Sanctuary

How good is Sanctuary on a scale of 1-10

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Sanctuary' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'sanctuary'

Another one that I don´t like so much. The song is just to simple and the chorus reallys bores me. Live is better but still not so good. The A real Dead one version is one of the best along with the rock in rio version.

I have I doubt. That "other music" that they play alive, in the middle of Sanctuary, where did it came from ? As I know they´ve always done that. It was "Steve´s idea" or that part came from another song ? (like the yo yo yo yo part on Drifter)

'sanctuary'

Classic old school Maiden. Simple but effective scything riff throughout and brilliant solo from Davey. Di'anno sounds great but rubbish lyrics let it down a bit. Like the rest of the album, it would have benefitted from a better/heavier production.

'sanctuary'

A real classic, though I don't understand why they don't play other songs from that album anymore. As others have pointed out, a typical Maiden composition, simple but effective (and with somewhat awful lyrics).

'sanctuary'

pretty mediocre track IMO, it has it's moments live, but it's not really outstanding. Nothing too bad about it either. I'll give it 3 stars, just for Steve's wicked bassplaying [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'sanctuary'

What a rock song! Great singing, beat and the bass is one of Steve's best moments ever.

'sanctuary'

Long one of my favorite Maiden songs (I'm huge on on the Paul era). The runs in the bassline are just brilliant. They sound effortless, almost like an offhand comment, but are insane. My favorite is the first long one when the solo starts (~1:18), I'm big on the one at the beginning of the second verse (~0:35). Also the melody lead after the second solo has alway grabbed me.

And also, for me, it is real important this song come right before Charlotte, like the original US vinyl. Maybe it is just wrong to some folks (poor bastards had to buy the single in the UK), but it was how I listened to it forever.

'sanctuary'

[!--QuoteBegin-MigDaimon+May 20 2004, 10:16 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(MigDaimon @ May 20 2004, 10:16 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I have I doubt. That "other music" that they play alive, in the middle of Sanctuary, where did it came from ? As I know they´ve always done that. It was "Steve´s idea" or that part came from another song ? (like the yo yo yo yo part on Drifter)
[snapback]66824[/snapback]​
[/quote]

It sounds a lot like the opening of "Keep Yourself Alive" by Queen. Check the song out and you will hear what I mean.

Re: 'sanctuary'

Sanctuary: this song also quite a catchy riff and also lacks depth. The lyrics do have some depth and they probably fit in best with the killers storyline. It has some nice bass soloing underneath the guitars which stay pretty simple. It suffers from too many pauses in between the verses which work great live but are a bit shifty on a studio album. This whole song is extremely simple but catchy so I give 3.5/5

Re: 'sanctuary'

Now that the dead posts have been risen.....I actually dig this song.  It's not a stand alone type song that I would play, but to really get the crowd moving and the break in song for introductions or rants is awesome.  I would give it 3.5.

Daily Song: Sanctuary

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Sanctuary

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I gotta give this one an 8. Again, a good rocker, a classic rocker, but it's not a song that does any more than grab me.

Re: Daily Song: Sanctuary

So give me sanctuary from the law and I'll be alright.

8.5/10 the song does usually lift my spirits, but I can't quite bump it to a 9.

On it's own, it's an 8, but compared to other better Maiden songs, I'll have to vote 6.

Yes, it's a good classic rocker, lifts your spirits, it's got plenty of energy, but compared to other things Maiden has produced since it doesn't stand a chance. So I give it a 5.

I don't like this song that much.  It's a nice rocker, but not very special and not even originally written by Maiden (they bought the rights to it from some dude for 300 pounds, IIRC).  There are better songs on the album, and also
better rockers like Running Free, which is far better live (not seen Sanctuary though).

So a 5 it is: I'd class it as average.

Ah, geez... It's a good rocker, I love it live, but there are a lot of better Maiden songs, so just a 7 from me.

Back