then the transition back to the verse-riff is awkward, at the very best. So some parts are definite 10/10 and others are 5/10 which lands it at an 8 for me. This is one of those which should have been sent back to the drawing table.

As a teenager I used to worship that song. Sadly I can't connect with it anymore, though I recognize that it's very carefully crafted.
For many people, this song is a Masterpiece, a top 10 Maiden song and I can understand why. For me it's somewhere in the middle of the catalogue (~No. 85) thus the rating 5.
I love the tight pre -chorus bass -drums synergy, and the synth that sound like a woman in the middle. Once in a lifetime moment!

@Forostar @Zare I know you love that song, this video is for you, in case you haven't seen it. :)

I like that guy but he should refrain from "how they really play it" because he doesn't know how they really play it. Ok video tho.

As a teenager I used to worship that song. Sadly I can't connect with it anymore, though I recognize that it's very carefully crafted.
For many people, this song is a Masterpiece, a top 10 Maiden song and I can understand why. For me it's somewhere in the middle of the catalogue (~No. 85) thus the rating 5.
I love the tight pre -chorus bass -drums synergy, and the synth that sound like a woman in the middle. Once in a lifetime moment!

@Forostar @Zare I know you love that song, this video is for you, in case you haven't seen it. :)

I cannot connect with: "it is in the middle of the catalogue thus a 5."

Thanks for the vid, will check!

Back