Rush Survivor Finished: Red Barchetta wins!

satisfied with results?

• yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • no

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
Great response, thanks. Much more than I expected.Next time I listen to the song I'll keep your points in mind.

It's got variation Foro, but it's all within the structure of the song.
The patterns of all three players change from verse to verse. Take a closer listen to what they are doing?
(Am I guessing right, or don't I know you anymore.;-). )

Haha! You guessed right (although you formulated in a different way ;-).

I indeed find the song a bit too repetitive to find it fantastic. Especially the chorus drags in the end (goes on and on and on).

But the solo is so beautiful. Lots of emotion in there, what a feel! And I am a sucker for such keyboard sound.

Does anyone else hear a bit of U2 in it? At least the main melody.

I hear it.
Those bottom string arpeggios (hope I'm using the right term) are Edge-like, and the keyboard washes and general tone are reminiscent of the Joshua Tree era.

Eliminated:
Roll the Bones - 3 votes
Where's My Thing? - 5 votes

I'll have to listen to some of this before voting.

Stick It Out
Double Agent
Cold Fire

My favorite 90's Rush album by far. The best songs are really good and some of the best Rush has ever done, but I think some of the songs drag the album down a bit. That said, it's still a great album, with some overlooked gems.

I played the shit out this one when it was new. I just remember being so excited that they decided to rock again.
The sound was just so good (with a young Kevin Shirley twiddling the knobs) and the songwriting really strong.
Looking at it 20 years later I knock it down a notch for the lack of progressive elements. But even at its least proggy Rush is still more interesting than most bands.
It's still in my top five Rush albums.
Every song has clicked for me at one time or another, although I'm different than you in that I value it most for its consistency.
It has no weak songs for me. It's full of eights and nines, but maybe only one ten (Animate).

After being somewhat disappointed with Roll The Bones, I never bothered with anything else from this period at first. But was blown away when I finally decided to give this a go. Everything but the prog is here, the energy, good rock, and as you said, great songwriting and good sound. I think Rush's non prog can be just as good as their prog in many cases, Counterparts is one of them.

The way I see it is that half of the album is extremely good, while the rest is just OK. Animate and Between Sun and Moon are definite 10's for me. Not sure what else.

Stick It Out
Double Agent (by accident)
Leave That Thing Alone
Cold Fire

I also will probably have to listen to the album once more to vote in the next round.

Hmm... Sun and Moon also number two for me.
Unless Vap is a hater of it and Animate, let's just kill the rest and move on.
That way, I don't have to make any tough choices. :devil2:
(Unless Foro actually decides to join us instead of just being a Monday morning quarterback :innocent:)

Double Agent (by accident)
I won't count it then.

Hmm... Sun and Moon also number two for me.
Unless Vap is a hater of it and Animate, let's just kill the rest and move on.
That way, I don't have to make any tough choices. :devil2:
(Unless Foro actually decides to join us instead of just being a Monday morning quarterback :innocent:)
Good idea. Especially since you're already trying to kill two of my other favorites :p

Three votes for Cold Fire, in round one!? Holy cow! That's it.

Stick it Out
Nobody's Hero
Double Agent

Imo this one does not contain the best songs from the nineties, but as an album, Counterparts is indeed their best album of the nineties. I also find it better than all later studio outputs, with the exception of Clockwork Angels.

edit:
I just relistened the whole album and man: the trio Between Earth, Sun and Moon, Alien Shore and Speed of Love really form the dip of the album. Certainly the dullest and most monotone songs from the album.
I am very surprised that none of these have a single vote, while the strong melodies in Cold Fire are punished merciless with three. *Shakes head in disbelief*

Between that great chunky guitar sound moving in and out and the soaring chorus I find it hard to see Sun and Moon as monotone.
But the melodies on Cold Fire (and that brief solo) are excellent.

Imo this one does not contain the best songs from the nineties, but as an album, Counterparts is indeed their best album of the nineties. I also find it better than all later studio outputs, with the exception of Clockwork Angels.
Agree with just about everything here. I would say Animate and Between Sun and Moon are up there with the best from the 90's. Every other album from this decade seems to only have two or three tracks that would go with the best anyway. Counterparts' weaker moments just happen to be better.

Back