Run to the Hills

How good is Run to the Hills on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Run to the Hills

7.  Its a great song, really fun to listen to, but, like has been said, its been played too much and doesn't hold up to 'over play'.

Re: Daily Song: Run to the Hills

I give it a 5. It's not that great to begin with, and it really has been overplayed, so anything I ever liked about it has melted down and disappeared. There are much better songs on NOTB which should get the kind of recognition RTTH has gotten.

If they never bring it back to the setlist (and somehow I don't think they'll pass it over on the next "no shame greatest hits tour"), it will be too soon.

I've got to go with Perun here. I wouldn't say it's boring, but it's suddenly the most boring, out of all these often played songs. Run to the Hills has a happier tone than most other songs from that time, and that aspect alone makes it less exciting for me. Since Adrian has returned to the band, the songs sounds way heavier on stage, (check out those rhythm guitars underneath Dave's solo!), but it's still been given too much attention and praise.

I was sure I voted for this song already. Weird.

7/10.  An iconic Maiden song.  Good but not great, has some of the most memorable intro in Maiden history.  A die hard Maiden fan would not put this in their top 10 IMHO despite it being the most well know song the band did.

Here is one recent comment I did for Run to the Hills:

______no5 said:
I love and admire both songs, even if I rarely listen to them since they've been overplayed in my stereo.
Both are accomplished songs lyrically and musically. They are dense in their construction -especially RTT Hills, which in only 3'50" gives you a drum intro, the best Maiden galloping until then, a catchy chorus, a guitar solo not that bad, a kick ass bass kind of solo /bridge and a yeeeah -oh-oh-oh sing along section not at all repetitive /boring even after 25 years.
For all the above reasons, plus the production I admire Run To The Hills.
The Number Of The Beast, which is similarly dense in its construction, I like it even better, notably for the terrific spoken intro, the excellent Bruce vocals, its more accomplished story line and its better guitar solos.

So to answer to your question: no it's not a sacrilege, how it could be. But it's a kind of weird  :p

9/10

Overplayed as hell but it's still a good song. Great drums. The tone is too happy, it's not the best thing you want from a Heavy Metal band. 8/10

9 out of 10... The energy level that this song creates, especially live, is the main reason I rate this one as high as I do. The gallop makes for some great headbanging, and Bruce's vocal performance in the chorus was a pancea for those of us that worried about the band deteriorating after Di'anno left. I remember hearing the single on the radio the first time, and thinking "Wow, the new guy is great...".

It's pretty weak, but there is worse in the Bruce catalog (coughcoughLONGDISTANCERUNNERcoughcough), so it'll get a 6.  Not good live.

Maiden's most well known song, even most non Maiden fans know this one. I like it, it's got a signature drum beat and is as catchy as the flu in an airport toilet in winter. 9, it's too radio friendly for a 10.

Vortex said:
Maiden's most well known song, even most non Maiden fans know this one. I like it, it's got a signature drum beat and is as catchy as the flu in an airport toilet in winter. 9, it's too radio friendly for a 10.

Maiden's most well known song is The Trooper or Fear of the Dark I think.

maidenhead1996 said:
I think it's the trooper.

maidenhead1996 said:

I'd say that Run to the Hills is more widely known to non-metal listeners. For metal listeners, Fear of the Dark, The Number of the Beast and The Trooper would be more well known.

Same situation like with TNOTB, I rarely listen to it now, but I have to give 10/10 for such a legendary song.

I'm gonna put in the halfway mark because all though it's maiden's most famous tune, aside from the guitar solo, it just isn't that good.

7. I'm so sick of this track! I'm starting to hate it already. Songs like Number of the Beast & The Trooper are also overplayed, but at least those have kept their awesome while RTTH has not. I see no reason for why is this Maiden's most famous track. I can't give it a lower number than seven though, it's still a good song. I just have to have a long break from listening to it.

Maiden Classic .. after going for a while without listening to it, I had forgotten how good it is.

Back