Replacing Nicko?

efekåseo_suomi

Ancient Mariner
I just went through the isolated tracks from Birmingham 2023, and this has to be the worst Iron Maiden has sounded since 1998. Do you think Nicko will be replaced or at least play only part of the shows in the future?

Steve and Rod hearing performances like this then unveiling a tour entirely focused on the eighties material and expecting Nicko to cope with it would be almost cruel. I honestly think a replacement drummer is already set for next year or I doubt the tour would ever be able to go ahead. Remember as well that Nicko's stroke wasn't revealed until the previous tour was nearly over, Bruce's cancer was also kept quiet until he had been treated for it, so I expect once the Future Past tour finishes there will be a very sad, but necessary, announcement.

And I understand that his below-average performance is affecting the band. However, I don't know if it would be worth the avalanche of criticism (which there certainly would be) if Steve announced a replacement.

Steve and Rod hearing performances like this then unveiling a tour entirely focused on the eighties material and expecting Nicko to cope with it would be almost cruel. I honestly think a replacement drummer is already set for next year or I doubt the tour would ever be able to go ahead. Remember as well that Nicko's stroke wasn't revealed until the previous tour was nearly over, Bruce's cancer was also kept quiet until he had been treated for it, so I expect once the Future Past tour finishes there will be a very sad, but necessary, announcement.
Exactly, it's the critical moment - no way he will be able to play correctly on next WORLD tour, especially if we realize most hits from the first 9 albums reaquire dynamic and advanced drumming. I think Nicko could play as a very special guest, just some songs, but generally it's time to change the sticks for good.

I’m in two minds. Nicko’s drumming had been the backbone of the music that has shaped my life for as long as I can remember. I can’t overestimate the impact of Maiden’s music on me and my development as a person (this thread is not the place for that story). Sure it would be great to see him next year if he is healthy. If they replace him, I will still go but a huge part of the soul of the band will be missing.

I would rather they called it day than started replacing members. A band is not just about the music. It’s the people. You can’t get new people and expect it to be the same band at this stage of their career. They’ve been the same band for 25 years.

To be fair, they could have retired after the Legacy of the Best tour and I would have been happy. For me, that was the ultimate tour.

Last edited:
Except for blaze's live performance (which was the band's fault), the band was sounding very good in late 90s (specially nicko). It was the time when he played the songs the fastest.
Nicko was still awesome then and I don't blame blaze even one per cent for the band forcing a baritone to sing out of range five nights a week when they could have tuned down, played more Paul material etc

This makes me so sad. Nick can sound just about competent and "get away with it" but it's tragic his age and health means that's the best he can ever do.

He's not terrible, I still think he's passable and I give the guy all the credit in the world for persevering but how the hell is going to play much longer at his advanced age with his health? And all these difficult 80s tunes.

I joke about Futureal all the time but at least the studio version of that would be easy for him to play. How's he gonna play RTTH, Killers etc

If Maiden had to replace him they should get Mikky Dee

I’m going to see them in November- my last IM show was 38 years ago in 1986 - and I’d rather see a less than 100% Nicko than any replacement.

I’ve already seen sad replacements in concert for Keith Moon and John Bonham. Fortunately Rush had the dignity not to do a post-Peart travesty.

They could pull a Mick Fleetwood and have Nicko on stage with the band, but a touring drummer behind the scenes playing everything you actually hear…

Here we are in 2024, contemplating of replacement of one band's members. On one hand we love our ( Steve, Bruce, Nicko, Dave, Adrian and Janick) Maiden, on the other hand, as live show consumers, we want to get the best possible product. I formulated this dilemma a while ago: being in a band, apart from very tragic turn of events, it's very hard to spot the moment when it's time to hang it up. We all are humans and we all want 'it to last a little bit longer' whether it to be 'yeah, my favorite band is still active and touring' or 'tomorrow i'll play my instrument better, I will stay in the band yet for a while'. Step by step, and your favorite band becomes a pale shadow of the former self. Partly due to audience's 'please don't retire', partly due to the human nature of the band members.
I don't have answers what to do in this situation. That's the sucky part of the thing called Life.

Last edited:
I sure hope to see Nicko on stage next year. At least if he himself wants it, let him continue, he always try his best. Maiden still play better than all other bands there

If he is not, then thank you so much for all you’ve done for over 40 years in Maiden!

Do you really think they have planned a tour 2025/26 and maybe even with the idea that it is part 1 without having a replacment for Nicko?

They are not beginners who think it will alll work out somehow.

To me it looks like no improvement. Disappointing. But I know that you don't believe what I say about healthcare (although I am quite expericenced).

Back