Random trivia

Natalie said:
Which TV series features a popular robot and a creator of another highly popular TV series in the same genre?

Hint: It's back on the air in 2008 and a movie with the robot in the title was released not too long ago.
It's not Futurama, is it? Bender the robot and the creator being Mat Groening of Simpsons fame.

This question has to do with John Ford, the legendary American film director, famous for both his westerns and adaptations of such classic 20th-century American novels as The Grapes of Wrath.

His four Best Director Academy Awards (1935, 1940, 1941, 1952) is a record still unmatched, although only one of those films, How Green Was My Valley, won Best Picture.

His style of film-making has been tremendously influential, leading colleagues such as Ingmar Bergman and Orson Welles to name him as one of the greatest directors of all time. In particular, Ford is a pioneer of location shooting and the extreme long shot which frames his characters against a vast, harsh and rugged natural terrain.

ford1.jpg

F00004.JPG

John Ford Point in Monument Valley

Ford has further influenced directors as diverse as Akira Kurosawa, Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Sam Peckinpah, Peter Bogdanovich, Sergio Leone, Wim Wenders, David Lean, Orson Welles, Ingmar Bergman, Francois Truffaut, and Jean-Luc Godard.

Here comes the multiple choice question:

Who was the only leading actor who played in 3 John Ford films in a row?
Just in case: I mean 3 films which were made by John Ford in a row.

Choose from:

A. Henry Fonda
B. John Wayne
C. James Stewart

Ford,_John-Man_Who_Shot_Liberty_Valance_(The)-1.jpg

Stewart, Ford & Wayne

Grapeswrath992.jpg

Fonda (center) in imo Ford's best film: The Grapes of Wrath

Henry Fonda! :)

Out of these actors John Wayne did by far the most films under John Ford (14 lead roles, if I counted well), and James Stewart the least (4 times).

Henry Fonda (8 John Ford films) is the one who played the lead roles in these 3 Ford in a row films:

Young Mr. Lincoln (1939):
14dvd.2.184.jpg

Drums Along The Mohawk (1939):
241210.jpg

The Grapes Of Wrath (1940):
grapes-of-wrath.jpg

I haven't seen Drums... yet, but I esp. recommend The Grapes Of Wrath very, very much and Young Mr. Lincoln is also worth seeing.

Forostar, have you seen "How Green Was My Valley"?  As you mentioned, it is the only John Ford film to win the Best Picture Oscar -- and, unless I am mistaken, it beat Citizen Kane(!) that year.  Yet I have never seen "How Green..."  Let me/us know if you recommend it. 

Follow-up, related trivia question:  Impressionists who imitate John Wayne almost invariably quote him saying the word "pilgrim" (e.g., "Howdy, pilgrim").  Yet, Wayne only used that word repeatedly in one film.  What was it?  (Hints: it was a John Ford film, it was on HDNet Movies yesterday, and it has also been mentioned before in this thread.  While watching it last night, and remembering Forostar's question about John Ford, I looked the movie up on Wikipedia.  So, this question comes with a caveat: it is based on the Wiki column, so I am relying somewhat on its accuracy, which is always dangerous.)  I'm guessing Forostar probably knows the answer to this one -- anyone else? 

cornfedhick said:
Forostar, have you seen "How Green Was My Valley"?  As you mentioned, it is the only John Ford film to win the Best Picture Oscar -- and, unless I am mistaken, it beat Citizen Kane(!) that year.  Yet I have never seen "How Green..."  Let me/us know if you recommend it. 

I have had it already for some years on DVD, but still haven't seen it, just because I prefer to see others before. I doubt that it'd be better than Citizen Kane or The Grapes Of Wrath. I'll let you know when I've seen it, but honestly, it can take a while.. sorry. ;)

cornfedhick said:
Follow-up, related trivia question:  Impressionists who imitate John Wayne almost invariably quote him saying the word "pilgrim" (e.g., "Howdy, pilgrim").  Yet, Wayne only used that word repeatedly in one film.  What was it?  (Hints: it was a John Ford film, it was on HDNet Movies yesterday, and it has also been mentioned before in this thread.  While watching it last night, and remembering Forostar's question about John Ford, I looked the movie up on Wikipedia.  So, this question comes with a caveat: it is based on the Wiki column, so I am relying somewhat on its accuracy, which is always dangerous.)  I'm guessing Forostar probably knows the answer to this one -- anyone else? 

I admit it's a wild guess. I don't know/remember the "howdy, pilgirm", but I do remember that this Ford film was discussed: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Multiple choice again.

A report of the ETSC (European Transport Safety Council) features research on the number of deaths on motorways per billion vehicle-kilometer in 2006.

Which 3 countries scored best? Best scoring means in this case: the safest motorways, thus the least deaths.

A. Netherlands, Great-Britain, Finland
B. France, Switzerland, Germany
C. Switzerland, Denmark, Netherlands
D. Great Britain, Sweden, Denmark

(I'm gone to bed, so I can't check the answers the upcoming hours)

I'm pretty sure France is one of them from what I remember of the World Health Organization article(s) I've read.  From what I've seen Germans also drive very safe, much more so than us Canadians.  So my vote goes for B.  I believe that Western Europe does have the safest driving standards.

It's not B.

A. Netherlands, Great-Britain, Finland
C. Switzerland, Denmark, Netherlands
D. Great Britain, Sweden, Denmark

Correct!

See the whole list here

Page two lists all the countries.

Note that not all European countries were done (Poland would score extremely bad, I bet), and I also see Israel.

Top 7 is:

1. Switzerland
2. Denmark
3. Netherlands
4. Great-Britain
5. Sweden
6. France
7. Germany

No stop signs
Speed limit
Nobody's gonna slow me down!

OK, there are stop signs, but speed is the major problem, especially in rural traffic. Limits exist, but most people regard them as recommendations.
Until they get caught.
You'd think.

When I was a kid and first heard of the autobahn, I thought all Germans were nutters.  It wasn't until I drove, or rather was driven through Germany that I realized that Germans have a higher respect for traffic rules, and courtesies than us Ontarians.  Your highways also have designated trucker lanes; a mystery for Ontarians.  We drove through rush hour traffic so the fastest we've seen anyone drive was 140 km/h and even that was brief.  During the literal rush hour, with stop and go traffic, speeding up to 40 km/h if lucky, no German cars were cutting lanes or trying to enter a seemingly faster moving lane.

In Ontario, drivers would be switching lanes back and forth.  Pretty silly and causes unnecessary dangers.  The highest speed limit in Canada is 100 km/h and yet people speed 140 km/h when traffic is low enough; then there are snail pacers who like to drive 100 km/h in the fast lane even though the other two lanes are open.  It is this sort of lack of courtesy that causes many accidents, in my opinion.  The slow driver feels that he's driving the speed limit, so why should he move?  I also get the idea that your driving tests are more vigorous as I see less mistakes and signaling (Oh My God!), an apparently defective device in most Canadian cars.

We only drove around Munich and south towards Salzburg, Austria.  So I don't know how much of my experience can be applied elsewhere in Germany.

Genghis Khan said:
We only drove around Munich and south towards Salzburg, Austria.  So I don't know how much of my experience can be applied elsewhere in Germany.

Yay, Austria! I'm rather surprised that Sweden scored so highly considering all the "death on the road" (no pun intended) news we get during the summer...or maybe that's because we have no real news so we have to report every single little car accident as if it were the US presidential elections...

Back