Sabaton

Apparently Sabaton came in at last minute to replace Manowar at Hellfest, but Joakim blew out his voice during the last show so Chris and Tommy sang most of the songs.

What they're actually releasing on June 28th is the third single to their upcoming album, the title track "Great War". Source.

D914c7zXYAIO4MU.jpg

And here it is. Much better than 'The Red Baron' or 'Fields of Verdun', but still sounds like something Sabaton have done multiple times before. Reminds of songs from 'Carolus Rex' I think.

Last edited:
I detect some influence from "Carolus Rex", "Attero Dominatus", and Primo Victoria, but instead of smacking me across the face with it like "Red Baron" did, this time it feels subdued and attempts something new. I think this song is the most inventive thing Sabaton have written in a while. I love that chorus, it's awesome. "Red Baron" and "Fields Of Verdun" have grown on me a lot, and I think that this album may end up being better than its two predecessors if the rest of the songs can at least match "Baron", the weakest of the three.

I detect some influence from "Carolus Rex", "Attero Dominatus", and Primo Victoria, but instead of smacking me across the face with it like "Red Baron" did, this time it feels subdued and attempts something new. I think this song is the most inventive thing Sabaton have written in a while. I love that chorus, it's awesome. "Red Baron" and "Fields Of Verdun" have grown on me a lot, and I think that this album may end up being better than its two predecessors if the rest of the songs can at least match "Baron", the weakest of the three.
So you are hearing some Sabaton in Sabaton's music?

It's definitely Sabaton! I think it'll grow on me. I appreciate a mid-tempo, longer (hah, over 4 minutes) song. I'm excited for the full album.

The ingredients are all there, but for whatever reason it doesn't work quite as well as it should. IMO none of the three album tracks we've heard thus far as as good as Bismarck

17 Jan 2020 - Zurich - Switzerland - Hallenstadion
18 Jan 2020 - Stuttgart - Germany - Schleyer-Halle
19 Jan 2020 - Munich - Germany - Olympiahalle
21 Jan 2020 - Vienna - Austria - Gasometer
22 Jan 2020 - Budapest - Hungary - Arena
24 Jan 2020 - Warsaw - Poland - Arena COS Torwar
25 Jan 2020 - Berlin - Germany - Max-Schmeling-Halle @Perun
26 Jan 2020 - Prague - Czech Republic - 02 Arena
28 Jan 2020 - Milano - Italy - Alcatraz
31 Jan 2020 - Frankfurt - Germany - Festhalle
1 Feb 2020 - Oberhausen - Germany - König-Pilsener-ARENA
2 Feb 2020 - Antwerp - Belgium - Lotto Arena
4 Feb 2020 - Barcelona - Spain - Palau Sant Jordi
5 Feb 2020 - Madrid - Spain - Vistalegre
7 Feb 2020 - Paris - France - Zénith
8 Feb 2020 - London - UK - Wembley Arena
9 Feb 2020 - Amsterdam - Netherlands - AFAS Live
11 Feb 2020 - Hamburg - Germany - Sporthalle
12 Feb 2020 - Copenhagen - Denmark - Forum Black Box
14 Feb 2020 - Gothenburg - Sweden - Scandinavium
15 Feb 2020 - Stockholm - Sweden - Hovet
17 Feb 2020 - Oslo - Norway - Spektrum @Dr. Eddies Wingman

European tour with support from Amaranthe (rubbish) and Apocalyptica, who I assume will do their Sabaton cover.

Wembley Arena though. Blood hell. I've seen Nightwish and Megadeth there before but didn't expect Sabaton to be bumped up just yet. I won't be able to go anyway, as I'll be seeing Delain in Bristol that night. I'd also rather wait until I see them at Bloodstock Festival in August before committing to seeing them again.

:lol: OMG! WTF?! :lol:

Obviously from an interview: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sa...ything-we-had-and-probably-a-little-bit-more/
On maintaining SABATON's core sound while trying new things:

Joakim: "I agree with you, but here's the thing: That core sound, that core sound is very different for everybody. Some people discovered us with 'Primo Victoria' [2005], some people came a little later with 'The Art Of War' [2008], or 'Heroes' [2014] or 'The Last Stand' [2016] so everybody has a different opinion on the SABATON core sound. Everybody likes the album or the era when they discovered the band in general. It doesn't matter; it's not just SABATON. If you liked 'Kill 'Em All' or 'Ride The Lightning' by METALLICA, you're not going to like 'Load' or 'Reload'."
So, Joakim is saying if you discovered Primo Victoria first, you won't like Heroes? Does he really think their sound has changed that much over the years? I also thought I read somewhere else that he thinks Sabaton is completely original and no one else sounds like them.

Back