Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Can I Play with Madness?' started by Ariana, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Brigantium

Brigantium Grim Reaper Staff Member

KidInTheDark666 likes this.
  2. Saapanael

Saapanael "Get a life, punk!"

JudasMyGuide and Brigantium like this.
  3. Perun

Perun Stepping out bravely Staff Member

Quoted for emphasis.

4. Perun

I'll just turn this into a proper rant.

I was on a health insurance plan until early 2017, when I got a job abroad that lasted for 10 months. Refer to the first half of this thread for details on this job. When I got back to Germany, I got a temporary employment that paid directly to the insurance from my paycheck, so all I had to do was sign a document with them. The employment ended in October, and I got in touch with them afterwards, because none of the options in the form sheet they provided matched my income situation. I had a temporary freelance position with a single payment, something which is common in Germany and yet not known to my insurance company, apparently. I told them what I'd earned and provided them with the bills I'd sent out (because I hadn't been paid yet), and then... heard nothing. I sent them emails repeatedly that weren't answered, because during business hours, I am either in the library or in public spaces, so I'd prefer not to handle this via phone. So anyway, for about five months, I heard nothing from my insurance. No statement of a new plan and how much I have to pay, no statement of what I have to pay for the months that went without payment, and no fucking clue whether I was insured or not either. I started getting from miffed to annoyed, and since I'm abroad again until late March, it's gotten more complicated to handle. I couldn't call them from here because there seems to be some sort of issue either with my provider or my phone and half the calls I make to Germany don't get through properly. So anyway, after a few more emails, I finally got a response and a call last night and discussed matters with, admittedly, an extremely friendly and understanding lady. But the message was clear: I pay a certain amount for October-December (which I expected, although it's higher than expected) and am on a new plan retroactively since January (when my current income situation started) for a significantly higher amount than I'd ever paid before. Which is sort of understandable because my income is higher, but still, it's 19% of my income, which would really put me into trouble if my other expenditures were higher than they are. The reason this pisses me off is that I actually managed to save a bit of money recently and have a comfortable balance on my account, which will now almost be cut in half by the retroactive payments.
    I'm not sure if this is Kafkaesque for the self-serving bureaucracy exposed, of Lovecraftian for the sheer magnitude of forces that are sucking my energy but ultimately don't care for my own existence.

5. Magnus

Magnus Ancient Mariner

Impressed by my own stupidity. Sprained ring finger on Monday, forgot to immediately remove ring, hand looked like northern lights on Tuesday. Less colourful today but still, the idiocy.

Black Wizard likes this.
  6. Brigantium

Brigantium Grim Reaper Staff Member

It certainly sucks.

7. Night Prowler

Night Prowler CriedWhenBazzaSued Staff Member

Client got his service in time, said everything was fine, then again snitched on me and the firm to his company. Disgusting little snitch with a face of a serial killer. Fucker is super nice in e-mails and on the phone, then snitches behind our backs. Sad (and weak) person.

8. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 As you scream into the web of silence...

You ever thought that perhaps posting on a public Internet forum about your job isn’t quite the smartest move? :p

Collin and CriedWhenBrucieLeft like this.
  9. Wogmidget

Wogmidget I rather like the restless nights

Yeah, but it wouldn't be much of a rant thread without workplace grievances

10. Number 6

Number 6 Ancient Mariner

Not really. His profile doesn't show his name, neither where he lives, and IIRC, he also never actually said where he works.

11. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 As you scream into the web of silence...

T h e h i l l s h a v e e y e s . . .

12. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

What is he "snitching" on if he got his stuff on time?

13. Night Prowler

Night Prowler CriedWhenBazzaSued Staff Member

He sent me an e-mail on a Thursday 10 minutes before I left, and Friday was Statehood Day here, and I told him I'll get back to him next week. He complained I wasn't doing stuff fast enough. Asshat.

14. Magnus

Magnus Ancient Mariner

Imagine Class Girl and Co-Worker Girl discovering this forum. :eek:

15. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Cereal Litigator

This is why I don't post much about work here. I've been quite open about what I do but don't want to get into specifics about things at work as it would easily be linked back to me. I also have online profiles associated with my career and may be expected to speak to the media about stuff.

CriedWhenBrucieLeft likes this.
  16. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

Scene: It's June 16th, 2024. Dr Black Wizard has been asked to comment on something by the BBC.

"Thank you for the comment on that weather related event. Also, is it true that you once trolled a man named 'For O'Star' for several months by suggesting any comment made that you mildly disagreed with was racist?"

17. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Cereal Litigator

Let me just tell you this: that is a bullshit accusation which I will now report.

LooseCannon and The Flash like this.
  18. Magnus

Magnus Ancient Mariner

Writing down the Elder Futhark for @Perun , making more than one mistakes. :facepalm:
    Must be banned indeed.

Perun likes this.
  19. Perun

Missed alif-i makhsuh in Arabic, so I can't ban you.

Great to meet you. We're getting our book deal, btw.

Magnus likes this.
  20. Collin

Collin Tool Aficionado

Fucking Audi. My other cv joint (or boot) decided
    to break. That’s two in less than a year. Last one cost me about $1300 to fix. Also both my rear shocks essentially broke off.

Make a better car Germans!