Rush

Top 5 Rush Albums/Next Band

• Total voters
Thanks for these precisions. The very first album album is their last one. This made a HUGE impression on me : the bass sound, the quality of vocal melodies, the lyrics, Lee's voice, everything seems perfect, or very close to perfection. Then, I bought :
- Moving Pictures (love it, but I needed more time to get into it),
- 2112 (Overture, The Temple of Syrinx, A Passage to Bangkok and Something for Nothing made an immediate impression, but the other songs, especially the other and slower parts of the 2112-suite demanded more time),
- A Farewell to Kings (great).
- Counterparts : equallly divided beetween songs I don't like that much and numbers I really love : Animate, Double Agent, Hero my faves. Some years ago, I would have said these are commercial hard-rock, but nowadays I don't care anymore about these silly classifications, and I love the vocal melodies (some choruses sound like vocal harmonies althought there is a single vocal track) and the sound.

I've listened to 5 more albums on the Internet, via You Tube, but only twice or 3 times, and it's not enough to get a clear impression and make an opinion. I don't want to do the same mistake twice and ignore an album just because my first impression was mediocre. You can see I'm a starter, but I'm doing my homework seriously.

The two most obvious missing pieces to your collection are Permanent Waves and Hemispheres. Buy those next, they are awesome, consistently great from start to finish. Both are essential to any hard rock collection, let alone the Rush catalog. Permanent Waves has more radio-friendly "Spirit of Radio" and "Freewill," two of Rush's most popular hits, while Hemispheres is more progressive with long suites, the highlight being their incredible instrumental, "La Villa Strangiato." After that, then Signals. Anything else I would definitely recommend trying on YouTube or Spotify or MOG or whatever before buying. Frankly, getting one or more "best-of" compilations to cover the pre-2112 and post-Signals material is an entirely defensible alternative to buying each individual album, especially if cash is tight. Again, those other albums each have one or two really good songs, and the rest filler, IMO, but you can judge for yourself by listening to the entire albums online.

Waiting for Mosh to start the new thread. I think Cornfed is just giving advice to harrisdevot on what albums to get next.

Yea, I'm gonna start it tomorrow. I was out all day today.

The two most obvious missing pieces to your collection are Permanent Waves and Hemispheres. Buy those next, they are awesome, consistently great from start to finish. Both are essential to any hard rock collection, let alone the Rush catalog. Permanent Waves has more radio-friendly "Spirit of Radio" and "Freewill," two of Rush's most popular hits, while Hemispheres is more progressive with long suites, the highlight being their incredible instrumental, "La Villa Strangiato." After that, then Signals. Anything else I would definitely recommend trying on YouTube or Spotify or MOG or whatever before buying. Frankly, getting one or more "best-of" compilations to cover the pre-2112 and post-Signals material is an entirely defensible alternative to buying each individual album, especially if cash is tight. Again, those other albums each have one or two really good songs, and the rest filler, IMO, but you can judge for yourself by listening to the entire albums online.

Thank you very much Cornfed Hick. I'm going to strictly conform to your schedule : I've bought Permanent Waves this morning before going to work, and I will listen to it asap.

I havent heard anywhere near enough Rush to be able to vote, but I quite fancy doing some research now.

Yes Brigantium, you would be right. They are truly great and quite accessible to a Maiden fan as you. Hope you see the light as I did :p .

Thank you very much Cornfed Hick. I'm going to strictly conform to your schedule : I've bought Permanent Waves this morning before going to work, and I will listen to it asap.
Hmm, I wouldn't be too strict. Might I give some alternative/extra advice?
Again, those other albums each have one or two really good songs, and the rest filler, IMO, but you can judge for yourself by listening to the entire albums online.
Grace Under Pressure is a wonderful album, and imo a better one than Permanent Waves and Signals and most other Rush albums. While these others have their qualities, Grace sure has its own elements. More about that when it comes.

For the rest, personally, I don't think it's a good idea to start with "the best", because after that -in theory- it could become worse. If you really want to dive deep into a band, and fully appreciate what they did, I think you should go for the whole discography. Chronological order (why not follow the discography discussions?), or else I even give a contra advice: Start with the least rated albums, and you'll learn to appreciate them (or not) when you're hitting the more famous ones. It gets better and better and you even have more tolerance for lesser successful works. How did you appreciate Maiden's nineties albums? Not because you played them last. You can value their context, and recognize elements returning later in the discography.

Not tried this one yet. And I didn't know how to pronounce the 2112 title, so your post is welcome.

Top 5 Rush albums. Hmmm, let's see.
1. Moving Pictures
2. Snakes and Arrows I love Far Cry
3. Permanent Waves
4. 2112
5. Clockwork Angels

I thought I'd join in on this one... I have to admit, I am a huge fan of the but album! I guess a rarity, since I'm the lone voter :)

Back