Random trivia

Genghis Khan said:
Right.

I cannot currently locate the WHO (World Health Organization) article that explains this further.  Working from memory, the following countries/regions have the highest rate of mortality per capita (100,000 pop.) ranging from highest to lowest.

1. Ethiopia
2. Africa
3. Middle East
4. Southeast Asia
5. Russia
6. Baltic States
7. Slovenia

These are not exact, but they're fairly accurate.  Western and northern Europe are fairly low on traffic mortality rate.

How can Ethiopia and Africa be considered separate things? The former is a subset of the latter, you silly Mongol. It's like saying France drinks the most wine per capita, and Europe drinks the 2nd most.

A multiple choice question.

305px-2tours_bologne_082005.jpg

These are "The Two Towers" of Bologna. Recent studies pointed out that:

A. Once there were 5 of such towers in Bologna
B. Once there were 12 of such towers in Bologna
C. Once there were 21 of such towers in Bologna
D. Once there were between 40 and 50 of such towers in Bologna
E. Once there were between 80 and 100 of such towers in Bologna

Wild guess simply because I'm assuming that any noble family who considered themselves of any importance in Bologna would build a tower, is E.

Well done!

In the 19th century the historian Giovanni Gozzadini even thought there were around 180, an enormous amount considering the size and resources of medieval Bologna.

More recent studies pointed out that his methodology might have led to multiple counts of buildings, that could have been referred to in legal documents by different names, depending on the name of the family who actually owned it at a given moment. More recent estimates reduced therefore the number to a total between 80 and 100, where not all towers existed at the same time.

The reasons for the construction of so many towers are not clear. One hypothesis is that the richest families used them for offensive / defensive purposes during the period of the Investiture Controversy.

350px-Bologna_Middleage.jpg

Bologna 11th century panorama

Oh wow, kudos to educated guesses.

So here's an easy question: If the Patriots win the Super Bowl, how many victories this season will they have?

Natalie said:
Oh wow, kudos to educated guesses.

So here's an easy question: If the Patriots win the Super Bowl, how many victories this season will they have?

I don't know for sure, but they'll have been undefeated for the entire season, right?

I'll guess at 8 games in the regular season and...three more in the post season? I dunno.
You'll need to know stuff about European and Canadian history and geography for this one.
Historically, why were Clydesdales the most common horses in Ontario, while in Alberta and the other Western Provinces, they favoured Percherons?

Well, US football has had a few ties during the regular season in the last 10 years... somewhere back in the mid '90s NY Giants and Washington had a tie, and another team the same year.  However, in the playoffs, there are no ties, like hockey used to be, they will play till there is a winner.  This year, though, I don't see that being an issue.  It will probably be a blow out, one way or another.

IronDuke said:
You'll need to know stuff about European and Canadian history and geography for this one.
Historically, why were Clydesdales the most common horses in Ontario, while in Alberta and the other Western Provinces, they favoured Percherons?
OK, here is my thinking. Clydesdale is a Scottish name, so it is most likely that a Scot would have named a breed of horse Clydesdale. If this were the case and if the predominant settler in Ontario was the Scots, then that would possibly be the reason for favouring this horse. As for the Alberta et al, could this be the French settlers?

Bit of a guess, but worth a shot. :D

IronDuke came (online), saw, and left....

*ancient congo beats in the background*
The tension rises....
Came Albie's answer near the truth...?
Was it totally wrong....?
Do we need more knowledge of horses as well....?

Stay tuned for the next episode ooohhoooooof Randohooooooooom TRI-VI-A!

Back