Rush

Top 5 Rush Albums/Next Band

• Total voters
It's an ok album. I much more enjoy listening to individual songs here and there than the whole thing in one go. As a whole it can be an exhausting listen.

A lot of Rush albums have really special qualities to them, but S&A just feels like "another rush album". At its best it's really good though. Working Them Angels is a cool song.

Hmm. I guess I'll be crazy, then! I have yet to hear Clockwork Angels in full, but so far this one ranks #5 for me.

I feel like S&A is the proggiest Rush has been since Moving Pictures and the catchiest and most energized album in decades. Granted, there are some true clunkers (Good News First, Faithless, Spindrift), but I love it.

I have yet to hear Clockwork Angels in full
Oh man you're in for a treat. After a string of meh albums Clockwork Angels really proved to me that Rush still had it in them as far as writing goes. Up there with the classics IMO.

Oh man you're in for a treat. After a string of meh albums Clockwork Angels really proved to me that Rush still had it in them as far as writing goes. Up there with the classics IMO.
Yup. Clockwork Angels is several notches above S&A in my opinion.

Clockwork Angels is a monster of an album, a true classic of the modern era. It felt like Rush was standing up to all the modern prog metal/rock acts and saying, "Settle down, children: this is how it's fucking done."

One thing I don't like about Clockwork Angels is the production. I just find it really hard to listen to.
Yea of it wasn't for the production I'd listen to the album way more than I already do. But as it is it just leaves me with a bad headache afterwards. It's so loud and muddy in the low end.

Finally finished the discography and here are my current top five:

01. MOVING PICTURES - 9.1
02. GRACE UNDER PRESSURE - 8.7
03. CLOCKWORK ANGELS - 8.6
04. HEMISPHERES - 8.5
05. COUNTERPARTS - 8.3

and the rest for those interested:
06. SNAKES & ARROWS - 8.1
07. 2112 - 8.0
08. PERMANENT WAVES - 8.0
09. A FAREWELL TO KINGS - 8.0
10. SIGNALS - 7.5
11. POWER WINDOWS - 7.2
12. HOLD YOUR FIRE - 7.2
13. TEST FOR ECHO - 6.7
14. ROLL THE BONES - 6.6
15. VAPOR TRAILS - 6.6
16. PRESTO - 6.3
17. FLY BY NIGHT - 6.0
18. RUSH - 5.2
19. CARESS OF STEEL - 5.2

You guys were right about Clockwork Angels, it's really awesome! The concept (even though it's pretty disjointed) really makes the whole thing more interesting and powerful.

Knick, did you listen to the new remix of Vapour Trails, or the original?
There's a huge difference, IMO.

(We share four top fives — PW instead of Hemispheres for me. Glad to see the love for Counterparts.)

Glad you liked it! I agree that the concept is a bit disjointed, but it more than makes up for that by having pretty much every song be really strong. One of their most consistent albums easily.

Vapor Trails remix is a must if you haven't heard it. Since that came out I've become very fond of Ceiling Unlimited.

My top five is the same too (different order) except swap Counterparts for Permanent Waves. Counterparts is still great though!

I heard horror stories about the original Vapor Trails mix so I only listened to the remix.

I love Counterparts! And as I said yesterday, I really love Snakes & Arrows. Honestly, I'd swap Hemispheres with Snakes & Arrows. Hemispheres only ended up there due to the law of averages: so few songs! The title track is solid but I don't love it, and The Trees is just average.

I should check out this remix, because I loved the original Vapor Trails. Underrated album, just about every song is very good. Nothing quite "awesome" but a very solid, consistent album.

I should check out this remix, because I loved the original Vapor Trails. Underrated album, just about every song is very good. Nothing quite "awesome" but a very solid, consistent album.
I think you'd like it. From what I've read the people who got the most out of the remix were the ones who liked the album to begin with.

Sounds like we felt the same about the original.
The remix clears away the sludge, and you hear parts you never heard before — and it's a way less exhausting listen.
It absolutely gives the songs the justice they deserve.

Knick, did you listen to the new remix of Vapour Trails, or the original?
There's a huge difference, IMO.

(We share four top fives — PW instead of Hemispheres for me. Glad to see the love for Counterparts.)
Power Windows your number 4, @mckindog ?? *rubs eyes* This doesn't match discussions we've had about this record. What happened?

edit: Never Mind, it's Permanent Waves. PW is not a good abbreviation.

Rush was amazing last night in SLC! The way they transitioned the stage from new to old was great. The newer material sounded amazing and Geddy really dug into the old stuff with a lot of fire.
Xanadu and Jacob's Ladder were phenomenal - both songs I wasn't completely sold on until this concert. Xanadu in particular sounded brilliant. JL had really cool lighting and created a great mood.

Alex looked to be having a blast, as well, and I don't think missed a note the whole night. Neil...looked like Neil. But he played drums like a beast. (Though, if I'm honest, he lost the beat for a moment in the middle of Tom Sawyer).

Overall, an amazing night. The fiancé's radio station has a permanent private box at the venue that I was able to sneak into without question so I had a much better view than from my cheap nosebleed seat. If it was the last Rush I will see, it was damn good.

Alex loves touring and Neil hates it, but he deals because he gets to take his motorcycle to different places in the world.

Back