Satellite 15 . . . The Final Frontier: Video Impressions Here

bornless1 said:
Took the day off work to indulge myself in the song.  There is an obvious seam, where more song will be, right as Eddie grabs the helmet of "Cleaner Six' and there is a scream.  This appears to be where the director cut out song.  Upon the first 40 odd listens, this what I got "HELL YEAH!!"  I'm loving the clean rocking blast from the start.  If Satellite 15 is considered a separate entity, that is great, as it will offer the listener more choice in whether we want to wade through a long slow intro, or get right to it.

I am damn proud of the lads tonight.  This song is a winner, much more clean and listener friendly than El Dorado. {which is also great].  I am temporarily satisfied with the two, but August 16th still can't get here fast enough!!

Edit: the sound effects are killing me!! somehow, if someone somewhere can find something without the frickin sound effects!!.....

Man your dedicated, losing a days pay to listen to a new Maiden track 40 odd times.

I think my biggest problem is expectations.

I saw that it was close to 9 minutes and so I expected an epic! Some massive song, with an engaging story.

Turns out it's a 5 minute rocker with an instrumental before it.  It's not what I expected and so I was disappointed at first.  The more I listen to it however, the more I come to terms with the fact that it's simply a straight rocker. Having come to that realization, having excepted the song for what it is. I now love it.

Look at it this way

Wicker Man
Wildest Dreams
Different World
Final Frontier

New Frontier has the best solo's and lyrics of the bunch. It's not as catchy as Wicker Man, but is far more catchy then Wildest Dreams and Different World. The Riff is probably the most straight forward of all the openers but that's not a bad thing. It's heavy, it's powerful, and It's good.

I think that for some people, the reason they don't like it, is because it's not the epic they expected. but then again, there are others who just don't like it, and that's fine to. I for one love it a little more, after everytime I hear it.  

bornless1 said:
Took the day off work to indulge myself in the song.  There is an obvious seam, where more song will be, right as Eddie grabs the helmet of "Cleaner Six' and there is a scream.  

That is at the 4:28 mark

My question is, what did they cut, it's either another verse to pre-chorus to chorus. Which means that they cut out a lot! Or it's a couple more lines of "The Final Frontier" Which sadly is more likely.

I can't think of anything else that would go there. I mean another solo? doesn't seem likely.

1st post!
I definitely think that this song is growing on me. I find it really catchy. It's kind of repetitive, but that's not bad; after all, it's not the first song to repeat the same line in the chorus. I do find the sound effects grating, but I can see part of the reason why they added them for this video was to prevent pirating, which I understand.

Thanks for pointing that out Jeffmetal!!  And yes prisoner....I am dedicated as all hell to this band, as we all are.  Its my cross to bear. I've now heard this song around 45 times today...If that was all of it, I would love it as a rocker in the mold of Different world/wicker man and it's closest match, which is Wildest Dreams.  If there is much more, mainly chorus and repeat, it becomes something else all together.  Anyway it is outstanding and especially Bruce shines here.  The second solo has a great feel, and is moving.  I also love the fact the solos jump on you right off the chorus, no melody or solo setup in between.  Then, Bruce is at it again right off the solos end.  Really nice.  This has been a long metal filled day, and I anticipate "THE FINAL FROONTIEEER"  ringing in the  brain all night!! 

SinisterMinisterX said:
Indiana Jones was really obvious. Alien not as much - I'm assuming you mean the way Eddie rises up behind the astronaut-dude silently?
Close, that's when it started though. I'm gonna put it in spoiler tags to protect the innocent.
I think the part where Eddie sneaks up on the pilot could be a nod to a similar scene in Aliens, but I was talking about when Eddie blew him out of the air-lock, almost note for note how Ripley kills the Alien in the first film.

Geez, I just realised that TFF indeed is the third installment in the my-life-feels-good album opener series which now consists of Wildest Dreams, Different World and TFF.

Ranko said:
Geez, I just realised that TFF indeed is the third installment in the my-life-feels-good album opener series which now consists of Wildest Dreams, Different World and TFF.

4th, if you count Wickerman.  I count Wickerman among them.  It's musically and thematically similar.  It seems we are destined to get an upbeat "Wasted Years-ish" track opening every album.

Ranko said:

Maybe musically, but lyrically? Alone, stranded. No Chance of making it home. No way to say goodbye to your family. That's depressing as fuck.

