Random trivia

True.  That is what I meant by the confidence factor.  Given the fact that a majority of Maiden fans have given up on their band during the Blaze years, many were apprehensive to buy Brave New World

Genghis Khan said:
Given the fact that a majority of Maiden fans have given up on their band during the Blaze years, many were apprehensive to buy Brave New World
  I must confess I fall into this category.  After hearing No Prayer for the Dying, I pretty much stopped listening to Iron Maiden until shortly before the AMOLAD tour, at which point I bought the Blaze-era albums (underrated by the public, overrated by this forum) and the reunion albums.  Not too impressed with Dance of Death, but love the other two.  (But those are other topics.)

More movie trivia, with the awards season upon us:  Only three films in history won the Oscar "grand slam" , i.e., Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor and Best Actress.  What are they? 

I know this is "random" trivia, but maybe the Maiden board needs to have a Maiden trivia section. Just so newbies who don't know much about Maiden can read up on it.

Any takers? Or was there a Maiden trivia board here back in like 2000 or something? Just curious... :)

Usually, because people are told to read The Commentary, we have never found the need for a designated "Maiden Trivia" thread.  In older times, as well, there was a little Maiden Trivia thing that was part of the website.  But such a thread would be boring to most of us, and repetitive after a little while.

I see that no one has asked another question.

What is the name of the earth's atmospheric layer that has the highest amount of ozone?

Powergirl81 said:
I know this is "random" trivia, but maybe the Maiden board needs to have a Maiden trivia section. Just so newbies who don't know much about Maiden can read up on it.

Any takers? Or was there a Maiden trivia board here back in like 2000 or something? Just curious... :)

Not forbidden to open such a thread on the Maiden-board. Go ahead if you wish.

Talking of dogs here, particularly the German Shepard, can anyone tell me the reason why the German Shepard dog became known as an Alsatian in the UK?

The clue is in the name. ;)

Albie said:
Talking of dogs here, particularly the German Shepard, can anyone tell me the reason why the German Shepard dog became known as an Alsatian in the UK?

The clue is in the name. ;)

During the First World War, it was changed to avoid the negative connotations of the name...which is the same reason why the Royal Family was changed from 'Saxe-Coburg Gotha' to Windsor.

national acrobat said:
So is the dog native to Alsace or what? Isn't that in France?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alsatian

"A term for the German Shepherd Dog which was invented during World War I, using Alsatian (Alsace being a region disputed by France and Germany) as a euphemism for German. It is commonly used in the United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland and the Commonwealth of Nations."

Raven is right. I don't think the dog was necessarily native to the Alsace region or not (it may have been), but we Brits simply did not want anything to do with its German name back then - apparently. And the fact Alsace was under French rule - and not Germany at the time - was the reason for the name.

Albie said:
And the fact Alsace was under French rule - and not Germany at the time - was the reason for the name.

Sorry to bicker there, but Alsace was under German control during WWI. It was ceded to Germany together with Lorraine by the French government in 1871 and reclaimed in 1918. It was never really an integral part of Germany -to outsiders- though, so that might be the origin of the euphemism.

In France during the interwar period (1871-1914) schools often called Alsace-Lorraine "unredeeemed territory" or simply as "occupied by Germany" or "unlawfully ceded to the German Empire".

Back