Rime of the Ancient Mariner

How good is Rime of the Ancient Mariner on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Probably done by people who want Phantom, Infinite Dreams, Revelations, Powerslave or Paschendale (or more of these) end up higher in the rankings.

10!!! Well, there's not much to say about this piece of art, but I'll say that the instrumental section from when Bruce sings "Then down it falls - Comes the raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnn... Eh, Eh, Ah, Ah, Ah!!!" 'til it gets back to the verse is the most brilliant, fascinating, wonderful moment in the history of Heavy Metal music, in the 80's, at least.

It would be blasphemy for me to give this song anything lower than a 10. Despite the boring middle section this is just an epic. And live it's just pure awesome. 10/10

You know, this song is waaaaay overrated, and I think mostly because of its length. I like every part of the song except that long midsection. I will still give it 10/10. But I don't think that it deserves to be No. 2 (in the Iron Maiden Survivor).

Kill me, but it's a 8 from me. I just don't find it that special. I'm not a big fan of this album anyway, even though it has lots of great songs.

Weird, i voted 10 some time ago but i haven't posted. Probably because i have nothing to post, what's more to say?

Fuck me for saying that the middle section is boring in August. Just fuck me. This part is so perfect.

Damn this is the best song ever.

Zare said:
Weird, i voted 10 some time ago but i haven't posted. Probably because i have nothing to post, what's more to say?

I still need to do this song, plus Powerslave.

I'm been listening to this song a lot lately... And now I want to give this a 10! Damn.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner is my favourite Maiden song. With reason. It contains lots of nice rhythm patterns, tempo changes, and the song's adventurous nature is unsurpassed. The song is full of bone slicing riffs. We have some spellbinding melodies and also one of Adrian's best solos. Bruce is superb.

There is no song with better atmosphere, the threatening moods are so captivating.

Highlight:

The "..and by the light of the moon.." verses +
....and then down in falls comes the RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNN!

(followed by the coolest music, ever made by mankind)

10!  :shred:

A 10 ... a great epic.  There is nothing wrong with this song, they also pulled it off great live.

ill give this one..... 10... its a very low ten though as im not a big fan of the first half but the second half is perfect...
from the curse it lives on... its just amazing  :blush:  oooooh

10/10

No hesitation.

What an adventurous thing to do, to dignify the world of rock music with some quality Litter-A-Chure and treat it with the respect it deserves. Coleridge would have absolutely loved it. He would also be pleased that Maiden fans are among the few people who can quote the "Water, water, every where..." stanza without getting it wrong.

Bruce's vocals are so clear through the long exposition of the lyric, and the instrumental work is excellent throughout. Immensely powerful riffs appear one after another, and the middle section is deeply atmospheric with its tense augmented chords from Dave and volume swells from Adrian. Steve's bass part is one of his best ever. The riff that enters after "...the RAAAAIIIIIIIN!" is one that is just so inspiring for a soloist to stretch out over. So many ideas are poured into the composition, and somehow they managed to pull it off on stage with complete conviction.

The vision and boldness of this track make it one of Maiden's very best. There are moments in this piece that have never been beaten in rock music by anyone.

:notworthy:

Loved to read that post. Not only because it's my favourite track of all times, but I also like the way you have phrased the power of this song.

Forostar said:
:notworthy:

Loved to read that post. Not only because it's my favourite track of all times, but I also like the way you have phrased the power of this song.
This.  A good read!

Truly an absolute masterpiece, live on the Somewhere Back in Time World Tour it was probably one of the best experiences of my entire life. Everything in this song just seems to work perfectly, the instrumental side ties in perfectly with the lyrics as Maiden display their intuitive ability to convey the mood of a song through both vocals and instruments.

Rime is a perfectly laid out song. From it's epic and powerful beginning to it's soft and eery mid-section then back to telling of how to Mariner lives on. A masterpiece in my eyes. 10.

Back