Random Riddles

Jones was the travel agent and knew that Rigby-Jones's hotel room wasn't on the seventh floor originally? Or that there was no balcony? Or that a room without a balcony had been requested?

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Dec 19 2004, 09:01 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Dec 19 2004, 09:01 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Jones was the travel agent and knew that Rigby-Jones's hotel room wasn't on the seventh floor originally?  Or that there was no balcony?  Or that a room without a balcony had been requested?
[snapback]94202[/snapback]​
[/quote]

What happened to one at a time? [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Question about #3 : Are we sure that the murdered woman is really Rigby-Jones's wife ?

Jones ordered the murder.
If God is Omniscient, Omnipotent and Omnipresent because this is the god we are asuming.... it is a hard question. Because if he is all knowing and all present guess what he sees everything. and being all knowing welll... he knows everything.... so yes again hard question.

[!--QuoteBegin-Lib+Dec 21 2004, 05:29 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Lib @ Dec 21 2004, 05:29 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Question about #3 : Are we sure that the murdered woman is really Rigby-Jones's wife ?
[snapback]94295[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Yes, we are.

And Onhell's answer was incorect as well.

Maybe I thought that the first one wouldn't be so hard because the answer was so obvious to me after I got it. I don't know :shrugs: ...

EDIT: I'm leaving to Arizona now and won't be checking this so often but keep trying to answer the riddles. Maybe I'll just make a massive 1-post response to any answers given later...

I saw the answer to 3) on another forum. I won't spoil anything by revealing it here, but I'l tell you that it's darn tricky [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-StrangerInAStrangeLand+Dec 9 2004, 12:10 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(StrangerInAStrangeLand @ Dec 9 2004, 12:10 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]3) Mr. Jones is reading a newspaper articlev with this headline: Woman dies in holiday accident." The article goes on to say: 'Mrs. Rigby-Brown, while on holiday with her husband in Rome, fell to her death from the balcony of her seventh-floor room." Mr. Jones says to his wife that is was not an accident, but a murder. He had never met either of the Rigby-Browns so how could he have known it was a murder?

[snapback]93115[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Umm... this is pretty crappy try, but doesn't the article say that the room was "her room", not Rigby's and her husband?

...my god this sounds stupid....

well i think that's stupid enough to be wrong so... [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

please continue

(edit:) umm my answer really stinks... sorry about the whole thing [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Since no one seems to have made any progress on #4, here is the answer:
[a href=\'http://www.cut-the-knot.com/blue/OddballProblem2.shtml\' target=\'_blank\']Weighing 12 Coins[/a]
If you still want to figure it out for yourself, don't click that link.

In the meantime, I'll present another math-related puzzle. It's a very famous puzzle which every university math major has seen at least once. Let's call this riddle #5 to avoid confusion...

5. Five men and a monkey are stranded on a desert island. They spend their first day gathering a large pile of coconuts for food. They plan to divide it up among themselves the next day.

During the night, the first man wakes up and decides to grab a share early. He divdes the pile into 5 equal shares. He has one coconut left over which he gives to the monkey. He then takes his own fifth out and puts the remaining coconuts back in one large pile.

Later on, the second man wakes up with the same plan. He again divdes the pile into 5 equal shares. He also has one coconut left over which he gives to the monkey. He takes his own fifth out and puts the remaining coconuts back in one large pile.

As the night goes on, the third, fourth and fifth man all do the same thing - steal one-fifth of the remaning coconuts, with one coconut going to the monkey each time.

In the morning, since no one will admit he stole anything overnight, they divide up the remaining coconuts among the 5 men. This time the coconuts divide evenly - nothing left over for the monkey.

How many coconuts did they begin with?

Note: there are multiple possible right answers. Your task is to find the lowest possible right answer.

If you're very good at math, this will take you 5-10 minutes to solve. If you're only average, it will take much much longer. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Is it cheating to use a script on #5?

[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\'][span style=\'color:white\']I used a recursve function and it says that 2496 is the lowest number.[/span][/span]

Tried doing that as invisible as possible.

Use all the scripts you want. You'd still have to understand the correct problem-solving approach to find the right number anyway... unless you want to write a brute-force script, which I suppose is possible but boring. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back