Random trivia

Onhell said:
One of his many acid trips?

A reasonable guess, as there were Beatles songs about that (see "She Said She Said" in particular).
But no, that's not right.

However - since this question has been up for a long time with no answer, perhaps it's time for a new question.
Here's the answer:
Lennon was referring to his acting role in the 1967 movie "How I Won The War".

Time for someone to post the next question.
And anyone who even mentions the king of Hawaii is going to get slapped with a freakin' pancake.

national acrobat said:
Who originally played The Phantom of the Opera in the musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber?
Steve Harley - I think. I know (at least I think) he did that single with Sarah Brightman.

But it could be Michael Crawford - but I'm sticking with Steve Harley.

It's the other one. ;)

Although according to our friend Wikipedia:
Steve Harley "was set to star as the phantom in the London premiere of The Phantom of the Opera, and recorded the promotional single of the title song, but was replaced close to rehersals by Michael Crawford."
So depending on how you read it, maybe you were right.

All I do remember was Steve Harley as the Phantom before Michael Crawford. I can't say for sure who was the first to take stage, though. I'll take your word for it. :D

Although, I must add that both Crawford and Harley each had a big impact on my youth. Both of them where such big icons of the late 70's.

Film or stage?  If stage, I'll have no idea.  For film, it would have to be someone from the old studio system days.  I'll guess John Wayne.  Or maybe Buster Keaton.

For film, I would have actually gone for Michael Caine. The guy has had leading roles ever since the 60's.

cornfedhick said:
Film or stage?  If stage, I'll have no idea.  For film, it would have to be someone from the old studio system days.  I'll guess John Wayne.  Or maybe Buster Keaton.

Very good, John Wayne.

Wayne_neu_6_DW_Kult_258122g.jpg

He was an actor between 1926 and 1976, a period in which he played 142(!) leading parts, if I may believe the International Movie Database.

Caine is one of my favourite actors of the moment, and he is already busy for 52 years. Still not that many leading roles as Wayne, I suppose.

Movies are now so expensive that Caine is probably in no more than 2-3 films per year.  Back in the old days, entire movies could be shot in a couple of weeks.  So, leading men (and women) who were tied to a particular studio could put out a dozen or more films per year.  Interesting sidenote:  I read somewhere that Casablanca was originally intended as a throwaway film to fill out Bogart's contractual commitment, and that until filming started, no one had any idea that the film was going to be particularly special. 

Forostar said:
Very good, John Wayne.

He was an actor between 1926 and 1976, a period in which he played 142(!) leading parts, if I may believe the International Movie Database.
143 leading roles, but only 2 or 3 different characters! :D

Stats are stats ;)

Interesting trivia, that Casablanca one!

The Duke: indeed 2 or 3 different characters, but very typical and recognizable. Everyone knows him (even people who haven't seen a film of him!)

Caine is very good but less characteristic and less recognizable (apart from his accent).

LooseCannon said:
What about Christopher Lee?

A long career, but never many leading roles. I even think that John Wayne's record means first credit, not only just mentioned as one of the leading players.

Another question:

In the British charts, which FOUR Iron Maiden studio albums (no best-of's, compilations, live-albums, singles, EP's etc.), had the worst chart positions? You don't have to mention the positions, just mention the 4 albums (out of Maiden's 14), which did the worst.

Forostar said:
In the British charts, which FOUR Iron Maiden studio albums (no best-of's, compilations, live-albums, singles, EP's etc.), had the worst chart positions? You don't have to mention the positions, just mention the 4 albums (out of Maiden's 14), which did the worst.

Killers (12), The X Factor (9), Virtual XI (dunno), Brave New World (7, I think).

I'm rather confident of those numbers, but not entirely sure.

Perun said:
Killers (12), The X Factor (9), Virtual XI (dunno), Brave New World (7, I think).

I'm rather confident of those numbers, but not entirely sure.

Correct!

Chart positions:
Virtual XI (16)
Killers (12)
The X-Factor (8 )
Brave New World (7)

Genghis Khan said:
I guess the fans were not really confident of the reunion (at first at least).  ;)

Who would have expected that indeed! BNW the 3rd but worst album in the British Charts!

Hail No Prayer For The Dying! Hail Fear Of The Dark!  ;)

Chart positions usually only refer to how many people ran out and bought it on the first week or two, so I don't think they are reliable measures of how popular the album is overall, more how popular they were when the album came out.

Back