Sea of Madness

How good is Sea of Madness on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
I'm very pleased to see that 10's are in the strong lead, after a lot of voting  :)

this little part is almost great melodic progrock, but without being proggy to be proggy.

...and that is a brilliant statement! The proggy period of mid to late eighties + 00's prog are, by far, best Maiden periods in my book. However today we have a more jam-based prog, where (in most cases) the main verses and stuff have conventional structures, and then the band shifts into jam type instrumental parts with non-straight rhythms and stuff. But back then, prog would just happen, it was an integral part of the song, and if you took it away, it would be like cutting off both legs.

Yeah it sounded more fluently back then, as though it happened by itself. However, God may know how many takes were done around that time. ;)

8 out of 10... Always liked this tune, Adrians lead work is pretty exceptional. Coupled with Bruce's strong vocal, the result is this one being a favorite of mine off the album.

10/10 - along with SIASL, the best song on SIT. Love the lyrics, love the guitars, love the progressiveness, love how Harry's bass work during the chorus and love the pre-chorus bridge (ooooh, my eyes deceive but I cannot believe). Great track!

@Forostar - I remember your sig from alt.rock-n-roll.metal.ironmaiden, I used to follow that newsgroup as well! :ok:

It was just Ranko, or Gul* Ranko, something like that.

* gul - from my Cardassian DS9 phase :D

I give Sea Of Madness 10/10, a real catchy tune, it is my favourite on sit, in fact I would go as far as to say it is one of my favourite maiden songs.

Amazing song with heavy verses and a great melodic chorus.  Great breakdown too.  One of my favorite Maiden songs.

This song took the longest to get into out of all the SIT songs.  But now I'm totally digging its chaotic guitars over the melancholic feel of the song.  I could not decide between an 8 or a 9, but I ended up going with the higher number.

10. The second of the three H compositions is more aggressive, more manic both musically and lyrically than the other two, but it contains one of the catchiest and heartfelt Maiden choruses ever and one of top five fave Adrian's solos. A trip that cannot be described through notes and sythesized effects that Maiden made use with a class and a dexterity still to be seen. Love it!!! :edmetal:

The beginning of the song is amazing, riffs are great, but in the end, it lacks something. Still great though. 8/10.

Song is ok. I like it a lot but the middle section kind of ruins it for me. 7/10

Underrated. Was my favorite track off SIT first time I heard it. Trademark Maiden driving riffs. Liked the opening, which to me was a bit more thrash/power than usual Maiden (and I was really into it at the time). So a solid 9. For short songs.

We should break up the voting into short songs and long songs.... I think a 9 for Isle of Avalon doesn't compare to a 9 for Sea of Madness.

Back