Rant Thread

You know what's the worst? When the fucking parents cater to their child's every whim at the dinner table. Seriously. I know someone who cooks for her family a nice meal and then cooks mac and cheese extra for her daughter. Why? Is she the parent? This is all the kid has ever eaten for dinner, outside of a rare pizza or buttered noodles. I mean, I love mac and cheese, but every meal? Oh, and don't DARE serve her the WRONG mac and cheese, or else! Seriously, stop worrying about all the bullshit in Washington and start looking around your neighborhood and clean it up first. There's so much bullshit, goddamn.

I'm in two minds about this. Refusing to eat something because it falls short of your preference is ridiculous for an awful lot of people, but then there are the minority who genuinely can't bear certain tastes (or more often, textures). I live with someone who nearly throws up just at the sight of butter being spread, let alone the feel of it, yet will happily eat things like shortbread that clearly taste buttery, or even eat melted butter on toast with jam. Humans do eat some weird shit, come to think of it.

I don't mean to disparage any picky eaters, or whatever, but quite literally, every negative reaction to food that isn't allergenic is in one's head. So while I will generally give people slack for one or two food things, when it becomes a goddamn list as long as my arm, that's when I get ranty.

When the fucking parents cater to their child's every whim at the dinner table. Seriously. I know someone who cooks for her family a nice meal and then cooks mac and cheese extra for her daughter. Why?
There was a story about an autistic kid in BC who will only eat Kraft Dinner (which is amazing Canadian mac & cheese). In my home, growing up, you had to try a few bites of something, then you could get yourself something else. One of my sister's friends (aged appx 10-11) one threw a fit when guesting for dinner because she wasn't getting something she thought she liked, so my mom told her to walk home for dinner if she wanted, because that was the only way she'd get something else.

Damn kid tried the food and loved it. Never apologized though.

I don't mean to disparage any picky eaters, or whatever, but quite literally, every negative reaction to food that isn't allergenic is in one's head. So while I will generally give people slack for one or two food things, when it becomes a goddamn list as long as my arm, that's when I get ranty.
Agreed. I mean, everyone has something they dislike, I have my own (potatoes can go fuck themselves) but if that's what I'm being served, that's what I'm gonna eat.

I used to be a pretty picky eater. Haven't been in the recent years though, if it's a food that's good for your health, I eat it even if I don't like it.

I absolutely do not eat food that I don't like and doesn't have much nutritional value, though. Do not expect me to eat ramen noodles ever. If that's all you're serving me and I can't get my own food, I'm skipping the meal.

I don't mean to disparage any picky eaters, or whatever, but quite literally, every negative reaction to food that isn't allergenic is in one's head.
That's cheese for me. I'm not allergic and I know it's irrational, but I'm not going to eat it (with some exceptions).

You know what's the worst? When the fucking parents cater to their child's every whim at the dinner table. Seriously. I know someone who cooks for her family a nice meal and then cooks mac and cheese extra for her daughter. Why? Is she the parent? This is all the kid has ever eaten for dinner, outside of a rare pizza or buttered noodles. I mean, I love mac and cheese, but every meal? Oh, and don't DARE serve her the WRONG mac and cheese, or else! Seriously, stop worrying about all the bullshit in Washington and start looking around your neighborhood and clean it up first. There's so much bullshit, goddamn.
Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't have children of your own, right? Children often obsess over food for various periods of time. Like, they would literally eat ONE food for months on end and refuse everything else. So a parent has two options - serve what the child wants or struggle with tantrums and screams for weeks or more, until the child 's will is broken. Personally, since I'm a parent who prefers not to give myself extra headache when I can avoid it, I prefer to cook for my daughter whatever she wants to eat and just wait for her to decide she wants to move on. It has happened several times already.

I've never been a picky eater. There is one food that almost makes me vomit though, not sure how the rest of the world calls it but here it is liver sauce.

I have another beef with food. Growing up, there were three kids in my family and not a whole lot of income. The food we ate was not great in quantity nor quality. I was little and didn't know better so I thought this was the norm. I have sometimes been asked, at random doctor's appointments etc., whether they feed me at home. This of course didn't make sense to me because yes, I did eat at home. But the older I've grown, the more I realise how much my weight problems have stemmed from those times. It pisses me off how little I could eat when I was younger, and yet I was under the illusion that there is nothing wrong with my nutrition. And later on, when finance has been no problem at all, it has all been about eating healthy. My mother is a great cook but she never understood that a tall skinny lad who is growing up needs to eat a shitton (or -tonne, I need Loosey to clarify). THAT would be healthy, not a small serving of a delicious salad. I've been home alone for longer periods this summer so my menu hasn't been the most varying (mainly eggs, pizza, noodles, meat) but damn, I never miss a meal and my appetite is super. And this is how I want it to be. I think I can finally see a bit of muscle on me bones, but there is a long road ahead of me.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't have children of your own, right? Children often obsess over food for various periods of time. Like, they would literally eat ONE food for months on end and refuse everything else. So a parent has two options - serve what the child wants or struggle with tantrums and screams for weeks or more, until the child 's will is broken. Personally, since I'm a parent who prefers not to give myself extra headache when I can avoid it, I prefer to cook for my daughter whatever she wants to eat and just wait for her to decide she wants to move on. It has happened several times already.
I mean, sure, something like that is fine and all, but what about someone who will not move on no matter what, who literally eats the same damn thing every night for years and years and years? What you've outlined is fine because your daughter does move on and tries new things. My main gripe is about those who don't and likely never will.

I don't want to go too deep into this because it would probably be super boring to everyone else, but this is interesting to me. How old is the child? And has it really always been mac and cheese? Only for dinner or every meal? Sorry for the interrogation.

I don't want to go too deep into this because it would probably be super boring to everyone else, but this is interesting to me. How old is the child? And has it really always been mac and cheese? Only for dinner or every meal? Sorry for the interrogation.
Nah it's fine. The child is about 10 or 11 I believe, and it's only for dinner (I don't know what she eats for breakfast, but for lunch it's usually something like a peanut butter and honey sandwich, and for almost every lunch). It's not for every single dinner she's had in her life, but close enough. On some occasions she'll have a slice of pizza or another pasta dish, but those times are few and far between. Otherwise, yeah, just mac and cheese.

There's no food that would outright make me vomit except maybe that disgusting moldy blue cheese that smells like dirty feet. I also really hate kiwi. There's stuff like strawberries or similar fruit which I don't like but I'll eat if really pressured. Same goes for stuff like cabbage, green beans or kale; I'll avoid it as much as I can but I'll easily eat it if there's nothing else. Meat-wise: pretty much every meat I tried is good, but stuff like aspic or tripe makes me nauseous.

I do know someone who would only eat fries and chicken every day if available. Sometimes just fries.

I wasn't allowed to be picky when I was a kid, which in retrospect was a good thing. I mostly agree with Ariana; I obviously don't have a kid but when I had to take care of my little brother for a few days I usually just let him pick what he wants as long as it's not pizza or any fast food in consecutive days. Saves the hassle, although kid isn't too picky either; a few days ago he said the dog's food was tasty. Mac & cheese every day though? LOL. That is both unhealthy and bad parenting.

Everyone has some foods. I, for example, dislike pickles (although I think that's changing as I grow older). I begrudge no-one some preferences. But when it's an absolute constant, it's ludicrous.

Back