Satellite 15.. The Final Frontier

How good is Satellite 15.. The Final Frontier on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Satellite 15....The Final Frontier

judas_rising said:
I heard that in some interview Harris said this (Final Frontier) was the "hardest song they had ever written"?

The guitar parts get a bit confusing. I didn't bother memorizing it on guitar simply because it has a VERY strange rhythm, I will when I get a new set of strings. Comparing to ANOTHER song I know on this album (El Dorado), it's FAR more harder than El Dorado, (which is VERY simple).

Anyways... I seem to be the only one that LOVES LOVES LOOOOOOOOVES the first 4 minutes of this. The guitars do EVERYTHING, they growl, scream, sing, and hum a crazy ass intro. Probably my FAVOURITE intro to any Maiden album. (Does the first few seconds of the synth remind you of Pink Floyd's On The Run? In fact, this song is A LOT like On The Run, it has a lot going on in a spacey environment. This may just be the Pink Floyd fan in me talking...)

judas_rising said:
I think they meant hard as in heavy, not necessarily complex..?

I agree. It's a pretty dissonant, pounding track if you compare it to anything else they've done.

judas_rising said:
I think they meant hard as in heavy, not necessarily complex..?
Like I said, the rhythm is quite complex to me, but I agree. :p

Like I said, I don't know too much about music in a technical sense.  So, The Final Frontier and Brighter than a Thousand Suns can be considered Maiden's heaviest songs?  Could someone explain to me why that's an accurate or false statement, and what it means?  Thank you!

I love the first part as well as the second. One of my favorites here, plus a live beast of a song!

It's obvious they used a demo tape. The sound quality is so much different than Final Frontier...  Bruce just came in and did 2 lines and that's it.

The interview starts at around the 56 minute mark, It's half an hour or so. I think Satellite 15 comes in around the 1:14 mark? Maybe. I listened to it last night so I don't remember. It's when Adrian is talking. Adrian says he brought the demo tape to Steve as an example for a song he was thinking about. Steve said lets just use that. Adrians says re-record it. Steve says nah, lets just use it as is. Adrian a bit surprised.

i think that the final frontier is way better then satellite 15. the first time i heard satellite 15 it was a kinda wtf moment. but it grew on me. the whole album is so good... i've been thinking that i like it better then BNW

Maybe I'm the only one who hears this, but the very beginning to Satellite 15 reminds me of the jungle breakdown section of Van Halen's Somebody Get Me A Doctor.  There, I said it.  :bigsmile:

Moonchild33 said:
It reminds me of Mars Within from ToS. :p

Yes, me too.

Oh and look...Kevin Shirley using some semblance of ECCHHHOOOOO!  They must've tied him up and thrown him in a closet to accomplish something other than bone dry there.  ;)

Three possibilities:
- Zak Starkey
- Mike Sturgis
- just a drum machine.

My money's on the third option.

Back