Random Riddles

StrangerInAStrangeLand

Ancient Mariner
I'm getting bored of trivia:

1) Let's assume a god exists for this. Assuming that he is the only god, the supreme being, all knowing and all seeing, what can we see but god can NOT see?

2) In 1930, two men drove from New York to LA in a regular Ford motor car. These men still hold a world record for their journey but the car was completely normal, it was not the fastest ride nor the slowest, and the men themselves were perfectly normal. What was their record?

3) Mr. Jones is reading a newspaper articlev with this headline: Woman dies in holiday accident." The article goes on to say: 'Mrs. Rigby-Brown, while on holiday with her husband in Rome, fell to her death from the balcony of her seventh-floor room." Mr. Jones says to his wife that is was not an accident, but a murder. He had never met either of the Rigby-Browns so how could he have known it was a murder?

4) You have an equal-arm balance scale and 12 solid balls. One ball has a different weight from the others but you don't know which one or whether it is lighter or heavier. You can weigh the balls against each other on the scale. Can you find the odd ball and tell if it is lighter or heavier in only three weighings?

Post answers right away and publicly. It's not fun if it's not completely the same as the 'Random trivia thread'. You'll know right away if you're correct or not.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I think I put these in order of difficulty (1 being easiest, 4 being hardest) so whoever gets #4 is riddle king.

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]1) Let's just say a god exists for this. What can we see but god can't see?
[/quote]
What type of god is it? Benign, Benevolent or Personal? is the Christian, Jewish or Muslim God? or is it a primitive or greco-roman anthropomorphic supramoral god?

In the context I first found that question (I significantly shortened it), it was assumed that there was only one god, that god was the supreme being, all knowing, all seeing, etc.

I'll be answering any questions about the original question such as what Onhell asked. Hints, I should say.

ok attempt #1 on the first question hehe. He can't see the world through our eyes, he only knows what we see.... make sense? lol

No, that isn't the answer even if it does make sense at all. You might slap yourself in the forehead after finding out the answer. That is, if you don't answer it correctly.

Heh heh, sorry, yes it is something we see with our eyes. Keep that in mind. A thing...

If you're having trouble with this one, you'll probably have a bitch of a time with the higher numbers. I definitely did. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-StrangerInAStrangeLand+Dec 8 2004, 07:10 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(StrangerInAStrangeLand @ Dec 8 2004, 07:10 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]1) Let's assume a god exists for this. Assuming that he is the only god, the supreme being, all knowing and all seeing, what can we see but god can NOT see?[/quote]He can't see...nothing at all?

[!--QuoteBegin-StrangerInAStrangeLand+Dec 8 2004, 07:10 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(StrangerInAStrangeLand @ Dec 8 2004, 07:10 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]2) In 1930, two men drove from New York to LA in a regular Ford motor car. These men still hold a world record for their journey but the car was completely normal, it was not the fastest ride nor the slowest, and the men themselves were perfectly normal. What was their record?[/quote]They were the first to make the drive?

[!--QuoteBegin-StrangerInAStrangeLand+Dec 8 2004, 07:10 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(StrangerInAStrangeLand @ Dec 8 2004, 07:10 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]3) Mr. Jones is reading a newspaper articlev with this headline: Woman dies in holiday accident." The article goes on to say: 'Mrs. Rigby-Brown, while on holiday with her husband in Rome, fell to her death from the balcony of her seventh-floor room." Mr. Jones says to his wife that is was not an accident, but a murder. He had never met either of the Rigby-Browns so how could he have known it was a murder?[/quote]Because the article says later on that she was pushed off? The headline is for a different news story?

[!--QuoteBegin-StrangerInAStrangeLand+Dec 8 2004, 07:10 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(StrangerInAStrangeLand @ Dec 8 2004, 07:10 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]4) You have an equal-arm balance scale and 12 solid balls. One ball has a different weight from the others but you don't know which one or whether it is lighter or heavier. You can weigh the balls against each other on the scale. Can you find the odd ball and tell if it is lighter or heavier in only three weighings?[/quote]No idea.

I'm just guessing on all of these. Doubt any are correct.

Woo hoo! I may have stumped you guys. [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--] None have been answered correctly yet.

For #1: It is a single, physical thing that god can not see.

For #2: They weren't the first to drive that distance and it is indeed a remarkable record. It wouldn't require much geographic knowledge to solve but just so you know, the journey was 3,340 miles and it took 18 days.

For #3: It's all about the same newspaper article.

For #4: Hah! Good luck.

[!--QuoteBegin-StrangerInAStrangeLand+Dec 12 2004, 08:22 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(StrangerInAStrangeLand @ Dec 12 2004, 08:22 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Woo hoo! I may have stumped you guys. [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--] None have been answered correctly yet.
For #1: It is a single, physical thing that god can not see.
[snapback]93474[/snapback]​
[/quote]
And it's not himself... woo ! so, I dunno [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Anyway, thanks for the clues [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

For #2: They weren't the first to drive that distance and it is indeed a remarkable record. It wouldn't require much geographic knowledge to solve but just so you know, the journey was 3,340 miles and it took 18 days.

-They pushed it?

[!--QuoteBegin-dogigniter+Dec 12 2004, 04:14 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(dogigniter @ Dec 12 2004, 04:14 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]-They pushed it?
[snapback]93482[/snapback]​
[/quote]My God, I do believe he's got it.

No, they did drive the car. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back