"I’m stranded in space
I’m lost with no trace
I Haven’t a chance of getting away

To close to the sun
I surely will burn"

or

"There isn’t much time
Must say my last rights
Nobody is hear to read them to me

Must say my goodbyes
If only a line
A message to tell them in case they might find"

"But I wish I could talk to my family
To tell them one last goodbye"

I was referring to the following lines:

I’ve had a good life
I’d do it again

Maybe I could go back sometime but first

For I have lived my life to the full
I have no regrets

But I wish I could talk to my family
To tell them one last goodbye

By the way, I accidentally ran into an image called "Final Frontier", it's by an artist called Randall Ensley and it was made in 2002. It isn't all that similar, but these astronaut skeletons remind me a bit of the astronaut skeletons on the album cover.

Final_Frontier.jpg

Let's be honest, the notion that man can die whilst exploring space, the final frontier, is not a new one. In fact, it's already happened. Four cosmonauts and fourteen astronauts have died in flight; a further four have died in spacecraft. If you consider the amount of people who died during the Age of Discovery, it's not a new notion at all - that we sacrifice human life to increase our knowledge of the universe. Some of the greatest European explorers of the sail era never returned - Ferdinand Magellan, James Cook, Henry Hudson - is it wrong that we honour Grissom, McAuliffe, Komarov and their ken in the same way?

That's a pretty cool picture, and if someone had told me that was concept art for the album, I wouldn't have been surprised.

Your right the lines that you highlighted are feel good lines. I still think it's depressing though, because of the context that they're in.

He's in a worst case scenario, Stranded out in space alone. I mean I can't think of anything more lonely then that. He knows he's done. He knows theres no chance to say goodbye to his family. The people he loves, and so he thinks about his life. Looking back on it, he says:   "Hey I did alright. I don't regret anything" Which I mean yeah, those are positive lines, and I think would be feel-good-lines, if they weren't said in the context that they were in.

Who knows though, maybe I'm just being negative, and choosing to focus on the more depressing side of the lyrics.

No! It's not depressing at all...the fact of the matter is that the song echoes sentiments given by the greatest explorers of our lifetimes. Go and read documentaries by fellows like Alan Shepard, or Jim Lovell. They strapped themselves to converted ICBMs and rode them into adventure, hardship, and occasionally death. They were test pilots, toughest of the tough, best of the best. They knew there was a distinct chance they weren't going back, and they wouldn't have changed a thing if it did go wrong.

I mean, consider that Nixon had in his pocket a speech to read if the Apollo 11 landing fucked. Those guys knew this was a possibility, as does every astronaut, cosmonaut, and taikonaut today.

You can't say "it's not depressing at all"

Your right about them doing something profound, and your right about how they new the potential consequences and dangers of what they were doing. However, and I think this is where we might disagree.

They are brave men, not emotionless men. There is a difference.

The Idea of dying in space alone, millions of miles away from anyone, is depressing. Regardless of why you are there. Even if your death in space saved the lives of a thousand people. It would still be depressing (perhaps more in a bittersweet sort of way).

It has to do with empathy, it has to do with putting yourself in the shoes of the person in the song. He knows he's going to die but he doesn't regret a thing. Probably because he knows that he's up in space because he's doing something that's bigger then him, that goes beyond any one person. Yet, despite that, he still wishes he could talk to his family, he wishes he had the chance to say goodbye. He is still faced with the realization that he will die alone, that his body may never be found. That his family will never know what has happened to him.

So maybe my first post makes the song sound bleaker then it is, but on the other hand it certainly isn't a "feel good song"

It's in the middle. It's  bittersweet. I think going to either extreme, may run the risk of appearing to be emotionless and cold hearted if you take the feel good approach, or negative and depressed. If you take  the other extreme, like I first did.

Even though the theme is obviously space, I took the whole song lyrics as a metaphor for death.  "The Final Frontier" is the end of life, not the beginning of space. 

Woho! First post!

Anyways, I think it's a really cool video - one of the best that they've done actually. And as far as the song goes, I think it's great. I have a hard time complaining on new material from Maiden, I mean, if I don't like it I don't have to listen to it, right?

Both The Final Frontier and El Dorado are great teasers for the upcoming album and I bet that there will be songs that are both faster, longer (well, duh!), more complex and more agressive. Therefore I look at these two songs as great additions to the Iron Maiden-catalogue.  :ok:

Back