Running Free

How good is Running Free on a scale of 1-10

• Total voters

gor

Ancient Mariner
according to the dianno interview from:

http://www.google.com.gr/search?q=cache:NH...&hl=el&ie=UTF-8

Man, its been fucking ages since I last you!
Man, I haven’t lived in England for 20 years - I now live in Brazil! Well, from my name you’ve probably guessed that I’m of Italian descent and Brazil has millions of people of Italian ancestry, probably even more than the Spanish and Portuguese. I also have family out there but I’ve lived there since 1998. Previously I was living in LA and that’s where I’ve been all this time - I came back to England for 3 weeks and hated it so I f%ked off back to LA. Most of my friends are Latin and despite being borne in London I am first and foremost a Latino.

So was it hard growing up then as a Latin kid in the East End of London?
Not as hard as growing up in fuckin LA in the 80’s! I tell you, those muthaf&*^kers hate anybody that doesn’t have money or even an English type name. If you’re not ‘Jones’ or something they treat you like a piece of shit. I was treated like garbage cos my name is Di’anno. Same with my friend - his name is Mercado. Even the Latino cops treat you bad man. It was and maybe still is a totally racist place. I even got shot in the leg while I was there (Paul shows me the wound in his lower leg)!

[...]

What about ‘Running Free’?
Running Free is about me as a kid. My mum ruled my life but she said to me ‘ you live in a shit area, but do what you can do and see what happens...as long as you don’t hurt anybody, just get on with it’. But I did get into trouble with the law a few times and that’s the only thing I wish I could change...the grief I gave my poor mama. I never really knew my real dad but my step dad was really cool. Sometimes he’d surprise us and walk
in when we were doing some speed but he’d just brush it off as long as it wasn’t heroin or the hard shit. I don’t have the same attitude with my kids though - if I catch em with anything I’ll kick the crap outta them.

it also sheds lights to Charlotte's idenity mystery.

So is the song ‘Charlotte The Harlot’ based on a real person?
Yep, its true. Her real name is High Hill Lil and she’s basically an old prostitute. Well, actually she was more of a slut ha ha. I mean, if you turned up to her house with some booze or some speed you were more or less guaranteed a lay. She was a legend in Walthamstow, everyone knew her...she was about 45 but a real rock out bitch..she’d take any guy from 15 upwards ha ha! The song says that she lived on Acacia Avenue but its
actually Markhouse Road, just before you go into Leyton cos thats the area where I lived.

the charlotte story is also mentioned at this mp3 interview at around 17 mins.

http://www.sanktuarium.com/html/relacje/dianno/in.mp3

'running Free'

Thanks mate, but I wasn't aware that Paul had lived there in his youth. Maybe it was later, or maybe he was telling another one of his stories, like being an oil rigger [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'running Free'

Now you can read other visitors' comments on '[a href=\'http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/index.php?url=album01_ironmaiden/commentary01_ironmaiden〈=eng&link=albums#track4\' target=\'_blank\']Running Free[/a]' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'running Free'

Great song, not so great lyric but yeat a great song. Live is better and one of the few songs that I say that is better sung by Dickinson. The Live After Death and the Donnington versions are the best ones.

'running Free'

A cool little song telling some kind of story. Those guitar lines in the middle sound interesting, but I miss a real guitar solo on this one.

'running Free'

that's pure fun! Simple but very effective and definitely a live classic. I remember when I was about 12, I was running around our schoolyard with Paul (a friend of mine) singing that song all the time - everyone looked at us as if we were insane! Ok, I gotta admit, we ARE insane... although my Maiden madness grew more than Paul's... good old times... sigh
5 stars!

'running Free'

I didn't like this one at first either, but now it sounds good. Very catchy. Another classic. There...really isn't much to say about this song other then 4/5.

Re: 'running Free'

Running free: How simple can a song get, nice short drum intro, this leads onto the bass which plays about 10 different notes in the whole song. Then the guitars come in with a simple riff. The chorus is very catchy and the instrumentals are a bit odd but they do work even if they are in odd places. It ends in a crowd singalong, im running free yeah, im running free. Catchy, simple: 4/5

Daily Song: Running Free

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Running Free

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I recognize this was the first single and a classic rocker. It's alright, but I never liked it all that much, and I have no emotional attachment to it. 5/10.

Re: Daily Song: Running Free

I give it a 4/10, because even after hearing it live recently it still doesn't really get to me. Catchy refrain but otherwise, not remarkable.

Great song for new Maiden-heads. It really helped me get into the debut. A classic rocker, and my dad's favorite off the album  :p.

8/10

This song just works live.  It's fun, catchy, not too serious, and I enjoy it a lot more than the other live rocker off the album, Sanctuary.  I give it 9.

'ere we go. This is a 100 horsepower rocker that stomps through any terrain and takes no prisoners. This may be the quintessential NWoBHM track, both music- and lyric-wise. Made to kill onstage and off. Simple, yet effective. A joy to sing along to as well. 9/10.

It's not the best song on the album, but it's the most fun.
The chorus sticks in your head and it has the catchiest lead bass riff ever.
Made for live, was glad to see it make a comeback in this summer's tour.
I'll give it 8 — nine for the "Wait-for-it-left-hand-side" Live After Death version.

8! People with the slightest possession of enthusiasm should start moving when that drum intro + bass enters.

Great song, a classic if there ever was one.

It's a great song to get noobs into Di'Anno Maiden, and live it's just a blast.

8. Catchy song, which has an insteresting instrumental break. Always work fantastically live.

Back