Random Riddles

[!--QuoteBegin-Ancient Virtual Powerslave+Dec 30 2004, 03:10 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ancient Virtual Powerslave @ Dec 30 2004, 03:10 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]So... is 2496 correct?
[snapback]94919[/snapback]​
[/quote]
No, it isn't right. But here's a hint: you're within 1000 of the correct answer.

3420 [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-IndianaJones+Dec 27 2004, 01:10 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IndianaJones @ Dec 27 2004, 01:10 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Umm... this is pretty crappy try, but doesn't the article say that the room was "her room", not Rigby's and her husband?
[snapback]94777[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Nope.
[!--QuoteBegin-Black Ace+Dec 27 2004, 02:38 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Ace @ Dec 27 2004, 02:38 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Ms. Jones si the architecht of the building and knows that it does not have any balconies?
[snapback]94778[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Nope.
[!--QuoteBegin-The Ancient Mariner+Dec 30 2004, 07:16 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The Ancient Mariner @ Dec 30 2004, 07:16 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Was he a hotel worker who witnessed the murder?
[snapback]94971[/snapback]​
[/quote]
And nope.

Any more answers on #4 wouldn't matter anymore so now I can brag that I actually got the right answer for it. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Even if it did take for frickin' ever. [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Numbers 1, 3, and now 5 still need to be answered so start thinking immediately. [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Ancient Virtual Powerslave+Jan 2 2005, 10:02 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ancient Virtual Powerslave @ Jan 2 2005, 10:02 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]3420 [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]95064[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Sorry, wrong. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Remember the riddle: each man divides the coconuts into 5 piles, and then has one coconut left over to give to the monkey. Therefore, the starting number of coconuts must end with a 6 or a 1 (so that when you give 1 to the monkey, the remainder is divisible by 5).

But you're getting warmer... this guess was closer to the correct answer than your first guess.

I'm currently on vacation, so access to the web is sporadic for me. For the next few days, I may not be available to confirm/deny guesses. So if anyone is desperate for the real answer, just Google for 'monkey and coconuts'. Like I said earlier, this problem is quite famous and the answer is therefore easy to find if you want to cheat. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Continue stabbing - you're within 200 now, but still wrong.

Give one to the monkey: 3281 - 1 = 3280
Divide the rest into 5 piles: 3280 / 5 = 656
Take out one fifth and leave the rest: 3280 - 656 = 2624

And again, this number would have to end with a 1 or 6 for the same reason I gave above.

it's been a month now and noone's gotten any of the riddles right. How about revealing the answers and putting up some new ones?

Not entirely true. Cannon is the only person to have legitimately (or so I think [!--emo&:eek:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/ohmy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'ohmy.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ) gotten an answer (to #2). But if everyone else wants answers posted, I'll post 'em.

The answer to riddle #5 (monkey and coconuts) is 3121. For more details, click here:
[a href=\'http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MonkeyandCoconutProblem.html\' target=\'_blank\']http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MonkeyandCoconutProblem.html[/a]
(This page discusses general solutions to problems of this type; this specific version of the problem is discussed at the bottom of the page.)

I'll take the silence as a "yes."

#1: The only thing that god can NOT see is... (DRUM ROLL) ... AN EQUAL. Of course "a superior being" would also be acceptable but "an equal" is so much cooler.

#3: Mr. Jones was a TRAVEL AGENT. He had recently had mailed the Rigby-
Browns 2 plane tickets. Both tickets were for Rome, but Mr. Rigby-Brown's ticket was round-trip while Mrs. Rigby-Brown's ticket was one-way.

HAH!!! Now I'm sure you're all slapping yourselves for not getting these!!! Or not... [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

*insn't getting it*

[!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-$yk0_H+Jan 16 2005, 03:13 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE($yk0_H @ Jan 16 2005, 03:13 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]*insn't getting it*
[!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]96177[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Hm? [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

never mind [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back