Rant Thread

Yeah, that's what I was about to say to everyone later during the day...

Hmm, I wonder if you could (and want to) speak with your boss about this. What struck me especially, is this:
nobody gave me any advice
I was left completely alone
My role in all this was completely ignored
I had no way of knowing. No word of acknwledgement, no apology for leaving me alone to deal with this, not even anything telling me that I was wrong to go this way. Simply nothing.
What the FUCK do they expect? They throw you in, and then all this barbarian behaviour.
Perhaps some of these "conditions" can be discussed. What does he expect and what can he expect? What is the real situation here... It's a lot about roles but also about being able to do things with little to zero information or collaboration. Unfair.

I get the impression this is increasingly the conditions people are finding themselves in at many places of work, and in many industries & professions. These are often deliberate management tactics. Discussion is closed down; dissenting opinions are ignored or met with hostility; "yes men" are positively sought out for forums, working groups etc; layers of management are created to buffer the top from the bottom; rights are eroded away to statutory or worse; rules are openly flouted. It feels to me like it's been moving in this direction (in the UK) for a while now. People are left with no options usually, other than leaving; & that isn't always practical. And in these working conditions people turn into fannies & start treating other people like shit. Of course, some people were fannies to begin with...

What the FUCK do they expect? They throw you in, and then all this barbarian behaviour.
Perhaps some of these "conditions" can be discussed. What does he expect and what can he expect? What is the real situation here... It's a lot about roles but also about being able to do things with little to zero information or collaboration. Unfair.

It doesn't matter - I'm on my last four weeks now. I had an exit interview today actually, in which I addressed some of the points, but I understand if my team doesn't want to do any adjustments for me anymore. Half a year ago, it would have been an entirely different matter.

I get the impression this is increasingly the conditions people are finding themselves in at many places of work, and in many industries & professions. These are often deliberate management tactics. Discussion is closed down; dissenting opinions are ignored or met with hostility; "yes men" are positively sought out for forums, working groups etc; layers of management are created to buffer the top from the bottom; rights are eroded away to statutory or worse; rules are openly flouted. It feels to me like it's been moving in this direction (in the UK) for a while now. People are left with no options usually, other than leaving; & that isn't always practical. And in these working conditions people turn into fannies & start treating other people like shit. Of course, some people were fannies to begin with...
Pretty much. I'm glad websites like Glass Door have appeared now, though. A bad online review is probably more likely to have an effect on a bad employer than an exit interview or trade union action.

Those who know me know that I like military history. I recognize that it's not the type of history that matters, per say, but it's fun. It's like watching a cheesy action movie. But whenever you start delving into the world of military history, you come across a particular type of individual. The Nazi fanboy.

I don't mean to say that this person is a Nazi. They aren't. They aren't a fan of what the Nazis did in terms of people, they aren't a fan of Hitler, they certainly don't want Germany to have won the war. But they will argue that, militarily, everything Germany did or made was greatly superior to anything that they didn't make. They make the argument that German tanks were better than Allied tanks (especially American tanks), airplanes were better, guns were better, and any deficiencies therein were entirely due to numerical enemy opposition. Ask any question about any sort of military stuff, and you get pages of people arguing this, and they ignore absolutely all counter-arguments and, indeed, factual numbers.

There's a second subset who are Japanese samurai fans, and they furiously masturbate themselves regarding things like the katana (a thoroughly unimpressive sword by the standards of medieval Europe) or the effectiveness of ninjas (which were mostly a myth anyway). I'm fine to admit that some stuff was good from both locations, but I can't get over this blind acceptance of legend over reality!

This same theme (minus the katana) has just been discussed in a miniatures painting FB group I'm a member of. The group itself is very chilled, and debates stay sensible. However, it's been noted that associated militaria groups and historical re-enactment groups are really bad for excessive Nazi fanboyism. A lot of it seems to stem from admiration of the swanky unforms and perception of a generally badass image.

The uniforms are very cool, and the image projected is interesting...but it's all kinda bullshit.

The Nazi military buffs aren't exactly right, but... ya gotta admit, they had some incredible stuff on their side.

They aren't right at all. It looked cool and it had good reputations but most of it was over-engineered by eggheads and built by slaves.

And then they mixed Fanta and Cola and married two things that belonged together.

Back