Sanctuary

How good is Sanctuary on a scale of 1-10

• Total voters
The rhytm of this song makes it last through time. Yes, the lyrics are kind of poor, but it reflects propperly the beggining of the band.
I still enjoy it.
8/10

Trivia

"I think it was a punk song, which we had a long time before. They had this song even before I joined Iron Maiden. We just creamed out for a little bit more and got that one together." (Paul Di'Anno for Wikimetal – September 26, 2002)

Things that have been done and played during the middle break of the song:

Killer World Tour – May 22, 1981 – The band plays the 'Oriental/Asian Riff'

Seventh Tour Of A Seventh Tour – August 20, 1988 – Bruce sings a small part of 'Never Gonna Give You Up' and calls it a piece of sh*t!

Seventh Tour Of A Seventh Tour – September 4, 1988 – Bruce sings a small part of 'Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)'.

No Prayer On The Road – December 21, 1990 – The band plays & Bruce sings a bit of Beethoven's 'Ode To Joy' in german.

No Prayer On The Road – December 22, 1990 - The band plays & Bruce sings a bit of 'Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee' in german.

No Prayer On The Road – March 6, 1991 - Bruce mouthes noises to the tune of 'William Tell Overture'.

Virtual XI World Tour – May 9, 1998 - The band plays a bit of 'Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee'.

Brave New World Tour – June 5, 2000 – Band & thirteen thousand fans sang Happy Birthday to Nicko 2 times.

Maiden England World Tour 2014 – May 7, 2014 – The band plays a bit of 'If I Only Had A Brain'.

Would you like to know more things like this? Get my book by subscribing at https://www.subscribepage.com/luisma666

I was rewatching Rock in Rio for the millionth time and I had forgotten how great the version of Sanctuary is on this release. I love the instrumental. Two great solos, 3 Amigos doing ‘backing vocals’, the wah-wah, Bruce running around the Steve and Nicko locked in.

Sanctuary is a classic featured on multiple live albums and probably quite fun to listen to live, but the only part I enjoy on the original record are the last 10 or so seconds. Just not my type of music, so I'm flipping between a 4 and a 5. I'll go with a 4, so that my scoring system doesn't get too inflated too early, I suppose.

Never liked this song. It's the least good (I can't say worst) song on the album, and is overplayed live. I was really disappointed when they chose to finish the set with this song when I saw them live, I expected Running Free. 5/10.
Again, exactly the same opinion lol

Except I can now say it's the worst song on the album.

Back