Rush Survivor Finished: Red Barchetta wins!

satisfied with results?

• yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • no

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
Eliminated:
Territories - 2 votes
Emotion Detector - 2 votes

Eliminated:
Marathon - 2 votes
Mystic Rhythms - 2 votes

Y'all are crazy, Marathon is awesome. :p

Eliminated:
Grand Designs - 2 votes

Hold Your Fire has joined the battle!

Open Secrets
Second Nature
Prime Mover
Lock and Key
Tai Shan

One of the worst Rush albums..

I quite like Power Windows. Turn the Page is the only song I really like on Hold Your Fire.

Turn tHe page was the only one I liked when the album first came out, but others have passed it over the years.
It really is a synth pop album, but with some fine playing and some good melodies.
I've always wondered how it would have sounded if it had been produced and arranged like Permanent Waves.

Any Rush album is going to have fine melodies and playing. (Yes, even Vapor Trails) So I think I expect a bit more than that.

Why Perm Waves?

Ah got it. I still don't think I'd like it much. My gripe with Hold Your Fire is the songwriting.

I'm probably in a minority here, but the imbalance between synth and guitar on some of these albums never bothered me. I think if songs with more synth had forced guitar parts, they would suffer. The way the guitar compliments the Synth on Grace Under Pressure for example, is fantastic.

Ah got it. I still don't think I'd like it much. My gripe with Hold Your Fire is the songwriting.

I'm probably in a minority here, but the imbalance between synth and guitar on some of these albums never bothered me. I think if songs with more synth had forced guitar parts, they would suffer. The way the guitar compliments the Synth on Grace Under Pressure for example, is fantastic.

I agree with the Grace comment, so maybe the synth/guitar thing is a bit of a red herring, or a symptom rather than a cause.
Might be more about passion/aggression — very little on Hold Your Fire touches me emotionally — it's too...comfortable maybe?
(FWIW, that's a criticism I find even more pronounced with Power Windows.)

Might be more about passion/aggression — very little on Hold Your Fire touches me emotionally — it's too...comfortable maybe?
Definitely. It's part of it, but I don't think it is the reason I dislike the album. Hold Your Fire comes off to me as too cheesy 80's pop sounding. A problem the other synth albums don't have. Open Secret and Time Stand Still are good examples of this I think.

Also a little bit of trivia, in a recent interview with Ged and Alex, they were asked to name a least favorite song. Both agreed on Tai Shan :D

I am hardly bothered by form. This album simply has not that many grabbing melodies (the essence of eighties Rush) as the other eighties albums. Power Windows is way better in that regard, imo. From Hold Your Fire I like Force Ten the most.

I am hardly bothered by form. This album simply has not that many grabbing melodies (the essence of eighties Rush) as the other eighties albums. Power Windows is way better in that regard, imo. From Hold Your Fire I like Force Ten the most.
Force Ten is a song that I like more every time I listen to it. I can see it jumping in my rankings quickly.

Eliminated:
Open Secrets - 2 votes
Second Nature - 2 votes
Prime Mover - 2 votes
Tai Shan - 3 votes

Eliminated:
Lock and Key - 2 votes
Mission - 2 votes

Back