Rime of the Ancient Mariner

How good is Rime of the Ancient Mariner on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Sorry to bring back the 10 star streak as this song is the greatest epic of any Maiden epic - ever.

I don't agree with a lot of the comments here. The bass part is too long and arguably it can get a little bit over repetitive when the song returns to the start near the end but it is fantastic. Bruce is great, the solo's are great and the introduction makes me want to headbang more than any other song ever, I think. 10.

Invader said:
This is one of those songs that it should be criminal for giving anything less than 10 to.  Despite being Maiden's longest song, there is not a single dull moment on this album, and it doesn't get one bit repetitive.  It works fantastically live too, I hope to hear it again once.

I guess I'm a criminal.  Last year I'd give this song a 10, but it has somewhat worn on me since, maybe too much stress.  Anyway, as of now I'll give it a 9.  This is great way to take a classic poem and turn it into a classically epic song.  Only Maiden can do this right.

10. Duh.

I love the return of the intro / early riffs after the solos. In classical composition, this is known as the recapitulation and has a musical tradition going back centuries. It has also affected my own writing. Nearly every epic I write goes back to the intro, two-thirds of the way through, thanks to the Rime influence.

Oh, and it's the single most mind-blowing live performance I've seen. Albuquerque 2008 with metric assloads of pyro.

Powerslave and this are the best 2 closing songs on an album, FACT. That proverb, "Good things come in small packages", well I disagree with that because of the likes of these songs. Maiden's longest song is also one of their best, with great lyrics and vocals, the middle quieter section just builds up the suspense and excitement (although Seventh Son of a Seventh Son does this better), and the instrumental section is just plain awesome. Another 15/10 :)

8.  Personally, I think it doesn't compare to several other Maiden epics, namely Hallowed, Alexander, Seventh Son, and the Clansman, and Powerslave off the same album betters it, but its still a good track.  Yes, it is a little overlong, sorry.

A triumph in the history of Maiden's song writing - Rime is an epic musical journey with soaring vocals, galloping riffs and stupendous harmonies and would surely bring a smile to Samuel Taylor Coleridge and make him bang his head uncontrollably if he were still alive writing trippy poetry today.

I often tend to skip the underwater bass breakdown these days, yes, very disrespectful and flippant, because I cannot wait for Bruce and the two guitar solos to kick in.

The pinnacle of the SBIT tour and a highlight of my concert-going career.  Adrian's new variation on his solo beats the original version in my opinion.

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
A triumph in the history of Maiden's song writing - Rime is an epic musical journey with soaring vocals, galloping riffs and stupendous harmonies and would surely bring a smile to Samuel Taylor Coleridge and make him bang his head uncontrollably if he were still alive writing trippy poetry today.

I often tend to skip the underwater bass breakdown these days, yes, very disrespectful and flippant, because I cannot wait for Bruce and the two guitar solos to kick in.

The pinnacle of the SBIT tour and a highlight of my concert-going career.  Adrian's new variation on his solo beats the original version in my opinion.

That's the best part.  Everything after the middle breakdown.

Not only my favourite Maiden song, but my favourite all time song. The music keeps you on edge throughout with peaks that give a sonic orgasm, meanwhile telling a great story. Steve did a fantastic job turning SCT's poem into lyrics, 13odd minutes of utter enjoyment. 10/10.

The song that made shop students around the world sign up for English Lit class. A great story, nicely told by a fearless songwriter and a group of five outstanding musicians, all at the top of their game. If I go away from Rime for a while and start to lose appreciation for its brilliance, all it takes is one careful listen to re-confirm it is indeed a ten.

Adrians new live solo kicks so much ass it unbelievable. When i was was first getting into maiden i didn't really get this song. I thought it was boring and over hyped. Once I started to pay attention to the story however, the music was brought alive. There are some insane riifs and melodies in this song and the second half is just epic by all measures. Nicko puts in a great performance aswel 10/10

10/10, there's nothing much to add to your comments, one of the best Maiden epics along with SOTC and PFD.

What can I say about this one that hasn't been said yet? Seeing this one live, with the fireworks going on during the solo was one of the greatest concert moments I ever witnessed. From chills to neckbreak, this song has it all. 10/10, easily.

I don't think there's need for too much explanation, only one thing: It was such great move to 'cover' a classic poem, plus including actual parts of it, back in 1984. 10/10

7 out of 10... Everyone I have ever known who professes to be a Maiden fan heaps praise on this song... I don't. I don't dislike it by any stretch, but if there is one overated Iron Maiden tune, IMHO, this is it. The musicianship is top drawer, and Bruce has some very cool moments, but I've never put it in the upper echelons... For me, it tends to drag...

10/10, Cause nothing less will do, well crafted musically, very engaging. A Great adaptation of STC's poem, a wonderful bit of story telling.

It gets a high 8 because, although the music and singing is fantastic, it has never had the emotional impact of other Maiden epics.

High 9, borderline 10. Amazing song. For me its not as good as some other Maiden songs, but then I have only given 10 to about 5 maiden songs so far.

Why has it gotten two fours?  :mad:

Back