rate all 17 Maiden albums best to worst

I am going to politely restate the fact that if you work in a organisation with a boss who sets the rules, you do tend to follow them to keep your job. When it comes to Janick's songwriting, he is following the constraints set down by Steve (similar constraints that led to Bruce leaving in 1993 due to being unable to bring in different musical inspiration). Janick is subject to the same constraints, and to accuse him of recycling ideas without taking this into account is churlish, to say the least.

Since a Mod has already made two comments about cease and desist I think you should really just let this go…just saying.

To be fair the debate had nothing to do with the topic of the thread

That in itself is debatable. The thread is about the quality of all 17 Maiden albums.

So if on nine of these albums (FOTD - SJ), one regular songwriter has repeatedly 'recycled' and 'self plagiarised' in their songwriting, surely this affects the quality of well over half of Maiden's recorded work?

Recall Gers' credits (5 x FOTD / 7x TXF / 1x VXI / 3x BNW / 3x DOD / 2x AMOLAD / 2x FF / 2x BOS / 2x SJ). That's 27 songs Gers has co-written for Maiden since 1992. If he's a "weak link" in songwriting terms, that's a problem for the quality of nine of the seventeen albums...

...the relative quality of which, after all, is the subject of this thread.

Super fucking glad to see Final Frontier in someone's list! A classic and, imo, the most underrated reunion album.
Not sure about classic, but definitely underrated.
I think being released after AMOLAD didn't help, if it came out after Dance of Death I think people would go bonkers over it.

I think being released after AMOLAD didn't help, if it came out after Dance of Death I think people would go bonkers over it.

It kind of was for me. The Final Frontier was the first album Maiden released since I became a fan in 2009, I'd already heard Brave New World and Dance of Death at that point but hadn't quite dug into A Matter of Life and Death so I didn't have that context/comparison. I didn't even finish TFF on my first listen, I think I made it to The Talisman and just lost interest, the only thing that stuck with me was Starblind (and El Dorado, though I'd obviously heard that before). It wasn't until I listened to En Vivo! that I revisited The Final Frontier with a new perspective.

speaking about TFF: I unfortunately never had a chance to go into the album like I did with every other Maiden album. I became a Maiden fan in 1986, and whenever a new Maiden album came out I celebrated it in some way. but the day TFF was released was the day my best mate committed suicide. I ordered him a CD copy as well a few days before it happened, and when I came to see him having the CD with me he was found dead a few hours earlier. so I guess I'll never be able to have a "normal access" to the album, it's just "the sad album".

Back