Sabaton

abp3x7L_700b.jpg

what are the best examples of songs and albums to listen to for this band? they seem very popular all of sudden.

The way I see it, The Art of War is their finest album while Heroes is their best production sonically.

I think these are both great starting places for the band, as they contain their overall catchiest material. Primo Victoria and Attero Dominatus have some strong points, but a lot of their earlier stuff tends to blend together. Avoid Metalizer at all costs. Coat of Arms has a few incredibly strong tracks (Uprising, The Final Solution), as does Carolus Rex (Gott Mit Uns, the title track). Their latest album, The Last Stand, contains a great song called Winged Hussars and overall is similar in quality to Heroes.

In case you're unaware, 90% of this band's songs are inspired by various battles and situations in World War II. The other 10% cover other wars.

I think I like Heroes slightly more than Art of War.

I was trying to place this guy's face for ages before I realised it was Sabaton's new guitarist.

Currently going through Sabaton's discopgraphy to compile a playlist that is safe for work. Obviously anything with words "Nazi" or "Reich" or similar are out. This is proving difficult. So far I have most of Carolus Rex and not much else.

Saw them tonight. Really liked the setlist.

I suspect the girl with the big Polish flag was disappointed at the lack of 40:1, but at least she got Winged Hussars.

The acoustic Final Solution was great. The selection of songs from the previous album was also a hit. Resist and Bite/To Hell and Back will probably stay as live staples.

Sabaton was amazing last night!

The setlist was really cool, even if I wished they had done some more old stuff. It was obvious that the crowd was really into Heroes and TLS, mostly, so I understand the decision to focus on newer material. This was the setlist: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/sabaton/2017/concord-music-hall-chicago-il-23e6684f.html

Attero and Screaming Eagles really blew me away, more than I expected. Union was cool to hear, but honestly not a highlight. Lifetime of War, though not my favorite choice they could have played, was neat to hear in Swedish. They did a nice clapping acappella part in the middle that was pretty powerful.

We also were the first American city this year to get 40:1, presumably due to Chicago's large Polish population. There were 2 large Polish flags in the crowd, so that may have influenced their decision to play it. I do really love that they've stopped playing Metal Crue, though. The encore was way better without it.

Her timing is off. Disappointed Joakim didn't appear halfway through to sing with her.

Back